Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some recommendations for digital camera's? I am looking for a camera that will take clear, crisp pictures indoors and out. I probably would not be printing anything larger than 8X10. I am also looking for one in the $200 and less category. There are so many great deals out there now but I want to make sure I get one that works well and that I'll have for a long time to come.

I am guessing the 4MP - 5MP would be best, however 5MP are a little too expensive. I did find a Kodak Easy Share 5MP for just at $200 on sale but am wondering what type of quality it is for that price. They had it at Walmart for about 12 hours until they sold out but I found the same camera at tiger direct for about $9 more. Today when I went to the Walmart site, the 5MP that was sold out, isn't even showing up. However, they now have other camera's on sale, such as the Fuji. I'm not sure which ones are good. Here's a link:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=3959&path=0:3944:172480:3959

Can anyone recommend one of those camera's or another camera not listed? Again, I am looking for something $200 and under. Thanks in advance! :thankyou:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I don't know much but I will share what I know. I read on a site once that a 3 megapixel was so you needed for an 8x10. From personal experience I have a Toshiba 3.1 megapixel with 3x optical and 2x digital zoom. The optical zoom is much clearer than digital zoom. I am well pleased with my camera and I can print a very nice 8 x 10. I don't know about anything larger because my printer won't handle anything larger. Once again I would lean toward the optical zoom, but optical zoom is more expensive.

Check http://www.tigerdirect.com/

That is where I found mine. It was a $200 camera that I go $150 minus a $50 rebate for a total of a $100. Sometimes they had remanufactured goods for next to nothing.

My wife just pointed out to me that TigerDirect has a 3 megapixel camera for $75. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Preacher! Tigerdirect is exactly where I saw that 5MP Kodak Easy Share. I was just uncertain what all the zooms and such meant. It sounds from your post that the higher the optical, the better the picture?

There is a chart stating that a 3MP is good for under 8X10 , so I originally started looking at those but found out that 4 and even some 5MP are pretty cheap as well. I like that zoom feature that's one thing I'd really like in a new camera. I have taken many pictures where the background is clearer than the subject, because there is no zoom on my current camera.

I just want to make sure I don't get some bad brand that looks good but the pictures aren't too great. LOL I have bought two cameras in the past five years and am not exactly happy with them. I want to get it right this time, third time is charm. ;)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I got my 3.2 Kodak easy share from Tigerdirect as a factory refurb. $220 off retail 2.5 years ago $159. I went to best buy and got the base/charger for it at another $50?

If you look at some of the contest photos and some of the pics of my kids that's what I used.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
You can do pretty good with a less expensive camera. My first digital camera is an Olympus 1.3 megapixel digital camera, and it takes pretty good pictures. Here is a pic of my grandaughter that I took with it:

Keep in mind, this was with a 1.3 megapixel camera.

I since bought a high end digital camera, it is a Sony 8.0 megapixel with a Carl Zeiss lens, but probably 75% of my pictures could be taken just as well with my older camera. I use my new camera when I'm wanting to do make fine detail pictures.

I still take my Olympus when I go kayaking or out where I think my good camera may get damaged. You can get a fine camera for what you want in the $200 range now.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sang, are you happy with the Kodak? I am really leaning toward that refurbed 5 MP but wasn't sure about the brand name. Didn't Kodak go bankrupt? I have seen the pics you have posted and they look sharp! I'm also glad you mentioned that the base charger can be bought elsewhere. Walmart had that included but tiger direct just has the camera. Still a good deal IF the brand is good. :D

Pogo, your granddaughter is ADORABLE! What beautiful hair! :) That picture came out very nice for a 1.3! The camera I have now will take some awesome shots BUT you have to be in the exact right lighting otherwise it comes out blurry. I would like a camera that takes good shots no matter what the lighting. I do believe that Kodak has settings for sunlight, night shots, and 'sports' whatever that means.

Do you guys think I'm safe with the Kodak 5MP? or should I go for the 4MP Fuji? I could get a cheaper 3MP but since everything is on sale I think I'll go for higher MP's.

I have ordered from tigerdirect before and never had a problem, but I'm curious, if I bought a refurbed and had problems with it, do they have refunds?

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate that!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Sandy, the 5 Mega Pix Kodak should do you a great job. Yeah, you can do a lot better buying accessories by shopping around. You also may want a bigger storage card. I'll post a couple of places I've bought from in a couple of minutes.

Edited to add: I've bought several items from these guys. I don't know how their prices compare to some of the others right now, but I've always been satisfied with what I've bought from them. :http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...rd=kodakstorecam1&contentId=Category+13000954

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
What I like about my Kodak is the one touch feature with the base. You put it in the base and press the button while the PC is one. The pics automatically load into the directory the software creates and it's all by date. Othe cams have those features as well, but the Kodak was cheaper.

Kodak did re-org, but I think part of that is they are no longer going to make film cameras. Just digital from now as we all know film is just about dead for consumers. Maybe for portrait people and that type, but the digital has changed everything.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pogo, thanks! You are right, I have to buy a bigger card as the camera only comes with a 16MB. I'd like to get a 512mb if I can find a decent price. I'll check out your link and search around. I take it basically any brand card is ok?

Sang, that's good to know! I thought they went completely out of business and that's why the camera was so cheap. Does your camera have a card in it? If so, can you upload directly or do you have to pull the card out and put it in a reader? Judging from your post, it sounds like it will auto load, but I just want to make sure I don't have to buy a reader as well.

There are SO many camera's to choose from! When I bought mine, there were only several to choose from and the rest were just really high end. It seems now you can get high end camera's for decent prices. I should really find a Consumer Reports book and check out some ratings. I'm amazed at how many good camera's are out there. :D

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Sandy said:
I was just uncertain what all the zooms and such meant. It sounds from your post that the higher the optical, the better the picture?

:)
Not necessarily, the higher the optical the better the zoom. For example, a 3x zoom will make the pic 3 times bigger. So something that is 30 feet away will only look like it is 10 feet away. A 4x, 4 times bigger and so.

The bigger the megapixel, the better the clarity. Digital photography is made up of a series of dots, called pixels. The prefix mega- stands for million. Therefore a picture taken from a 3 megapixel camera will be made up of 3 million dots. The more dots, (or pixels) the clearer the picture. Because you are putting more pixels in the same area.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shortround said:
Here is a great deal. It's $50 over your $200 limit with the base package, but it comes with a nice case and a 256Mb SD card, which is worth the extra bucks alone. I just ordered one for my oldest son for Xmas. Great Nikon quality.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKCP4100#description

Thanks for the link! However, I went ahead and bought the Kodak on Saturday. I was afraid they would go out of stock so I ordered. A friend of mine checked it out and said it was a good deal and a good camera. After looking for several hours at different camera's and prices, I just went and got the Kodak:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=195901&Sku=K23-3160

Today I checked the order status on it and there was some kind of problem with the credit card verification. So I called them up a little while ago to see what the problem was. They just had to verify it was me since I haven't purchased that amount from them before. The guy said for my trouble and delay he would include a free 256mb card with it and will ship it out today! :thumbup1: I love that place! :D He said I'll get it tomorrow or Weds so I am excited to try it out.

Thanks again for all the info, it helped a lot in making my final choice! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sandy, I'm coming into this a bit late, but I think you made a great choice. My dad worked at Kodak as a senior safety manager until he took an early retirement package last year (he saw the writing on the wall).

Anyway, as an engineer, the man researches everything exhaustively before buying, and he did so with the cameras....when talking to the techs at the employee store, they told him that if you aren't going to print anything bigger than 8x10, then the 3.1 megapixel camera was plenty. They said you really wouldn't notice any quality change jumping from the 3.1 to the 4.2 or whatever was their highest end camera at the time. So with a 5.0, you should be reealy good for what you want it for.

Since he could buy them at the employee store, we got really good deals, we both got the 3.1 cameras, and the printer dock. It is a really sweet system. I have been way more than satisfied with the camera and the pictures, it takes really great pictures. The dock is great too....it will print out 4x6 high quality pics for about the same price as developing around here. Plus they have some sort of clear coat film that goes over them which makes them waterproof and all.

I am sure you will be very happy with it!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pzjgr, thanks for the info! Besides Sang, you're about the third person that said they are happy with their Kodak. So I guess that's a good sign! :D

I was checking out the docks as it's not included with my camera, but was uncertain if I want just the dock for re-charging or if I want the printer dock. I have a pretty decent printer and can always buy the photo paper, is there a big difference between a regular printer and the dock? I realize it is just one click to print out pictures but is that the only difference? Is the quality any different?

Also, since I don't currently have any sort of dock, are the batteries going to last awhile? (regular ones, not rechargeable) I see you can also use a DC adapter, which is a pain but I guess I could use that for back up. I am just curious if the batteries last long. I bought the energizer for electronics batteries for my old camera and those really lasted a long time. I'm just not sure what type of batteries this new camera takes and how long they last. I'm in some grab bag with a limit of $80 so I'm thinking I'll ask for the dock with only re-charger. I'm just not sure if I want the printer with it. Ink is expensive as all hell so I'm not sure if it would just be easier to use my regular printer. I have zero experience with this camera or the docks but I don't want to buy accessories that I really don't need.

I do like the fact you can buy different types of lenses. I have no clue what they do, but at least the option is there. LOL

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sandy....about the printer dock....it does come with its own propreitary ink and paper pack. The cool thing is that the printer cartridge that comes with the paper is sized for the pack. Thus, there is no guessing on ink levels. You buy a forty photo pack, you put in the ink cartridge and paper, and can print the 40 pics. When you are done with the forty pics, and you buy a new pack, you toss the ink cartridge and put the new one in....no running out of ink halfway through. Also the prices come out to be about $0.40 a print I believe, which is maybe only a nickel more than developing regular film (around here, anyway). The advantage is you only make prints of the pics you really want to...no more paying for botched or blurred, etc pictures. So when you buy the packs of kodak paper, you are getting the paper and the proper amount of ink for the paper. It is actually very competitive with actual film printing. The paper is all 4x6, so there is no guessing, no waste

The paper system is special too. It is like real photo paper, and there is a clear waterproof film that is adhered to the print as it comes out, making it waterproof and as durable as regular processed film.

I really like the printer dock setup....I would recommend it highly. If you don't have the scratch now...just wait a little and save it up, it'll be worth it. If it is something you think you'd like to get...no sense in getting just the dock now, and then paying again to get the printer dock. Regular batteries seem to last a very long time, I have had mine in since I got the camera, and they are still going strong. Now, I don't constantly use my camera, but I am more than happy with the regular camera life. In fact since the camera came with regular batteries, and the printer dock came with the rechargeables, I figured I'd use the regulars until they wore out, and then replace them with the rechargeables. The rechargeable are still sitting in the box waiting!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Using regular AA's my Camera does about 150 large pics before the batteries start to die.

I really like the dock for charging and my printer has the slots where I can put the SD card in and do it that way, but I almost always crop my pics with software before I print.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, that's some serious battery life. I've got a 4.0 megapixel digi-cam marketed by Gateway (no clue as to who actually manufactures it), it burns up AA's like like a drag racer on a gallon of gas but does fantastic with rechargables.

That's a nice looking rig Sandy and a great price. I got mine as a gift last year and it was the last thing I opened. Needless to say I didn't get many good holiday pics. By ordering now you'll be able to capture your whole holiday with your new camera.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
With all the kid stuff and forum stuff I do, I would be naked without a decent camera. If I broke this one like y last I would be at Best Buy or Circuit City with CC in hand to buy anything that was decent at a moments notice.

Next year I want to get a really nice digital 5mp or above with interchanging lenses and that type of stuff. What I want is $800 or more.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow that IS a lot of battery time! However, are you just taking a few shots here and there, then turning it off? I do that *sometimes* but when I'm taking pictures of the kids, it's a loooooooooooong photo session. Either they want you to add in a few 'silly' pictures, or it takes them forever to say cheese, etc. They throughly enjoy posing for the camera. :D It does sound like the battery goes a decent time, that's good! I will most definitely get those rechargeable batteries and now I think you all are convincing me to get the whole printer dock. I think I'll just try using the printer for now and see how it goes. After Christmas sometime maybe I'll watch for deals and pick up one of those. I just wish it would print slightly larger pictures in case I want an 8X10 occasionally, but I guess that can go to the printer.

BTW, approx what does it cost for the paper and ink package?

Sang, I saw those cameras! Those are really nice and I'd bet you can get some professional quality pictures from them. The one I just bought, does allow you to change lenses but I am limited on the amount of zoom. I think those expensive camera's have like a 12X optical zoom and 10X digital zoom. My buddy told me that you want a higher optical zoom because it's more 'natural' looking than a digital zoom.?.? I guess one could really get into that and get all sorts of neat gadgets LOL I'll be happy if I can just get some clear shots in any type of light. :D

I'm glad I am getting it before the Holidays, this way I'll know what I'm doing come Christmas morning. I have to get a picture of my daughters face when she sees her new bike! That's one picture I don't want to miss! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Yup, optical zoom is like the good old newpaper or wedding photogs type cameras with big lenses.

The dig zoom is inside the camera and has trouble with longer ranges. I tend to find that my dig camcorder makes grainy pictures when I zoom it out on the dig zoom.

We need the Rifleman here to discuss this stuff, he is a professional Photog, but he doesn't come around her anymore. He has a different name here, but he seem sto have fallen off the face of the Earth recently.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts