Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to do the center support with the plinkers jig? The CD does not really cover that one. I have finally gotten most of my riveting tools in line, and I am going to try to rivet this one (AMD65).
Thanks for any info, T M

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have found that if you start the rivet by using a hammer to start-form the head and then switch to Plinker's tool the results will be much better than by using the tool alone.

I just tried using the "new" rear trunnion and center support rivet tool from Plinker and the rivet still started to bow (bend) before the head started to form. I had to hammer it straight and flatten the rivet (not an easy task), then used the "old" tool to finish the rivet head. So I really haven't tried using the "new" tool to finish a rivet yet.

Believe me, use the hammer to flatten the rivet head (you can control how the rivet forms) a little, then use the tool.

Also, the preformed rivet head on the center support rivet goes on the RH side of the reveiver so that the selector lever will clear. You form the rivet head on the opposite side (LH) and normally it's a flat type rivet head not round.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
I have found that if you start the rivet by using a hammer to start-form the head and then switch to Plinker's tool the results will be much better than by using the tool alone.

I just tried using the "new" rear trunnion and center support rivet tool from Plinker and the rivet still started to bow (bend) before the head started to form. I had to hammer it straight and flatten the rivet (not an easy task), then used the "old" tool to finish the rivet head. So I really haven't tried using the "new" tool to finish a rivet yet.

Believe me, use the hammer to flatten the rivet head (you can control how the rivet forms) a little, then use the tool.

Also, the preformed rivet head on the center support rivet goes on the RH side of the reveiver so that the selector lever will clear. You form the rivet head on the opposite side (LH) and normally it's a flat type rivet head not round.
I have had the same experences as Toter Kopf and have arrived at the same conclusion, but I do it a little diffrent. I am able to produce perfect to near perfect rivet heads on the formed side. The way I do this is to hammer the rivet until I get a good head started like 1/2 of the head I want (it's surprising what a good start you can get and what control you have with a hammer) then I use the bucks that came with the kit on either side of the rivet and smash it with the press, works great for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Are there any more riveting "secrets/tips" you can give for the truionn riveting?

How many different Plinkers jigs are there, and which ones work the best? (I am supposed to be getting the full set).
Thanks again, T M

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
then you will be getting it all. I havent found a use for the "improved rear riveter" looks like a good idea except it doesnt work, the other parts work like a dream

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you guys talking about problems with only the center support rivets or the rear rivets. The only problem I have ever had with the rear rivets is if they are too long the formed head can be larger than the setter.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Plinker762 said:
Are you guys talking about problems with only the center support rivets or the rear rivets. The only problem I have ever had with the rear rivets is if they are too long the formed head can be larger than the setter.
Hey there Plinker762, good to see your post. It seems to have been a long time since we last heard from you. Hope things are going well for you.

As for the posts, I'm talking about both the center support and the rear trunnion rivets. When I start the crush process the rivet will bend over to one side, kinda like if you hit a nail off center. It's a real pain to straighten out. So like I said, I start the rivet head forming process by using a hammer to flatten the rivet some, then I use the jig to finish the process. I never continued with the rivet forming when I saw it was bending. I always stopped, straightened it out then did the flattening thing. Now I always flatten first then form.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts