Gunco Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1.Which SKS rifles should every collection have.
2.What are the pros and cons of the different models
3.What should a collector start out with
4.What is the prized model ie. parade model.

If you have pictures to support your argument that would be cool.

Last now that you have us all ready to start collecting where do you recommend going to purchase (shows, online autions, C&R, etc.)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Russians are the most valuable to have.

Romanians are very nice too and hard to find.

Getting a Yugo is a must have for the price and the workmanship.

Albanian's for the oddball factor, but quality can be bad.

Chinese because they are not imported anymore.

The Rashid for it's oddball factor too even though it's different from SKS's.

If you ever run across an ultra rare East German snap it up! It was probably a bring back from Nam or smuggled in under some other guise, but rumor is that they have all been melted down when the countries unified. Occasionally you hear of people finding the Odd East German stock sets at gun shows too. They are different with a special butt end.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Anyone remember the first AKs to hit the country were East German. They were pushed out by the cheap Chinese Ks. But I seem to recall, that during the mid 80s they were quit common. Never seem to see them for resale these days.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I really want a Chinese SKS D myself and I wish I had bought one when they were cheap.

For those that don't know.... The D model takes AK mags.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone once told me that there was an adapter that would permit the use of AK mags. I asked that question on one of the SKS boards and got anwers suggesting that I was crazy (I guess they did not know for sure). After reading your post I am now aware how I came upon information that may have developed the confusion confusion. That being said, if you find two, let me know. Jack :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few who actually has had decent luck regarding the high cap mags for SKS rifles... HOWEVER... I would LOVE to have a D model, myself :rockin:
i would think the standard AK mags are more reliable, cheaper, and have you priced a 75 round drum for an SKS lately??? :sick: :barf:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
You know, I wouldn't mind having a drun for my SKS since I actually do target shooting with it. I have a very accurate Yugo and it would be nice to load 50-75 rounds and not worry about reloading for a good long time. Infact, I bet I don't shoot more than 30-40 rounds through my SKS when I do shoot it.

The drum doesn't stick down as far as a 30 round mag either and that would make shooting off a rest easier. The scope I have on mine hampers feeding with stipper clips also and taht is another reason for a drum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
good luck on that east german sks....you can find sks stocks here and there,but the sks itself is the holy grail.
shop near where i live had an sks-m for awhile...think the price was about 300..i figure for that price you could get an sar-1.
they also had one of them china norinco pre ban ak folders blah blah blah for 1500....and whats funny is someone bought it for that price

·
Registered
72 Posts
sorry i went off topic.
collect....i would start off with the yugo...dirt cheap...con is the non-crome lined bore.
second would be the china sks...for the same reason as above because they are no longer ship to the u.s. AND because people like to "bubba"them so there will be a time they will be worth some bucks.
a friend of mine got a couple back when they were going for like 50 bucks...now you will pay new in the box around 250.
i myself have no intrest in the albys or the romys but you need them in a collection.
then you have got to get the best one of all....from the country who started it all russia.
after that you can get the "honor guard" ones etc etc.
the sks is the rifle that you can collect for ever and ever and still not have evry make from every factory and era...
good luck

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think everyone that has an AK should have a SKS. I vote for the Russian SKS with the laminated stock is the best looking one of the bunch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am going to order a Yugo from Cole Distributers in a couple of weeks. They have excellent grade for $99. It will be my B-Day present. Anybody done business with Coles before? I may drive up there and pick it myself. It's about an hour from me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
#4. Parade model.

That honor would go to either the russian or chinese honor guard models. These are very rare and even more expensive.

Chinese Honor Guard model

1 - 18 of 18 Posts