Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant:

What the heck is going on with contractors in Miami?

I have called about seven of them within the last two weeks, we are trying to get a bathroom remodeled. Out of seven only two have given me estimates, and one is 50% cheaper than the other, another guy just surfaced today, he called at 9 am told me he would be here between 12 and 3....I have an appointment at 3, so I told him to be here no later than 2:30.......he ain't here....another called back today and very arrongantly expressed he wouldn't be able to come here for two to three weeks.........

No wonder the Mexicans are getting all the jobs.

I'm off to my appointment. I am never late.

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
aviator said:
:rant:

What the heck is going on with contractors in Miami?

I have called about seven of them within the last two weeks, we are trying to get a bathroom remodeled. Out of seven only two have given me estimates, and one is 50% cheaper than the other, another guy just surfaced today, he called at 9 am told me he would be here between 12 and 3....I have an appointment at 3, so I told him to be here no later than 2:30.......he ain't here....another called back today and very arrongantly expressed he wouldn't be able to come here for two to three weeks.........

No wonder the Mexicans are getting all the jobs.

I'm off to my appointment. I am never late.
The same thing keeps happening to one of my coworkers here in Fort Worth. He sets up appts. and they don't show and don't call. He finally hires someone and they don't show up or they show up and start the job and then don't come back to finish until my friend calls them.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I know of some folks from my area that came down your way to pick up on some of the hurricane work. I can't talk too much because we had so much rain this summer that it just literally killed our outside work. But we always make it known up front that outside work is dependent upon the weather. I've always found out that a courtesy call goes a long way to let them know that you're running behind schedule.

I can understand the point of view about taking a while to get there, but have some decency when you tell people that you're backed up instead of being a jerk like the guy was to you. A little sugar coating goes a long way on folks waiting on you for things to slow down.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I just got out of my second big proposal meeting this week with potential general contractors for our plant expansion.

As a result of the mess we have with our current office expansion, the bulk of the meeting was going over issues of subcontractor control and logistics.

Fancy words for making sure they show up and actually do a fair day's work.

The general with the best plan is likely to win the bid.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm back.

Good Luck Custer. Larger projects with larger contractors generally mean larger headaches, missing datelines and budget adjustments (not necessarily on your favor). But I guess you know how to handle it, if not you can call my wife for advise. She's been responsible for negotiating, implementing, selecting and handling contractors on multi million dollars projects for the college.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I've done it before and while it is big for us, it is not compared to my prior life.

The office expansion was strawbossed by another guy here and it got out of control. So, I have been asked to help him make sure the plant project goes smoothly.

And it will.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ziggy0300 said:
You can always Build it yourself
Me?...do plumbing?....you gotta be kiddin'...I can't tell half inch pipe from 2 inch pipe. One time it took me the whole day just to replace a p-trap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear bout your troubles Aviator.
As a contractor I know how many shady no shows there are in this biz, hell my record is what gets me my jobs.
Im never late for estimates, I never go over budget unless the plans change and I try to be as timely as possible for ending jobs.
The people I deal with find this odd and I get alot of work due to others neglect.
I try to only do one job at a time, never sub it out unless its demo stuff and do my best treating every job as if it was a million dollar home.
Im running two trucks now and a third hopefully this year.
Its really not a easy employment industry, we have alot of competition, shady homeowners who want to sue you or rip you for everything you got and high overhead sometimes but I work real hard at doing my best and it shows in my work.
I attended college, worked as a salesman ( told my boss to shove it and quit after being told to lie to customers) and spent hundreds of hours under floro-lights at a desk with a computer screen in front of me and I hated my life.
I like to be outside, and I like to work with my hands and nothing beats the gratification of seeing a job well done and a happy homeowner.
My suggestion to you would be to ask your friends and family for their references, perhaps someone you know has had a good dealing and word of mouth travels.
O yea, throw away the yellow pages.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would seem to think that all contractors in Florida are pretty busy due to all the remodeling of homes because of the hurricanes.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AZ...not many like you on the field, that's for sure. My wife must have called 15 people, I only have one written estimate, two verbal estimates, even contractors she has used in the past for the college, they came in looked at the job and never called back. One lady showed up, gave me a real low balled price, told me her son was a contractor, so I asked her for the license number.......it doesn't exist. One guy told me $3,000, another guy $7,000 and the last guy $8,500 All 3 are licensed and insured, the $3,000 dollar guy does it himself, the other two subcontract.

mbadboyz, down here nothing happened, perhaps some of them went up north looking for an easy buck, but there is so much work in Miami, I can't see anyone traveling 200 miles to do what they can do here.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Hey AZ99, Ever redo permanent gutters? This was one that we did last summer. We also just finished another one in November. I haven't taken pics yet. I did have some after pics but I lost them when I reformatted my hard drive. It was the only one I didn't backup.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
We have a meeting set for another one Monday morning. Seems some fellow by the name of Alan somebody is interested in having his done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts