Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TEST YOURSELF! CHECK YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL I.Q

1. The role of those elected to public office is: a. Public Administrator b. Public servant c. Public enemy d. Caesar

2. The U.S. Constitution was written to control: a. Government b. Citizens c. Criminals

3. To be concerned about your neighbor's welfare is: a. Humanism b. Patriotism c. Humanitarian

4. To be humanistic and humanitarian is the same: a. True b. False

5. According to U.S. Common Law in criminal trials by Jury, the facts and the Law are judged by: a. The Judge b. The Jury c. Facts by Jury, Law by Judge d. Facts by Judge, Law by Jury

6. The U.S. Constitution is based upon: a. English Common Law b. Bible Law c. Equity Law d. Roman Civil Law

7. A "Dollar" today is measured by: a. Gold or Silver b. Paper c. Debt

8. A license issued by the government agency is issued to: a. Protect the public b. Protect the licensee c. Control the licensee

9. The U.S. Constitution states that: a. Schools should keep God out b. Religion should stay out of government c. Government should stay out of religion

10. It is Constitutional for government to require a license of ministers to marry people: a. True b. False

11. The form of government established by the United States Constitution is: a. Oligarchy b. Monarchy c. Anarchy d. Democracy e. Republic

12. The Supreme Law of the Land is: a. U.S. Supreme Court b. U.S. Constitution c. U.S. Congress d. U.S. President e. United Nations

13. Senators are not required to take an oath of office to support the U.S. Constitution. a. True b. False

14. The "Higher Power" (Rom 13:1-7) of the United States is: a. The Supreme Court b. The governing officials c. The People d. The President e. None of these

15. Since Jesus said, "Render unto Caesar", who is Caesar in the U.S.A.? a. The President b. The Congress c. The Supreme Court d. The U.S. Constitution e. None of the above

16. The U.S. Constitution allows for a direct tax only by: a.Capitation b. Income c. Compensation d. non-Whites

17. American Common Law is based upon: a. Religious Law b. God's Law c. Supreme Court decisions d. County Sheriff

18. The following quotation is NOT in the U.S. Constitution: a."No State shall make any Thing but Gold and Silver Coin as Tender in Payment of debts." b. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be..." c. "No Tax or Duty shall be Laid on Articles exported from..." d. "Separation of Church and State shall be maintained"

19. The U.S. Constitution: a. Grants certain unalienable rights b. Guarantees our privileges c. Secures our rights d. Protects criminals

20. The Social Security System: a. Guarantees a sizable check to all upon retirement b. Assures us that government really cares c. Puts us under the Federal Government jurisdiction d. None of these

21. In the United States, WHO is to interpret the Constitution? a. The President b. The Supreme Court c. Lawyers and Attorneys d. Juries e. Law Schools.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer, do we get an answer key?

Some of these things I don't think are Constitutional issues. I don't see how #8 is a Constitutional issue. (I also don't see the correct answer for #8, at least as far as issuance of professional licensure is concerned: "To limit access to a profession in the manner of the medieval guild system, and for the same purpose - to maintain the wages that those already in the profession can command - but under the guise of protecting the consumer." I don't see what #4 has to do with the Constitution, either.

And in #11 you seem to be perpetrating the usual false dichotomy between a democracy and a republic: Last time I checked, the US is a democratic republic.

But despite my incessant sniping and nit-picking, you've got some interesting stuff here. For example, it's suprising how many folks don't know that the jury is the trier of fact and then get in a snit because appeals are won by the defense based upon "technicalities" instead of upon the facts of the case - when in fact the appellate court has no authority to muck around in the facts.

But, c'mon, we need an answer key!

Curious about the answer to #19 - I think I know what it is, but not sure.

PS I don't think it matters who "Caesar" is in the biblical context. Jesus successfully begged the question put to him by the Centurions.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ANSWERS:

( 1. b ) ( 2. a ) ( 3. c ) ( 4. b ) ( 5. b) ( 6. a ) ( 7. c ) ( 8. c ) ( 9. c ) (10. b ) ( 11.e ) ( 12. b)

( 13. b ) ( 14. c ) ( 15. e ) ( 16. a ) ( 17. a ) ( 18. d ) ( 19. c ) ( 20. c ) ( 21. d)

YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL I.Q.

21 RIGHT = Walking in Freedom ; 19-20 = Knowing the Score, 16-18 = On the Way, 12-15= STILL Trusting the Media

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Section 4 - Republican government
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Only problem is many judges consider the Constitution to be flexible and allow them to interpret it as they see fit.

As an example, the argument over appointing federal judges right now. Both sides are concerned that the names being submitted for confirmation are either too far left, or too far right. When in fact the judges should not have the power to include their personal beliefs in their rulings.

Houston, we have a problem.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Missed six. Damn, this is a tough class. Questions:

Why isn't the answer to #15 "all of the above". I take the "Render unto Caesar..." anecdote to be about the duty a citizen has to abide by civil authority - and each of the foregoing is a source or manifestation of civil authority in the USA.

I had thought American common law (#17) was based upon British common law. How is it based upon religious law?

I had thought that it was the Supreme Court that interpreted the Constitution. In fact, I had thought that juries (the correct answer) weren't to muck about in constitutional issues, but were to be the trier of fact while the judge dealt with any constitutional issues (with the sole exception of unconstitutionality being the grounds a jury chooses for exercising its right to jury nullification). Can you elaborate?

And I still maintain that the Constitution provides for a democratic republic. But good citation! And, alas, I can't readily come up with an opposing one to support my pig-headed belief.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Missed six. Damn, this is a tough class. Questions:

Why isn't the answer to #15 "all of the above". I take the "Render unto Caesar..." anecdote to be about the duty a citizen has to abide by civil authority - and each of the foregoing is a source or manifestation of civil authority in the USA.

I had thought American common law (#17) was based upon British common law. How is it based upon religious law?

I had thought that it was the Supreme Court that interpreted the Constitution. In fact, I had thought that juries (the correct answer) weren't to muck about in constitutional issues, but were to be the trier of fact while the judge dealt with any constitutional issues (with the sole exception of unconstitutionality being the grounds a jury chooses for exercising its right to jury nullification). Can you elaborate?

And I still maintain that the Constitution provides for a democratic republic. But good citation! And, alas, I can't readily come up with an opposing one to support my pig-headed belief.

Here is a short version:
The Republican Form of Government

Republic: government of, by and for indivisible Civic Reasoning Sovereign Citizens with Common Sense who represent the law (The Will of the People), follow the money and reconcile life, environment, and Common Cents with each other. Thomas Jefferson: "The republican is the only form of government which is not eternally at open or secret war with the rights of mankind." Sovereign citizens in nations with The Republican Form of Government have noble characteristics and unalienable rights described in the Declaration of Independence and majestic missions set forth in Preambles of Constitutions for State Government and United States Government. Free and indivisible sovereign citizens represent government and demonstrate complementary standards of felicity-based interdependent thinking for the stewardship of personal + professional + public matters, protection of all children, quality of the environment, and common defense of each other. In a Republic, "Reason Makes Right" as sovereign citizens vote and act for the good of the whole; and all are bonded with faith, hope, and love as indivisible citizens reconcile stewardship of all public money. Reconciled stewardship of public money is taxation with representation. Thomas Jefferson: "I think it important to see the finances of the Union as clear and intelligible so that every citizen of any mind is able to understand them." Thomas Jefferson: "A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government and it is necessary to close the circle of our felicities." Forrest McDonald: "It can be maintained that in setting aside every political writer from Plato to Montesquieu, Madison was, in these two essays, being more than a little presumptuous, even arrogant. But in truth, because the Framers had devised a 'novus ordo seclorum', they had rendered all previous political vocabulary obsolete as it pertained to the government of the United States. That government defied categorization by any existing nomenclature: it was not a monarchy, nor an aristocracy, nor a democracy, neither was it a mixed form of government, nor yet a confederated republic. It was what it was, and if Madison was presumptuous in appropriating the word 'republic' to describe it, he was also a prophet, for thenceforth 'republic' would mean precisely what Madison said it meant." Henry Steele Commager: "The United States Constitution is the greatest monument to political science in the history of literature." The United States Constitution: "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government." In a Republic, indivisible Civic Reasoning Sovereign Citizens count themselves.

For a really good, but long read, try this link.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/RepForm.pdf

By the way, I don't agree full with all the answers, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts