1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man paid $20,000 in support for nonexistent child

The Associated Press
December 13, 2004

ALBUQUERQUE ? Steve Barreras? attorney said he had never seen anything like it.

After Barreras was hauled into court, peppered with threats and demands for money for a child he adamantly denied fathering five years ago and even paid out $20,000 to support, his ex-wife was under a judge?s order to produce the child.

So last week, Viola Trevino picked up a 2-year-old girl and her grandmother off the street, promised them a trip to see Santa Claus and $50 and took the girl to court, alleging it was her daughter.

?I have seen hundreds of jury trials and I have never seen anything like this,? said Rob Perry, Barreras? attorney.

It was the latest chapter in a bizarre case that has prompted Gov. Bill Richardson?s office to call for a full investigation.

The elaborate ruse stretched over five years and involved fake DNA evidence, a forged Social Security number and birth and baptismal certificates, court records show.

Last week, state District Judge Linda Vanzi ruled the child did not exist.

After feeding the standin daughter and her grandmother hamburgers, it seems Trevino parked near the courthouse, where she left the grandmother in the car and took the child into court.

Only when the grandmother followed her into court did Trevino admit that the child was not hers.

The 52-year-old Trevino announced to a family-court judge in December 1999 that she gave birth to a girl fathered by Barreras that September.

Barreras, 47, who says he had a vasectomy in 1998, said it was impossible . The couple had two adult children, a son and a daughter.

Paternity tests were ordered, and, in February 2001, Barreras was ordered to pay Trevino child support . Barreras continued to protest.

Trevino was ordered to bring in a birth certificate, but she did not.

Her adult daughter was even fired from a hospital after she was caught attempting to create documents pertaining to the birth of a Stephanie Trevino , according to court records.

Then another DNA paternity test was ordered, this time done by a private doctor, but Trevino did not obey the court order and instead went back to the same company where the first test was done.

Court records show that both DNA tests were done by a friend of the couple?s daughter.

Because of the DNA matches, Perry said the Child Enforcement Division of the state Human Services Department garnisheed Barreras? paycheck , forcing him to pay child support.

?How can this happen? It is like a plane wreck caused by a cascading series of events,? he said.

Betina Gonzales McCracken, spokeswoman for the department, said her agency is not to blame because the division was only enforcing a court order for payment of child support .

When the agency got a tip that there might be fraud in this case, she said officials investigated.

Meanwhile, Vanzi?s ruling that the child does not exist has prompted reaction from Richardson?s office.

?The governor?s office has asked the Human Services for a complete report on what happened to make sure this mistake is never repeated,? said Billy Sparks, Richardson?s spokesman.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Yeow!!! Now that is one evil ex. Both the ex wife and her daughter should go to prison.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I can't believe they pulled it off for 5 years! man, this is why people have no faith in the system or other people anymore.

Just evil all around

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Childrens services was "......Only enforcing a court order." I hope this fellow sues their ass off.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
dinkydow said:
Childrens services was "......Only enforcing a court order." I hope this fellow sues their ass off.
Well, at the very least he should be able to get his $20,000 back from the state, since they didn't listen to him when he was telling them it wasn't his kid. Apparently his protestation that there was no child wasn't enough of a "TIP" for them to take action on. And hey, no visitation rights either?
Yep, I see a really, really BIG lawsuit on the horizon for this fellow. I also see jail time for his ex and daughter too. Hmmm...fraud, forgery, perjury, grand theft, conspiracy....Oh, and the person who faked the DNA, conspiracy as well (2 counts), and they can just about count on not working in that field anymore.
Typical. The guy is ALWAYS wrong, the woman is ALWAYS the injured party. Child support is the biggest scam out there, if the mother knows how to manipulate the system.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Yeow!!! Now that is one evil ex. Both the ex wife and her daughter should go to prison.
All ex's are evil.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
hey, I'm an ex and I'm not evil. I'm more of a malevolent good. I left my marriage 15 years ago with some furniture, a couple of my guns, clothes, a few dishes, and my car. I didn't want anything else. I signed over any claim to my house and anything left there. I haven't even spoken to my ex for 13 years. I don't know where to find him and I don't want to. My life was taking a different, incompatible path.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
hey, I'm an ex and I'm not evil. I'm more of a malevolent good. I elft my marriage 15 years ago with some furniture, a couple of my guns, clothes, a few dishes, and my car. I didn't want anything else. I signed over any claim to my house and anything left there. I haven't even spoken to my ex for 13 years. I don't know where to find him and I don't want to. My life was taking a different, incompatible path.
I was not refering to you SD

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
When I was a marriage and family counselor, I tried to help a few couples figure out how to establish a civil divorce. I often pointed out to them that we faced a difficult task because the same qualities required for a good marriage - being honest with one another, listening to one another, being able to compromise with the other, being able to put your anger aside - were the very same qualities required for a good divorce.

I do happen to think there is such a thing as a good divorce, BTW. Hopefully I was able to help these folks attain one, and while I sadly have two failed marriages behind me there was no unfairness or bitterness in the divorces.

What is missing in this story, for me, is whether fraud charges are being filed against the ex-wife. They certainly should be. And since this has been going through the courts for so long, there probably is foundation for several charges of perjury, although perjury charges are seldom pursued.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
hey, I'm an ex and I'm not evil. I'm more of a malevolent good. I left my marriage 15 years ago with some furniture, a couple of my guns, clothes, a few dishes, and my car.
Hmmm....sounds like me. I wound up with the same, only it was the crap she felt like leaving. I had to hit Salvation Army for dishes, pans, and linens as she took it all. Took all my nice guns she could find and left me with a couple of old beaters she didn't want (I'd moved some of my better guns though, and she didn't look under the house). Cleaned out my bank account on her way out of town too. I wound up with a old 13 inch TV, an old 486 computer, a bed, a microwave cart (no microwave), and a lazy-boy chair with the stuffing coming out. Then she expected me to make her car payments too.
I'd have happily killed her if I could have laid hands on her the first couple of months after that. And I'm not just saying that.
Still, I'm OK now, happily remarried and all that. Child support ends in June. Since she remarried she's pretty much left me alone.
I know you aren't mean like this, but you must admit you are fairly atypical in most things-I mean, a female teacher posting on a gunboard?

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Think of the other possible ramifications.

Every dirt bag that has been convicted by DNA evidence processed by this clown and his employer will be screaming for a new trail.
He will claim the DNA evidence is now unreliable, and therefore should be suppressed.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
That's really messed up. But don't blame CPS for the garnishment of the fellows paycheck. The court ordered it and a court order is not subject to a lawsuit. Why was the judge so lax in demanding proper proof?????

I hope the scam woman and her accomplices spend time in jail. :rant:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts