Gunco Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know much about car stereo's? I bought a Pioneer for a gift and I just got it UPS today. On the box it says "MOSFET" 50Wx4. What does "MOSFET" mean? Is it a type of equalizer? or does this mean it's only going to fit in some special types of cars?

The last time I bought a car stereo it had a cassette and CD's were unheard of! LOL I'm confused what this means and am praying it's nothing major. The stereo is XM satellite ready, so could it possibly be related to that?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
MOSFET - Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

This basically refers to the circuits that make up the amplifier in the receiver.

http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/mosfet.htm

This is what the MOSFET looks like. There are several of these for each channel of the amplifier.

90% of car stereos are "DIN" sized. That means the radio is approximately 2" tall by 7" wide. Some newer cars are coming equipped with "Double DIN" sized radios (approx. 4" tall by 7" wide). A lot of Fords, and imports like the Toyota and Honda have radio openings this size. Older Toyotas and Hondas had the DIN sized radio with a storage compartment right below it.

Chevy and other GM products used to have (and may still have) 1.5 DIN radios. Those are about 3" tall by 7" wide.

If you are putting the radio into a car like a Honda, Toyota, or Ford, you may have to cannibalize the mounting brackets off the original radio to mount the new one. There are several holes in the sides of most aftermarket radios that just happen to line up with holes on factory radios. Coincidence? Nope, just convenient engineering for the person installing the new radio.

You can buy an adapter that will let you plug the radio into the car's wiring harness without having to cut any wires. The adapters are available at all car stereo stores and places like Best Buy and Circuit City. Additionally, you might have to buy an installation kit to mount the radio in the car you intend to use it in. The installation kit is a plastic or metal bracket that holds the radio in place and provides for a clean looking installation. The kit and wiring adapter should only run about $30. Most shops will wire the adapter to the radio for you for a small fee. If you buy the radio from the shop, they typically do it for free.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! :)

I think installation should go ok, the person I bought it for had his stereo stolen earlier in the year. He had a decent stereo in there and the perp left all the wires in tact. Thankfully, I will have nothing to do with installing it, but I'll hang onto the receipt just in case and save your link if he decides he wants the adapter.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts