Votes: 21 67.7%
  • NO

Votes: 10 32.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to have a chat area for people that are online. It might cut down on waiting time for those people who have questions and have to wait on those to answer their PM's.

Is that possible? We have games.....why not a chat?

Taking a poll on this might help to see who is interested.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I voted no because I don't know the bandwidth necessary to have "chat" and have never done "chat". Have seen other sites that have chat rooms and tried to figure out how to "chat" and finally figured out that there was nobody home to chat with.

If it's a good thing that folks will use and enjoy, I would be happy to change my vote to yes - but maybe I have just not had any good chat experinces or was too ignorant to utilize them. Fill me in on the pro's and cons's. Thanks, GG

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
I have used chat on some sites - but sometimes find it easier to use yahoo IM, AOL IM, or ICQ, MSN messenger, etc. Of course not everyone has the same instant messenger software so sometimes it can be interesting to figure out how to communicate.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have never done it so I am not going to vote. I did however want to "ring in" , I like it when people at least respond when I ask for oppinions. maby a good idea but I do not realy know what it is. I thought gunco was chat, clearly I am wrong.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's been my experience that chat gets too confusing on the boards where I've tried it. Seems like too many things going on at once to keep track easily, then again I don't have a whole lot of experience with the whole chat thing. Checked out the Arcade and it looks like a nice little bonus to the site, just gotta get that pesky Macromedia flash player to download. Guess I'll have to try from my admin account, never had a problem before the latest crash...

(Man, I didn't realize I missed Asteroids so much since I saw it in the Arcade):thumbup1:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It gets confusing as there can be tons of people spouting of opinions all at once. I like to think on a post sometimes myself and I wouldn't use chat.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
i don't believe i would use it. but then again, it may be great for the general discussion group.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hell yeah! I think this would really be a great idea. Chat messengers such as AOL IM are good, but like you said it can be a PITA if everyone doesn't have the same software, and you have to know there id to talk with them. Bandwidth? I don't know this one either. But, I'm sure we could get an anwer to it. I wouldn't see why it would bog down the server all that much, unless we had tons and tons of people chatting at once. I really think this could generate a lot of activity on the board. Especially with new people who are just getting started. Many times, I want to ask more than what I post, or want to go into more detail, but don't feel like I should post it all because it gets long and boring.

I think it should at least be given a chance if the board is capable of facilitating this. If it sucks or is cumbersome, ditch it. The worst thing that could happen is that it is successful and it flourishes.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I don't think we are going to add a chat area yet, but you guys can always use and instant messenger program and setupo a chat.

I use MSN and Yahoo

If you guys do want to do a chat with one of those, let me know and we can have a bull session sometime and maybe even throw some ideas around about the board.

The problem with board chat software is it becomes a free for all and there always seems to be one person that gets in there and ruins it for everyone.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm gonna vote no. With Custer and Dezher... Dzherhi.....uh.....Smeg on, nobody else would be able to get a word in edgeways. :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im liking the score of this right now. Sang, dont you think we could try it? Turns out to be a bad decision, you could always remove it.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Gonna say no. There are plenty of chat clients available that don't use board resources.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Well you can always set up a private chatroom for members on something like yahoo and just link it. I was on a board that did something of that nature and it was fun--we even thought the voicechat was pretty cool. Of course to do that you have to set up a yahoo or msn account, but it's not that hard to do.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It's not something we're going to do because it can be too problematic with people joining just to flame others.

I would be willing to do a chat with you guys sometime and I have both MSN and Yahoo already setup.

The beta of the new MSN is really cool, I installed it yesterday and there are a lot of new toys.

One thing about me in chat though, I cannot type fast to save my life. :D

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
It's not something we're going to do because it can be too problematic with people joining just to flame others.

I would be willing to do a chat with you guys sometime and I have both MSN and Yahoo already setup.

The beta of the new MSN is really cool, I installed it yesterday and there are a lot of new toys.

One thing about me in chat though, I cannot type fast to save my life. :D
We understand jeff. Its not how fast you can type......just your spelling!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
sounds cool sang--whenever ya'll are ready I'm always up for a good chat session and it's ok to be a pecker (I'm referring to the slow typing skills pervs :biggrin: )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts