Gunco Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, for those who would be at all interested in how to screw around with what's already a pretty little good pistol and double the money that you've got in it; here is a little foolishness along those lines.

Buy a 9 mm barrel and Hogue hand grips.

The trigger is awful -- partially because the spring-loaded firing block has to be compressed during the trigger pull. I had measured that force as six lbs. all by itself and that's without including losses to friction and linkage.

The first order of business is the disclaimer which goes like this: this modification removes a safety. What happens when the firing pin block is removed is that any hammer drop will now fire the gun. As well it's possible to get the gun to fire if it's dropped on its muzzle. It may be possible to get the gun to double by the unrestrained inertia of the firing pin.

However none of this is any different from the earlier 1911's. A firing pin Spring will make this a bit safer. Disabling the hammer drop is recommended.:wallbash:

A tit on the upper portion of the sear compresses the firing pin block. The tit is ground out so that when the trigger is fully to the rear, the upper portion of the sear is flush with the frame. The top of the original firing pin has a notch with a small ledge and 45 degree slope to the rear. File away the sloped portion.

Keep in mind as you're working with the slide that it is upside down.

This cuts the trigger pull from about 11 1/2 pounds to about 6 lbs..

We will explore the possibility later of trying to get this pistol to shoot the cheap four cent a round plastic bullet by removing the roller lock mechanism and creating a straight blow back with a reduced recoil spring. Which just goes to show the insanity of spending $100 and 1/2 day's work to be able to shoot up $40 worth of Ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Winn R said:
Well, for those who would be at all interested in how to screw around with what's already a pretty little good pistol and double the money that you've got in it; here is a little foolishness along those lines.
Can't you just take the spring that presses down on the firing pin block and cut it shorter, or replace it with a weaker spring?

It seems that so much effort is needed to pull the trigger because much of it is levered against that spring... if the spring is lighter, the trigger would be lighter, while not removing the safety feature.

Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don -

No you're not missing anything. I tried to do it that way. I scanned the Wolf Spring site for something that looked right.
There is a joke around the house about the first rule of gunsmithing "never cut a spring". It's always bandied about whenever we pull out the wire clippers. However, I do try to follow it. The results are erratic.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the days when I used to work, I would be amazed at the number of people who could come up with solutions for things that were not problems.

I need to understand that having several thousand rounds of 9 mm that I can't shoot is not a problem.

Because I just took the roller locks out of the CZ52, put in a reduced power recoil spring, and futzed around with all of the connecting and movable surfaces; and it still won't cycle plastic bullet 9 mm ammo.

Not a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
More than you ever wanted to know

Upper photo
The lower pin is a trigger pivot; the upper pin is the disconnector pivot. Smooth the rough tooling.

Middle photo
Remove the metal from these three areas. The firing pin will no longer be blocked. This sear will no longer compress the firing pin plunger spring. And the safety lever will no longer function as a hammer drop.

Lower photo
The 9 mm Parabellum and the 7.62 X 25 barrels are indistinguishable externally.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lightly stone the connecting surfaces of the sear and hammer. Do not change the angle of the surfaces; only smooth and reduce the contact point.

The trigger now breaks cleanly at about 4 lbs.. The pistol will commonly produce two inch groups at 20 yd..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,813 Posts
I thought I would bring this back up because it is a good subject and a thread with very interesting info.....

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine's still my bedside gun over Colts, Sigs and others not entirely because it's rather difficult to operate (not much different from a 1911) but because it fits my hand and shots well.

The mods above are still working well.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,751 Posts
glad to see this thread and will keep it marked for future ref.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts