Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an M44 at the last gunshow and I really like it. I'm planning a couple of mods to it, so I may invoke the wrath of some MN purists. Anyway, I want to load for this rifle. I'm looking ahead for reconditioning the new brass I've bought. I'm sure I'll have to trim it and I don't have a case trimmer. I'd like to get a trimmer that can also do any caliber. I know I'll need the appropriate collets, cutters, etc. I'd appreciate comments from people on the trimmers they've liked or disliked, particularly if it applies to the 7.62x54r.

Thanks, Bill

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Bump....I wanna know too.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Very rare things to come by. My Dad has experimented with extracting the standard bullets and reloading the powder to equal the rounds from surplus stuff. He has gotten good results with matching groups that way.

Have you looked at Brownells or Lee Precison for the items?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been doing online shopping looking at all of the trimmers I find. Some look better than others. Some specifically mention the 7.62x54r, others don't. The prices are all around the $60-$80.00 range. I'd just like to get one that works well for all calibers.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, I handload .38 ACP 'cause you can't get factory ammo, and I use a RCBS case trimmer that's simply an exceptionally hard piece of steel that is the correct length of the cartridge. You put the cartridge in and use a file to take off anything that protrudes. I'm quite satisfied with it.

I don't know if RCBS makes them for bottlenecked cartridges, though: If so, I presume you'd have to full-length resize the cartridge before you used it, and my understanding is that full-length resizing of bottlenecked cartridges is best avoided if you're going to be using the reloaded cartridges in the same weapon that had previously fired them (because headspace is now fire-formed to perfection).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts