Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm really just an old country boy at heart.........I had cornbread & milk for lunch. After all these years I still like the stuff. :smoke:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I love cornbread and milk. We also call it Johnnycake and also Dodger

Let the corn bread get a couple days old, crumble it up on a plate then add lots of Bacon Gravy, damn thats good stuff.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
DorGunR,

Yesterday I made some pinto beans and a big pan of cornbread.

I had a bunch left over, so about an hour ago I heated up a bowl of beans in my microwave for lunch. I got out my cornbread and put it next to my place where I sit at the table. I then went to the mailbox to get my mail while my beans were heating up.

And, my dog got my last piece of cornbread......................... :mad:

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice)....typical Cuban stuff....just kidding.

Hey DorGunR..How's dental work comming along?

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
Growing up in poverty, we would get surplus cornmeal that my sister would bake into bread. She would often put corn in the batter, which was good. I also like it a little sweet. I thought you had a hangover from the thread title.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Cornbread and BUTTERMILK, one of my favorites.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
We ate cornbread all the time when I was kid! I hated it! It made me cough as I must have had some allergis reaction to it in the back of my throat. Just thinking about it makes my throat hurt right now.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
How about supplying us Yankees with a real southern corn bread recipe?
You know the real McCoy, done in a cast iron skillet.
All I can find around here, is the stuff in the box that you bake in a pan.

And while You're at it, I could use a good biscuits and gravy recipe also.

I love southern cooking, but can't get it around here.
Fortunately, real homemade Italian cooking, (my other favorite) is abundant around here (especially in East Boston) it helps ease the pain.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pogo said:
DorGunR,

Yesterday I made some pinto beans and a big pan of cornbread.

I had a bunch left over, so about an hour ago I heated up a bowl of beans in my microwave for lunch. I got out my cornbread and put it next to my place where I sit at the table. I then went to the mailbox to get my mail while my beans were heating up.

And, my dog got my last piece of cornbread......................... :mad:
Hey Pogo, Dogs have good taste too. :)

Aviator........I'm supposed to ger my dentures tomorrow at 09:00, the dental office just called as I was typing this to confirm tomorrows appointment.

Sang.........my brother used to say that when he was a kid........now he loves cornbread and he has lived in Kalifornia since 1963.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Biscuits and gravy........Yum! Man! My friend's Grandma he lived with when we were kids made down home Biscuits a Gravy every Sunday. She grew up down on the Tennessee-Kentucky border and could that woman cook!

Every Sunday while my friend, his Dad and I would go to church she would get up around 5 AM to make all the food for the week. When we got back to their house around noon it was feast time! Being around 12-14 years old my friend and I were not shy about eating! We'd have Ham-n-greenbeans, Fried chicken, homemade MAC, eegs, bacon, sausage biscuits and gravy, pork roast, beef roast, paotatoes, noodles, and a bunch of other stuff in huge quantities!

To this day I have never known anyone to cook that much food like she did.

It also got me to go to Church with my buddy, because in order to go I had to stay at their place. :D We went to youth group actually and it was a lot of fun then we would come home and eat like pigs or teenage boys (I don't know if there is a difference).

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
My wife can make some mighty good tasting biscuits and gravy. Then, maybe a little side dish of some fried taters. Yum!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Don't forget SOS. Yuuummmmm.
I heard a local Radio Guy talking about SOS just the other day. Have not had any of that for a ***** age.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is wicked strange (ayuh...Ima yankee)
I'd been hankering some cornbread lately... with some wicked good venison stew! This, complimented by some Samuel Smith's Old English Pale Ale would certainly rival any batch of pinto beans... not from a culinary standpoint, but based purely on methane output....
Beans are always better the next day.... WHY IS THAT???

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Cowdawg said:
I heard a local Radio Guy talking about SOS just the other day. Have not had any of that for a ***** age.
Oh man, I make it at least 3 days a week.:)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Cowdawg said:
We have about every 3-4 weeks and that was another regular in my house growing up.

We ate something called Gruel as well. Groud beef, cabage, onions, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, potatoes, spices, all diced and cooked together after you brown the beef. I hated it growing up, but I ate it. Now I like it a lot:D

Lentil soup with ham was another one.

Both of those were passed down from generations to be cooked a certain way.

I'm getting hungry!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Might as well hijack DorGunR's thread even more. :D I like a batch of liver and onions every now and then. How about everone else?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lupeloff said:
Don't forget SOS. Yuuummmmm.
Lupe........SOS with two fried eggs on top was my favorite Army breakfast.........and I could never understand why some guys complained about it.My wife still makes it for me about twice a month.:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts