Gunco Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a case of ammo from The Ammunition Store for my Romak 3. It came in the original wooden case with a sealed "tin" inside. Although I ordered 7.62 x 54R, the case and tin are both marked 7.62 x 59. My invoice says 7.62 x 54R. Is this the way the Czechs marked their ammo????
I am confused.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Never heard of 762X59? I bet it's just a mis-label by an uneducted com-bloc soldier decades ago. I have some of that Czech and ammo and it is very nice shooting ammo.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I was all set to use my czech silver tip in my romak111 but was talked out of it due to the corosivness. I understand about cleaning corosive ammo but a few people said I should still shoot new made wolf or barnol ammo.
I have heard controdictory info too some say it is too hot to fire [actly jamming bolts closed, and some say it is too light to reliably cycle a romak] I do not want to pay for wolf when I have silver tip what do you guys think?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Don't know about using it in a semi-auto, but I can tell you that surplus 762X54R varies greatly depending on where it came from and what era. I had some Hungarian Etalon match ammo that was bad. Some was way over pressure and some it was very weak. The Czech silver tip has been very good so far and it all seems to be equal for every shot.

One of the probelms with the Hungarian was age and the cases were from the early 50's. From what I was told they were probably N. Korean cases picked up and reloaded. The cases were all nasty and dinged up too like they had seen battle or something.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I just bought 3 Mosins and need ammo for them.

I gather the Czech is the way to go? From AIM or is there another source?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Custer,

The Czech from AIM is good stuff for surplus, but it is corossive and you need to swab the barrel before you leave the range idealy. That stuff really boogers up the bores quick. Wolf makes new ammo too and there is American made hunting ammo if you are interested.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Romak barrel chrome lined??? I can't see through mine for all the cosmoline!!!!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
762X54R said:
Custer,

The Czech from AIM is good stuff for surplus, but it is corossive and you need to swab the barrel before you leave the range idealy. That stuff really boogers up the bores quick. Wolf makes new ammo too and there is American made hunting ammo if you are interested.
I have shot plenty of the corrosive 8mm Romanian stuff from my Mausers, but I sure wouldn't mind moving away from corrosive when possible.

How is the Wolf priced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Czech 7.62x54R........

I just received a case of 7.62x54R silver tip ammo,stay away from this ammo,it will NOT eject when I pull up and back on bolt! I used it in my Mosin-Nagants,have better luck with Turkish ammo in the bandoleirs than the silver tip crap. It chambers just fine,but after 1st shot,it's just like the case has swelled up in the chamber and it won't come out,have to beat on bolt handle to get case out. Not good!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just recieved some Hungarian silver over yellow tip, 70's production. Hope to try it out this weekend in the Mosin. I read the heavy ball stuff suits the longer barreled Mosins while the light ball prefers the short.

I think the price of the new Wolf from AIM is 2X as much as the surplus corrosive stuff.

·
Registered
681 Posts
hey, gtbehary...

I actually heard of someone ordering the same stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt a short while ago and experienced the same deal... different marking on the case.
This guy happened to go ahead and open the crate up, and take a look at what exactly there was in there. Lo an behold, it was 7.62X54R. You may want to contact the peeps you bought it from to be sure, maybe they can shed some light on it for you, without breaking a seal on a tin...
Best luck to ya

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
gtbehary said:
I just received a case of ammo from The Ammunition Store for my Romak 3. It came in the original wooden case with a sealed "tin" inside. Although I ordered 7.62 x 54R, the case and tin are both marked 7.62 x 59. My invoice says 7.62 x 54R. Is this the way the Czechs marked their ammo????

I am confused.
George-- is that stuff really ugly ammo with may be five to 10% with creases in the brass? And it came in a sardine can?

I've got some but I have not shot it. I will go down now and see what it is marked. No markings: ugly green painted can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts