Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Lemon oil, many rub downs with Lemon oil.

You can use purple power too and wash it down

The all time best is to bake it out through various means. In the summer I put mine in my extra car wrapped in papper towels and newspaper. I wrap it tight and put paper towels in the open spots. That does a really good job after a few days in the sun.

If you have heat gun that can work well also.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I stand my new ones up next to the wood stove in winter and in or on the truck in summer. maby in the oven if it will fit and stay at a low temp, I would think something like 175 - 200 would be plenty. I am not shure but I would not go much over 200. I bet a car gets prety darn hot in the summer. a few hours by the wood stave turning and blotting realy helps. my enfield actualy ended up on soup cans atop the wood stove because I did not want to run it hot enough to heat the wood up standing next to it.
after it is reasonably clean many guys put the wood in the dish washer with great results, but I am not speeking from first hand experiance.
Guud luck

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I stand my new ones up next to the wood stove in winter and in or on the truck in summer. maby in the oven if it will fit and stay at a low temp, I would think something like 175 - 200 would be plenty. I am not shure but I would not go much over 200. I bet a car gets prety darn hot in the summer. a few hours by the wood stave turning and blotting realy helps. my enfield actualy ended up on soup cans atop the wood stove because I did not want to run it hot enough to heat the wood up standing next to it.
after it is reasonably clean many guys put the wood in the dish washer with great results, but I am not speeking from first hand experiance.
Guud luck

I do something similar hotbarrel. I've got one of those small square space heater that I lay my stocks next too. I have a rag sitting next to it as well. Every 4-5 min. or more depending on the heat, I will wipe it down. The comsmoline oozes out everywhere (including places you can't rub down with lemon oil). I find it to be a great starter to get most of the cosmoline out, then move to lemon oil to finish it up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used gasoline and a toothbrush for the metal parts. I have yugo m48a that I took the stock, wrapped it in paper towels, put it in a large black garbage bag and let it set in my truck for a week this summer. Seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I used Lemon oil on the metal parts as well this last last time which helped my hands greatly!

I also use Gunk brand Engine Brite spray. If you let it sit for a few days in a bad barrel you will start to see the flaky crap in the barrel come loose.

I have a space heater and have baked them on that as well.

I've used a heat gun for parts around the hand grip where it gets really soiled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been using parts cleaner from Tractor supply company and a big tub. Let it soak for about 20 minutes and the wipe/scrub/scrap/brush everything down, then blow dry with an air nozzle. Sometimes you need to do it all over again. Let the stock set for about a day or two, and the parts cleaner evaportes.

And it never seems to matter what you do, When you shot the thing and it get hot there is some cosmoline seeping out from some hidden spot.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was working on an Enfield stock and put one of the hand guards in my microwave oven as an experiment, (I have a back-up just in case) it worked real well, just go with 5 to 12 seconds at a time. Careful on how long you cook it, I think you can turn the wood brown and or dry the Cosmoline into the wood rather than cook it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts