Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may not know, as of April 8th

Ohio will be allowing residents to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon. In view of this we felt the need to make you aware of the following policy:
At this time, I would like to remind XXXXXX employees that firearms are not permitted to be carried by XXXXXX employees in the workplace (at the client site or in an XXXXXXX office). Please do not bring any form of dangerous weapons to the office or project site. Following is an excerpt from the XXXXXX Business Code of Ethics:

Maintaining a Safe Workplace

Violent conduct or threats of violent conduct among XXXXXXXX

people, clients or others are never appropriate and will not be
tolerated. Anyone who engages in such conduct in the workplace;

brings harmful or threatening materials into any workplace; or

otherwise engages in such conduct outside the workplace, will

be subject to appropriate

disciplinary action.

XXXXXXX endeavors to avoid unsafe working conditions that

could affect XXXXXXXX people, regardless of who owns the

worksite. Any unsafe condition should be immediately reported

to a supervisor or to the appropriate local XXXXXXXX security

official. In addition, for the safety and health of XXXXXXX

employees and others, employees and their

clients/guests who are present at XXXXXXX facilities are

required to be familiar with and follow all safety and

emergency procedures posted or adopted by XXXXXX, including

XXXXXXX's crisis management policy. XXXXXX people must

also be familiar with and follow the safety and emergency

procedures applicable to them at client sites.

The following is a link for more information on Ohio's Concealed Handgun law:

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/ohio.asp#carryingconcealedweapons

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

I know they cannot allow firearms in and it doesn't surprise me they sent this out. What sucks is the way they define it as violent conduct?

You own guns therefore you are violent!

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
I have read several articles stating that a company or business could be liable for injury or death caused by BANNING posession of legal concealed weapons. The meat of the discussions indicated that a company or business is denying the right to self-defense, and is therefore entirely assuming the responsible role for the safety of the employees.

The articles quote some differing legalese, but the main theme is: If ANY employee is injured or killed by a violent act (gun related or otherwise) while at work, on company premises, or representing the company while away from company premises, the company is legally responsible and may be sued by the victims or relatives of victims for not providing for the complete safety of the employee(s).

It might be worthwhile to ask your employer for the name and phone number of their legal department. This name and number will be important in a future lawsuit if someone decides to make use of your employer as a target range. You might also ask how your employer is going to completely ensure your safety.

In contrast, the Ohio CCW law removes liability from businesses or companies that allow the law-abiding employee to legally carry while at work.

I work for a municipality and there was a huge rush by upper management to begin placement of "no weapons on city property" lingo in the ordnances and rules & regulations. Several pro-CCW managers pointed out that banning weapons in city buildings is the only legal option. Property is NOT included in the new law as areas that can be prohibited for CCW. The liability issue was also brought up at the meeting. At this point, things are in a holding pattern until the law department can review the text of the law and make their recommendations.

It DOES suck...

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I would say most businesses large enough to have employee policy manuals have had a no weapons on company property rule for at least 30 years. Probably longer. A lot of companies have looked the other way about rifles and the like in vehicles in the parking lot, especially in rural areas.

So, in many ways, CCW does not really represent a new issue for employment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was talking to a friend at work last week about filling out my CCW paperwork. the next day when I arrived at work there was a " NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" sign next to the door. i really hav'nt any problem with this as i wasn't planning on carrying in the building anyway. if they have a problem about whats locked in my car, then I'll be looking for a new job. mmk

·
Registered
621 Posts
New Mexico just got concealed carry, too. The problem is, they didn't do anything to change the law that says you can't carry in a place that sells alcoholic beverages. That's a felony. Note that we're not talking just about bars, but convenience stores, grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc. People are working to modify the law so that the wording changes to a "place that DISPENSES" alcohol, i.e., bars, but that could be years away. Since the grocery store parking lot is one of the most likely places for someone to try to rob you, that law bites a huge chunk out of why I wanted to carry concealed in the first place.

I was in the process of doing my paper work for concealed carry, and a friend and I started talking about just how many places you can't carry even with the license. I've decided for now that the $100.00 fee and all the fingerprinting, release of health records, etc. that you go through is just not worth it unless the law is modified to allow carry in places that sell alcoholic beverages as long as they don't "dispense" them.

It's a petty misdemeanor in New Mexico to carry concealed without a license; if I remember right that's a $35.00 fine and they'll probably keep your gun.

If you actually use your firearm in a self-defense situation you're going to be in way more trouble than a petty misdemeanor anyway.

New Mexico does not have the right of self-defense; we have "justifiable homicide," and Brother, THEY will decide what is justified, probably after they've already arrested you, booked you, etc.

During our qualifications class, we were strongly warned that in the event you do have to use your weapon in self-defense, you should not talk to the cops until you call your lawyer. This is EVEN IF you are 100% certain that some dirtbag was offed because he desperately deserved it. You can only use deadly force in New Mexico if you are in IMMEDIATE DANGER of being harmed, i.e., it's him or you. If you inadvertently give the cops the impression you could have run away, well, then, it's off to prison for you, Bucko!
:rant:

(Sorry, ranting...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts