Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Savage Model 10FP-LE2.

A local gunsmith has suggested that I use windage-adjustable rings since sometimes the scope mount screws are drilled a little off, making a scope use up a lot of its windage adjustment to compensate for off-center mounts.

I really would like to use the rigid military type scope mount (non-adjustable), not only for rigidness but for "authenticity" on this police "sniper" rifle as well.

Is there a way for me, as an end-user, to check the "trueness" of the drilled and tapped holes for the scope mounts, so that I'll know before I buy mounts and rings whether or not I'm going to need windage-adjustable rings/bases? Or are we talking about variations so minute that I literally will not know until I or my gunsmith try boresighting the scope?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The 10FP-LE2 is designed to be a precision tactical rifle.
I would be very surprised if the scope mounts were far enough off to require the use of adjustable rings.

But to answer your question, I know of no way to tell, without actually trying it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You need the tools to do it with and they are as simple as a couple pieces of one inch aluminum round stock that has been sharpened like pencils. Clamp one in each of the rings with the pencil points pointing at each other and from there you can determine just how far off you are, if you are off at all. Pretty darn simple tool that you can spin up on a lathe, also places like Midway and Sinclair sell scope lapping kits for pretty reasonable prices that do excellent work. I lapped in the last few scopes I have done for myself and for buddies and it is amazing how much material is removed from one ring or the other to make them flat and on the same plane. When you put the tool in for the first couple of passed and remove it to see what kind of foot print you have it is eye opening. I have no doubt that if you did not lap it the rings and the scope body would conform to get a good grip but it is going to distort things when it does.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Rule,

The method you described is for aligning scope rings, which should always be done.

But Major is asking about checking the relationship between the scope mounts and the bore.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going with a Leupold windage-adjustable base. According to an article by Chuck Taylor titled "Maximum M-700" in the Fall 2003 issue of Special Weapons for Military & Police, the Leupold base and the NATO STANAG base are the only two rugged enough for hard use. The Leupold base is about $25-30.00 and is windage adjustable (Loctite stops it from losing adjustment). To my knowledge the STANAG base is NOT windage-adjustable. It's also (if I remember right) about three times the price of the Leupold.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a scope ring lapping tool... it looks like a peice of one inch round stock with a bolt handle in the middle. you slather on some lapping compound and grab the handle and move it back and forth in the rings. this takes down any edges, irregularities, or whatever have you, and actually makes the rings true to each other. the first step is definitely the alignment jigs, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts