Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some AK's, such as the SAR-1, have the 45-degree gas port which is easy to clean with a pipe cleaner or the L-shaped gas port reamer.

But how do you clean the 90-degree gas port on an SA M7 or SLR95?

You can't get the L-shaped reamer down in there; a pipe cleaner just gets bent out of shape trying to thread it into the 90-degree gas block.

So how do you clean it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Some AK's, such as the SAR-1, have the 45-degree gas port which is easy to clean with a pipe cleaner or the L-shaped gas port reamer.

But how do you clean the 90-degree gas port on an SA M7 or SLR95?

You can't get the L-shaped reamer down in there; a pipe cleaner just gets bent out of shape trying to thread it into the 90-degree gas block.

So how do you clean it?
It's kinda messy, but I pour a little powder solvent into the gasblock and let it flow through the gas port. After it's soaked into the fouling a little I use compressed air and blow it out. A lotta gunk is blown into the barrel, so I assume it's relatively effective. YMMV.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
You can't go wrong with gratuitous amounts of solvent & pipe cleaner and/or a good stiff wire.

FWIW - I have read before (2x) that with standard field use you shouldn't have to clean these, and reserve cleaning of the gas port for arsenal cleanings aka not normal field strip cleanings. It is somewhat self-cleaning due to pressure and I have never heard of a completely clogged gas port.

FWIW.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That is probably why the AK,s are so over gassed to begin with. The gas hole is about twice as big as it really needs to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts