Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let me hear the opinion of the group.

Because of the oddness of Ohio's CCW law, I usually carry my pistol in my briefcase on the seat next to me when I drive. Then I bring it into the office where it stays in my briefcase on my credenza.

My boss, the company owner knows I have the pistol here. The other day he came in and wanted to look at it to compare something with his new Sig.

I opened up the briefcase and he started laughing because I keep the pistol in an oven mitt that my wife tossed out. I do this for two reasons. 1. It lies flat so I can close the briefcase and still keep papers in there and
2. when I have to get in my briefcase in the office no one would detect a gun if they happened to be walking by.

So, now I am getting constant ribbing from both owners about this.

I thought it was a good idea. What say the group?

By the way Aviator, the mitt is blue, not pink.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Hmmm, good idea. Perfect concealment, heavy lining to prevent scratching, but one question. How easily is it to remove if needed in a hurry?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slides out easily.

Better yet, slide hand in and shoot through mitt. No draw needed in emergency.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I was gonna say....I have an apron that matches.

I think it's a good idea, funny but good, it protects it from scratches or worn spots from the briefcase leather. I used to carry my 1911 in a military holster inside my briefcase also and there are a few spots where the leather worn the finish, but it took a lot of years for it to happen.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Actually it sounds good the way it is. The idea of being able to draw it and shoot is good. Maybe you should just get rid of the pink mit with flowers for one more manly. You know, like a grey grilling mit or something :D

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
It wouldn't look suspicious at all if you also had a can opener and a couple of other kitchen utensils right beside the oven mitt. :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
For the purpose to which it is put, it sounds like absolutely the perfect holster to me.

In fact, I'm finding myself wondering if my PPK/S would fit in an oven mitt. It lives at the side of my bed, covered with a cloth, but an oven mitt would be a much better way of protecting it from hasty burglers while still being readily acessible.

FYI, I don't have gun cases for my long weapons. I wrap them in blankets when transporting so that it isn't so obvious what I've got and thus diminish the risk of theft.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
For the purpose to which it is put, it sounds like absolutely the perfect holster to me.

In fact, I'm finding myself wondering if my PPK/S would fit in an oven mitt. It lives at the side of my bed, covered with a cloth, but an oven mitt would be a much better way of protecting it from hasty burglers while still being readily acessible.

FYI, I don't have gun cases for my long weapons. I wrap them in blankets when transporting so that it isn't so obvious what I've got and thus diminish the risk of theft.
It is actually even better with my PPK/S since that pistol is smaller. I often use it with my Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS. Both fit fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
An oven mitt is good protection for the pistol, but, I'll bet it does tend to attract attention (weather anyone mentions it or not) because it looks out-of-place in a business/briefcase setting. Hollow out a book, and put your pistol in there, no one will ever give it a second thought. You can felt line the book to protect the finnish on the pistol. If you do it right, you can carry a spare mag in there as well. Include a divider to keep the mag away from the pistol.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Texxut said:
An oven mitt is good protection for the pistol, but, I'll bet it does tend to attract attention (weather anyone mentions it or not) because it looks out-of-place in a business/briefcase setting. Hollow out a book, and put your pistol in there, no one will ever give it a second thought. You can felt line the book to protect the finnish on the pistol. If you do it right, you can carry a spare mag in there as well. Include a divider to keep the mag away from the pistol.
That's a good idea as well. Get a copy of Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter's book and use it. No liberal will want o pick it up or ever talke to you again.

On another noter I saw a really neat picture fram pistol holder deal. It swings open on hidden hinges and the frame is of an ornate and reverse design that allows storage behind the picture or artwork. It has a hidden release. A very nice addition to have right next to your front door.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess if you really want to scare off a liberal you might use a faux Bible.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I like the oven mitt idea. Along the lines of the book idea you could get one of those day planners (leather, opens like a book) and rig a nylon holster in it held by the little binder rings.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Custer......I think the mitt is a good idea.......in fact I'm gonna steal your idea and use it also. :smoke:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
I like the oven mitt idea. Along the lines of the book idea you could get one of those day planners (leather, opens like a book) and rig a nylon holster in it held by the little binder rings.
I started out using a leather laptop computer case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts