Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick seach on these forums and didn't come up with much on cleaning and oiling.

This came up last night as I was cleaning my AK. I used solvent on a cloth and put it through the barrel to loosen anything up. Put in a clean cloth to wipe up residue. Then I used a flex brush to scrape the inside of the barrel, and then repeated the solvent procedure untill it came out pretty clean.

The barrel looked real nice after that.

As i put a few drops of oil on the gun, barrel, oiled the stock, and then oiled the action inside the gun, I then noticed how sooty it was inside the receiver.

Of course it dawned on me that that would be dirty too, but I had no good way to clean it.

So basically, what does everyone here do to clean their guns, and the best method? Also what do you specifically oil to ensure long life and lots of shooting fun?

Sounds like a simple enough question, but truthfully untill last night I never really thought about the receiver and how dingy that got.

Painthappy

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Since I did a lot of competition shooting, cleaning the gun is second nature to me...a clean gun is a happy gun. Also it let's you checkout everything, kinda like see what's going on with the components.

When I clean my AK as well as other firearms, I remove as many components as possible. Contrary to what others may say you won't wear out the gun buy removing stuff and cleaning. Maybe how you remove stuff and how you clean might.

I remove the FCG, and dissassemble the bolt, in doing this, you gain access to to clean the firearm quite well. To clean the soot/powder residue from the receiver I use a brush wetted (not soaked) with Hoppe's solvent and brush the entire inside of the receiver. I then use a lint free rag to wipe the inside of the receiver. For tight area's I use Q-Tips (I like the ones on a long wooden stick). I also brush under the top and bottom of the upper/lower rails to clean those areas. To ensure that I get as much as of the cleaning solvent as I can, I use compressed air (cans of air used for computer cleaning) to blow solvent out of nooks and crannies (wear eye protection). This is all done "AFTER" cleaning the barrel. After cleaning, I wipe the inner/outer surfaces with "CLP" and wipe dry. The last thing I do is run one last patch down the bore and wipe the chamber area.

If you do leave oil in the bore for storing, make sure you patch it all out before shooting (Birchwood-Casey's Gun Scrubber is great for this). When I do this, I put a tag on the trigger guard indicating that the bore is oiled.

Geez, buy the looks of what I've said, I think a tutorial is needed, complete with pictures.....LOL

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How did the Soviet's clean and lube their AK's?

1. Throw rifle in barrel of kerosene to remove dirt. No scrubbing. Just shake it around a little.
2. Drop in a barrel of Diesel fuel for rust protection and lubrication.
3. Stack rifles like cordwood and let the Diesel drain off.

That's it. The AK is more farm implement than high-tech weapon . . . it doesn't need the sissy treatment that the ar-15 platform does.

My SAR-2 has over 6,000 rounds through it. Other than wiping the exterior with a CLP coated rag to prevent rust, I intentionally NEVER cleaned it until two nights ago and that was because I'm stripping the receiver to build my AK-105. During that time I saw no real deterioration in accuracy, no extra wear, and certainly no difference in function.

The rest of my AK's get the internals blasted out with brake cleaner every once in a while after which I shoot in a little CLP out of a can. I clean the bore with CLP . . . every once in a while I'll break out the Sweets to dissolve the copper. The gas system parts get wiped off and a little bit of CLP gets slapped on. The gas tube gets cleaned with a .45 nylon brush.

For my AK's that's a very thorough cleaning. My AR's are a whole different matter . . . . :eek:

Disconnector

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Basically you just need to wipe the outside down to prevent rust.
Spray the inside with some oil
that's it

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The minimum cleaning is a whole different ball game than maximum cleaning. Just depends on what you want to do. I like cleaning my rifles after I shoot. Just the way I do things.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
The one thing I would add is I dont use oil in the gas tube after cleaning (leave it dry) it as oil cooks and turns into a hard varnish like substance that builds up and is hard to remove.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
The one thing I would add is I dont use oil in the gas tube after cleaning (leave it dry) it as oil cooks and turns into a hard varnish like substance that builds up and is hard to remove.
Great point . . . I leave only enough oil to protect from rusting. Basically I wipe off all that I can.

Disconnector

·
Registered
102 Posts
I clean all my ak's like ar's.
I cant help it. I have a problem.
I am addicted to hoppe's, using bore snakes, and CLP...
I just feel better when everything in the safe is clean, lubed and ready to rock...:thumbup1:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wow that guy spends more time cleaning and lubing than I do.I simply pull the gun down wipe off the piston run a couple of patches through the barrel & gas tube using Break free on them .Wipe the bolt down with a rag treated in Breakfree and call it good.I do this ussaully after Im done shooting for the day. The AK I keep in my truck all the time I clean it once a year whether it needs it or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts