Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been reading about communist weapons for awhile not and just started research on the AR15 (hope to get one this spring). Anyhow, I'm noticing differences of topics between the message boards.

AK guys seem to be focused on the differences of AKs per country of origin. Differences in magazines, barrel lengths, receiver thickness, bayonets, coatings, etc. For the most part, any cheap surplus ammo seems to satisfy us and the same can be said for magazines. I don't even know what twist the AK barrels are....and do they vary per country of origin? I'm sure these topics exist on AK boards but they are rare.

AR guys seem to focus on precision shooting. Lots of time and energy goes into the different ammo, twist rates, barrel lengths, etc. A forum on a particular AR message board exist just on magazines (btw in the AR world it is relavent info).

This is not intended to be which is better thread. I just found it interesting how much the topics vary.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I find the AK guy's are way more hands on, and technically advanced.

I own, have built and shoot both, There is no comparison.
Building a AR is really more of a Assembly than a build, unless of course you are machining your own receiver. I can "build" an AR in 30 minutes.

The AK guys are a lot more innovative.
We have guys making receivers from bent blanks, flats, even some from raw sheet metal.
We also see AK builders come up with all sorts of different types of ideas and tooling for bending flats, riveting, pressing barrels etc.

To many of the AK guys (myself included) it's as much or more about the build, than it is about chasing smaller group sizes on a piece of paper.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
You forgot something.

AR people don't bitch about spending $1k for a gun
AK people bitch about spending $1k for a gun, hell they bitch if they spend $1k for 2 guns...

I mean hell, for the price of a complete colt lower with stock you can buy a decent AK (SAR series)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
AR people generally consider a $1k rifle "entry level".
AK people generally consider $1k rifles "insanity level"

AK people add flash hiders to hide the flash.
AR people remove them because "The vortex can upset accuracy" (I'm not kidding).

AR builder= New parts, $100 in tools, 2 hours. Rifle is done. No need to do again.
AK builder= old beat up parts kit, $500 in tools, weeks to finish build. Second build started before first one is done.

AR people "I use it cause our troops do!"
AK people "I use it cause damn near everybody else uses it!"

AR people have continuous debates over accuracy and reliability issues.
AK people have discussions about how much fun it is to shoot 1000 rounds in a weekend, and how many times they hit the car body they were shooting at.

AR people use the latest in hi-tech cleaning and rifle maintenance supplies.
AK people use old t-shirts, brake cleaner, and oil of some kind. Any kind.

AR peple pay $500 for a "new upper" to change the look of the gun.
AK people spend $300 and build a whole new one.

AR people carry the gun in a hard sided lockable case, shadowboxed to crade the gun in a layer of deep foam, with dessicants to control the moisture level.
AK people remove the gun from under the spare tire in the back of the truck and wipe off the dirt before shooting off the tape covering the muzzle. Rust, scratches and gouges in the wood add to that "battlefield pick-up" look.

·
Registered
522 Posts
AR people have never had their life depend on a gun. If they have they never had anything better than a AR.

AK people have had their lives depend on a gun. They may not have carried one at the time but they do now because of their shoot every time reliability.

I was in the USMC for 10 years and cried when they took my M14 and gave me a pop gun. Now that I can choose what I carry I carry a AK. I own ARs for range use but if my life depended on a rifle again I would never pick up a AR if I had a AK handy.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I'm in the starting stages of getting all the stuff I need to assemble and AR right now, just because I'm curious. I figure I ought to have 1 in my life and I do like the ergonomics better. AK's do not fit me at all and I always have to change the stock except for my thumhole MAK-90 which actually fits great!

We'll see how I like the AR when I get all the parts and shoot it a few times. The test will be if it jams up of has mag issues.

As far a the differences I think Cammobunker nailed it. It would be really cool if someone made new barrels that weren't too expensive for AK's though. I'd like to have a no-chrome lined one to see how it stacks up against my Yugo SKS which is very accurate.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
if you get any of the older military mags..check the springs..i changed all of mine..they get so weak that they won't push up the bullet fast enough when the bolt cycles..so you end up with a stove pipe..other than that i haven't had any problems with mine..it has over 50,000 rounds through it to date..but on the other hand i never had to drag it through a swamp for a year or more..so i can't comment on that. i let that to the guys that really know..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
cammobunker said:
"AR people carry the gun in a hard sided lockable case, shadowboxed to crade the gun in a layer of deep foam, with dessicants to control the moisture level.
AK people remove the gun from under the spare tire in the back of the truck and wipe off the dirt before shooting off the tape covering the muzzle...
That is just too good!

·
'Explosives expert"
1,208 Posts
AK people (me) dunk thier rifle in souppie mud, and delight in the gritty god awful sand paper sound the gun makes as it pumps round after round down range.

AR folks, think such actions warent psycological help.

·
Registered
369 Posts
An AR is like an Italian sports car, when it works it is fast and when it don't it cost a hole lot to fix.

An AK is a Timex, it take a licken and keeps on ticken.

I have shot a lot of ARs in the Army and they worked if you keep them clean but if you had to shoot more than say 200 rounds that was when the Jams started.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
I know this guy on the "OTHER" board who never cleans his AK.
He has a SAR 1.

We went to the range a while back.
He pulls out his SAR1. It looks like something you dug out of the sand in some crap hole country.
The bolt carrier/bolt was stuck shut. I could not move it at all.
There was rust coming out of the muzzle device.
He went to his trunk, grabbed a can of WD40.
He grabed his SAR1 and hit the bolt handle on the side of the concrete table. Kinda like using the table as a hammer. After a couple of wacks the bolt broke loose.
He sprayed the carrier down with WD40. Worked the action some till it moved freely.

He put a 30 round mag in it. Bumped the mag empty.
Loaded it up again and bumped it again.

He said that he has owned the SAR for a couple years.
Never had the receiver cover off of it and NEVER ran a cleaning rod down the barrel.

Try that with a AR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts