Gunco Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custer said:
I would say it depends on what the snitching is about, wouldn't you?
Yep. Sorta the adult equivalent of the distinction we have to teach kids between inappropriate tattling and appropriately bringing something to the attention of an adult.

For example, I felt compassion for the Unibomber's brother. Imagine how horrible it would be to know that your brother had been committing random murders. I wouldn't call someone who turned his brother in for that a snitch.

But compiling lists of students that you think may be dopers? That's just too weird. Now, lists of students who had expressed conservative political beliefs, however, perhaps would make sense...

·
Registered
508 Posts
The students said teachers became suspicious this month after noticing several groups of students congregating in the hallways and whispering. The teachers were concerned because there had been problems with drugs last year, Bezuidenhot said.

Oh my goodness!:eek: What's next, note passing? Kissing in the corridors? Doing burn-outs in the parking lot?

"Problems with drugs last year ?" Uh, how about the past 40 years...Sheesh.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
That is scary, middle school students don't have the best judgement and all the "weird kids" or people you don't like will probably end up on the list. I don't believe the list would serve any legitement purpose. If a kid is using drugs in school it should be pretty obvious to the teachers.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
...If a kid is using drugs in school it should be pretty obvious to the teachers.
Agreed. Analagous to the use of drug testing at the workplace (and increasingly at schools) to replace good management with bad policy. With managers (and teachers) who won't tolerate folks showing up stoned out of their minds, this sort of stuff is completely unnecessary. [And this is coming from a fellow who has a rather friendly attitude towards dope - but there's no excuse for showing up at school or work stoned or drunk, nor any excuse for managers or teachers who for whatever reason are so out of it themselves that they don't notice it or choose to ignore it.]

And note that they're trying to bust the students who apparently accessed the list and photographed it - instead of the idiot who had the list compiled the list in the first place and then even more stupidly left it where students could gain access to it.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Why do you think The DARE program was started and modeled on?

Give ya a hint: It wasn't having anything to to about teaching youngsters about the dangers of illegal drugs.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D.B.Cooper said:
Why do you think The DARE program was started and modeled on?

Give ya a hint: It wasn't having anything to to about teaching youngsters about the dangers of illegal drugs.
I dunno. I really do think the DARE program was started with good intentions, and was intended to scare kids away from dope, not to encourage kids to rat out one another. And don't think there's anything in the DARE curriculum that encourages kids to do so. Unfortunately, as things turn out, there's also nothing in the DARE curriculum that successfully discourages kids from getting loaded, either.

Its good intentions were sorta trashed when it became commercialized and institutionalized, which also resulted in it being unable to change when research showed - as it has - that it's not effective. It's really become quite a mess, because the move towards funding of only programs justified by outcomes research is up against the DARE program becoming institutionalized as a setaside in Federal funding to the states through the Safe and Drug Free Schools Act.

Anyway, I think the cops meant well. And, besides, it gave them the chance to drive really cool customized cop cars with "DARE" emblazoned on them. And that's a good case in point: Nobody seemed to have asked how or if spending money on souping up a cop car and giving it a fancy paint job would magically discourage kids from getting loaded.

Donut
Awareness and
Reduction
Education

DARE to keep cops off donuts!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Yada yada yada, the problem, the demise of reason The reasonable man is dead...no more common sense... thinking and decision making is left up to others...the government will take care of me...hello Hitler, Saddam, Marx, Kerry. Congress shall make no law establishing religion...separation of church and state...no more prayer...no more songs about Christmas...can't say pledge of allegence...no more Declaration of Independence. Not turning your back on crime...oh come on, everyone has tried it, who does it hurt....hey kids do as I say and not as I do...teaching kids to be snitches...why did Johnny OD on Heroin. Gun ownership is a right...guns are for sport...guns are used in crime...guns are used to kill people...no guns no crime. Thats the problem, no more reason, just Bull Shit!!! Jack

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There will always be those that believe they can force their morals on us or rules. It happens with all societal instutions as a whole.

I wonder sometimes ho it ever got to this? Where did the train run off into the deser

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
scubadvr said:
Yada yada yada, the problem, the demise of reason The reasonable man is dead...no more common sense... thinking and decision making is left up to others...the government will take care of me...hello Hitler, Saddam, Marx, Kerry. Congress shall make no law establishing religion...separation of church and state...no more prayer...no more songs about Christmas...can't say pledge of allegence...no more Declaration of Independence. Not turning your back on crime...oh come on, everyone has tireded it, who does it hurt....hey kids do as I say and not as I do...teaching kids to be snitches...why did Johnny OD on Heroin. Gun ownership is a right...guns are for sport...guns are used in crime...guns are used to kill people...no guns no crime. Thats the problem, no more reason, just Bull Shit!!! Jack
Well said Jack. I am with you!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I remember back in '78 or so when my school changed the traditional Christmas Vacation to Holiday Break.

Was it the liberal media?

Was it the ACLU?

Was it the Atheists?

Was it those devil worshipers that listened to Black Sabbath?

Nope! A single Jewish teacher that took her protest to the school board.

(for whatever that's worth...)

Still though, the "snitch list" comes off as more than a bit unreasonable. What's next? It could be the "who do you think might be having sex list","who do you think might shoplift list, "who do you think might be homicidal/suicidal/genicidal list", etc. I'm shocked that they found teens being secretive as a "new" trend and worthy of investigation.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
I dunno. I really do think the DARE program was started with good intentions, and was intended to scare kids away from dope, not to encourage kids to rat out one another. And don't think there's anything in the DARE curriculum that encourages kids to do so. Unfortunately, as things turn out, there's also nothing in the DARE curriculum that successfully discourages kids from getting loaded, either.

Its good intentions were sorta trashed when it became commercialized and institutionalized, which also resulted in it being unable to change when research showed - as it has - that it's not effective. It's really become quite a mess, because the move towards funding of only programs justified by outcomes research is up against the DARE program becoming institutionalized as a setaside in Federal funding to the states through the Safe and Drug Free Schools Act.

Anyway, I think the cops meant well. And, besides, it gave them the chance to drive really cool customized cop cars with "DARE" emblazoned on them. And that's a good case in point: Nobody seemed to have asked how or if spending money on souping up a cop car and giving it a fancy paint job would magically discourage kids from getting loaded.

Donut
Awareness and
Reduction
Education

DARE to keep cops off donuts!
Sorry, naive Comerade, wrong answer. The capitalists have brainwashed you. Report to The Evergreen State College for de-programming. Macht schnell!

It was modeled on the Nazi method of using the public school system to convince children that they need to rat out their mommies and daddies if they are harbouring "Die Juden" because the Jews are filthy animals and will only corrupt mommy and daddy and molest poor lil Hans as soon as their backs are turned. (with no mention about what will happen to mommie and daddie after they are ratted out)The tactic worked well back then, but was a failure in modern time when it was applied in "The Land of the Free" because for one good reason, kids whose parents use illegal drugs are fairly street smart and don't trust the pigs, and for another reason, it was used before, as I already mentioned, so people were fairly wisened up to the tactic. It had absolutely nothing to do with keeping children off of drugs. It had everything to do with revenue from property confiscation and seizure through laws enacted by "The War on Drugs" and this fact was even later admitted by the program's founder, and after this the program has slowly evaporated, one program at a time, to the point where you dont see those black DARE cop cars at all anymore.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
There will always be those that believe they can force their morals on us or rules. It happens with all societal instutions as a whole...
Next thing you know, you're going to see folks trying to codify "Though shalt not kill." and "Though shalt not steal." into law!

I think Dr. Laura can help us sort it out:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law.

I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge
with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual
lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly
states it to be an abomination. ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of
God's Law and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They
claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned > in Exodus
21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I
tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring > > > nations. A
friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but > > > not
Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2.
The passage clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated
to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I
don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if > I have a
defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27.
How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different
crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two
different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse
and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of
getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we
just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people
who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable
expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus Dept. of Curriculum,
Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts