Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've never ran into this problem before.
I'm working on my 5th build of the 74. I ordered a receiver from "Global trades" With the front and rear trunions installed. I pressed the barrel and I had to do some minor filing to the sides of the top rails to get the carrier handle to ride smooth. But I got it to ride good.
The question I have is when I install the handle WITHOUT the bolt it slides fine. Also when I install the bolt by itself WITHOUT the handle, it slides fine and locks ok, alittle sticky though.
The problem is when I install both the bolt and carrier together it's ok, untill the bolt enters the chamber the bolt/handle stops short of a 1/2 an inch before hitting the trunion. The bolt seems to be locking in place, But the whole operation isn't complete. I have to hammer the handle with a rubber mallet to make it set in place than hammer it back out :blowup: . What in the sams hell is going on here. Please help, I've got to get this build done before x-mas.
Famillys coming! :bawling: :bawling:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Check the ejector and make sure the lower rails are in line with the trunion. If the ejector is a little long or not in line with the slot it will cant the carrier and cause it to bind. You might also give the top rails a couple of taps to open them up just a bit. I just did a 65 that had the same problem and was driving me nuts till I did the above. Just keep messing with it and it will finally come together. Some are just a bit tougher than others and I have no clue as to why. This was my 5th 65 build and by far the most difficult.

·
Registered
832 Posts
shadow29483 said:
Please help, I've got to get this build done before x-mas.
Famillys coming!
Yep, Nothing says Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Men. like a shiny new Kalashnikov under the tree. Tiny Tim is gonna love it. "God bless us everyone"
:santa: :santa: :santa:

Or did I misunderstand Shadow?
Just make sure they leave their gifts before you chase em off with your new build. Pesky family!
:newyear: :newyear: :newyear:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I calibrated the ejector on my previous 74 then guaged this one. It pretty much reads the same but that's where it looks like it's sticking. I'll have to check on the rails when I get home. Boy I hope that's the problem.
You guys are great!
-Shadow-

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Here's the scoop. I took down the rails and matched up the front trunion with my other 74 side by side. And the trunions were very different in more ways then one. The trunion that was installed in the receiver from "Global trades" was a little thicker on the sides. Also where the bolt ramp is the rivet below the barrel was interfering with the bolt also kicking ti to one side causeing the charging handle to bind. By trimming here and there and matching the trunion up with my previous build. It slowly came together. I also milled the undersides of the rails becouse of the thicker "Global" receiver handle wouldn't clear. They say to do this for the blank. But since they installed the both front and rear trunion I thought that this was already done. The bolt still sticks alittle but I at least got it to lock. I'll just have to keep trimming here and there to get a good fit. These receivers from "Global Trades" Are very riged and a hell of a lot stonger then the 1.0, But this is intirely way too much work! I could have built 3 on "Ohios" receivers by now. I was going to send it back but it took me a month to get it. And when I got it, The trunions were not installed so I had to send it back and it took another week. When I called, they said that it was going to be the end of feburary before I could get it back.
Don't get me wrong there product is very good with the exception of hoping to get one quick and not having to spend days working on it. But there customer service is great. Thanks so much for all of your help!!
-Shadow-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts