Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently applied for a Brazilian visa, and received my passport, with the visa inside, back today. While they give visas to a lot of citizens of other countries free, they charge for visas from certain countries. This is from their web site:

"The consular fee for a tourist visa is ?16.00. Based on reciprocity, however, nationals of the following countries are charged as follows: Australia (?28.00); Canada (?32.00); Japan (?40.00);Nigeria (?32.00); Russia (?40.00). For United Arab Emirates citizens, an additional processing fee of?44.00 is applicable, based on reciprocity.
For USA citizens, tourist visa is gratis, but a processing fee of ?80.00 is applicable, based on reciprocity."

And it case THAT wasn't clear enough, this is the receipt I received back: (Note: The yellow highlighting is mine)

I also understand I will be fingerprinted, searched, and generally harassed when I enter the country. This is in direct response to the new U.S. Homeland Security laws.

It gave me a laugh. :D

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
They are probably screwing themselves. They are wanting American tourists to come and spend US dollars in their country. No telling how much they could possibly lose from this.

They don't like our security laws, tell em to stay home. :D

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I am looking at mine right now from 1997. If I am reading it right, it was $60 U.S.

There is a "tabela" of 237 but I am not sure what it means.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I'm guessing it's a way they can just rip off US citizens for more money and then try to blame it on our government, not theirs.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
There was an issue with some Brazilians arriving into Miami a few month ago, regarding immigration and fees, I guess they are now trying to get even. When you get there be careful, crime is at an all time high in some cities.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Last time I was there we received a warning about dealing with children on the street as young as five.

They were getting many reports of the young ones having a gun and just walking up to someone and shooting them. Then taking valuables back to their criminal master. No warning or demand for money. Just shoot.

This was in Sao Paulo.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
So many great places right here in the US that I'll never live long enough to visit all of them. They can have their rathole. When ya go PJ, watch yer back. :whack:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the US bombed Libya, I was living in Germany at the time. Remember the flap France rasied about flying over their country without permission? One way they (attempted) to retaliate was to immediately make all US citizens have a visa before visiting France.

This inflated "fee" while mentioning that the actual visa is "gratis" reminds me of that.

And yes, I have heard that crime is horrible down there. I've already bought an under-the-clothes money holder.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Make sure you only take Radio Cabs. Don't take a chance on any "entreprenuers".

As I posted, don't get involved in any handouts to kids on the street no matter how young they are.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
PjS said:
When the US bombed Libya, I was living in Germany at the time. Remember the flap France rasied about flying over their country without permission? One way they (attempted) to retaliate was to immediately make all US citizens have a visa before visiting France.

This inflated "fee" while mentioning that the actual visa is "gratis" reminds me of that.

And yes, I have heard that crime is horrible down there. I've already bought an under-the-clothes money holder.
Just make sure that yer clothes don't get turned inside out - while you are wearing them. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pogo said:
Just make sure that yer clothes don't get turned inside out - while you are wearing them. :D
Now, THAT would be a vacation memory I won't soon forget. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Custer said:
Last time I was there we received a warning about dealing with children on the street as young as five.

They were getting many reports of the young ones having a gun and just walking up to someone and shooting them. Then taking valuables back to their criminal master. No warning or demand for money. Just shoot.

This was in Sao Paulo.
I meant to ask you earlier when I posted of when you were there last? Do you know any web sites that report the latest scams, etc., going on there?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
1998. Check with the consular office either before or when you arrive. I also think they have a web site with updates but I think you are better off talking to a person.

On my last trip, I was on a trade mission and working with Commerce and State so we were given some personal briefings.

Let me tell you, those young Marines with M-16's at foreign US consular buildings don't flinch or blink.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Custer said:
1998. Check with the consular office either before or when you arrive. I also think they have a web site with updates but I think you are better off talking to a person.

On my last trip, I was on a trade mission and working with Commerce and State so we were given some personal briefings.

Let me tell you, those young Marines with M-16's at foreign US consular buildings don't flinch or blink.
As someone who has served the US in foreign lands for the last 20 years, I know how impressive those Marines are! Especially since I served in the USMC from 1976 - 1984. Makes me proud.

I am a bit concerned over the crime there, but I'm not going to dwell on it. I will be under the care of a prominient citizen of the city where I am staying while there, so I hope things will go well. Least they shall if I can cure my desires to always "find out whats down there................" :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts