Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved my 91/30 Mosin Nagant from Aztec today. I'm very happy with the purchase. It is dated 1932 and the barrel looks great. My friend ordered a plain jane 91/30. No Hex, no hand select, etc. It looks wonderful. Wood work has a much nicer finish. His looks identical to the one show in this pic. http://www.aztecguns.com/M91_30.htm

Mine has this great dark redish color on the buttstock. As I expected, the finish is flaked off in a few locations. Also, the part of the stock in front of the reciever is extremely dark, nearly black. Most Mosins I see in local guns shops have this very dark finish on the part near the front sight.

What I was wondering, would it devalue the gun any to get the stock refinished? I know I'm not dealing with a high dollar ultra rare piece, but I do not want to ruin anything. I feel if done correctly, that it would likely add value to the gun. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I doubt it very seirously, It will take a very very very long time for these rifles to gain any type of value, do to the mass amount of them being imported...

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
mike26038 said:
I doubt it very seirously, It will take a very very very long time for these rifles to gain any type of value, do to the mass amount of them being imported...

I try to leave C&R milsurps in as much original condition as possible. That being said, most of them have had some rework by the arsenals so it is really not accurate to say they are in original configuration.

I have been tempted to do something with a couple of my Aztec Mosins. They look pretty good, but the Russians do no do a great shellac job. I might...stress might...do something about that.

I have a RC K98 Mauser. Clearly somewhat of a mixmaster and typical somewhat sloppy Russian rework. However, that is really part of the history of that gun and I plan to leave it as is.

My Yugo SKS and M48A are in very good shape and all I do with them is some lemon oil on the stock to put some moisture back in the wood.

My 1945 SA Garand is in perfect shape with all matching, original parts. I do nothing with it other than some light oiling. I cleaned the wood lightly with Murphy's Oil soap and put a good furniture wax on it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
If you can duplicate the original Russian finish it probably won't devalue it.

There were zillions of Nangants made and the Russians were notorious for quick re-arsenal work.

You do what you want as it's your rifle. No one here should put someone down for doing what they want. We all have different tastes and that's the way it is.

The exceptions would be historical or extremly rare peices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts