Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped at the local gas station/everything store to get some pop and I was getting out of my truck an old timer was pulling in next to me.

I go into the store and I see this old timer coming towards me. He says I see you got a Marine Corp sticker on your back window. He says Semper Fi brother and salutes me. I said whoa! I was never a Marine, I have that on there because 5 of my relatives were in. He says, 5! He said well then you can run around with that sticker. I told him I have great respect for the military overall. He thanks me and goes on to get his paper then he waits for me outside while I'm getting my stuff rung up.

I get outside and he shows me all his stickers on the back of his van and he is wearing a Marine Corp WW2 vet cap as well. I told him about where all my relatives served and in what wars. I ask him if he was in the Pacific and he says yes. Then he tells me he saw the flag go up on Iwo Gima. Then he says it gives me goosebumps to say that now and I could see he almost teared up. He goes to tell me I should visit the memorial in DC and thanks me for my support of vets. I got 2 ribbons on my truck and a Swiftvets sign as well.

That was really cool to hear his short story as I have never heard a WW2 vet say much about their service.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Good story Sang. I always try to give WWII Vets plenty of attention and respect. They deserve it.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I also know a WWII Navy vet that saw the flag go up at Iwo Jima.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts