Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok looking for insight, I think I know the answer, pretty sure i do
as most know I have been doing aks for 15-20yrs, never encountered this problem before

but today I took out the new East german 223 build I finished two weeks ago, seems I have resolved the feeding issues cycles fine

today I fired the rifle with reloads fired and fed the next round perfectly, but then the hammer did not release when I pulled the trigger , it did this repeatily
so I took off the top cover I noted the disconnector was not releasing the hammer, it does when dry firing, but not when firing live ammo????
so took a thin screwdriver and manually released it and tried it again and again the disconnector would not release the hammer when fired

emptied the gun and dry fired, cycled it and the disconnector released the hammer. i also fired two factory 223 rounds thinking my reloads where too much, but no the disconnector still held the hammer

I assume the disconnector needs to be replaced or touched with a stone, these are tapco single hook internals

your thoughts???

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
No ideer, so I'll post the first thing that came to mind.

That set up will not allow the hammer to drop on an open bolt.

A live round holds the bolt open for any number of reasons???

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bolt closes fine, not the problem

thanks though

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Did you check the diconector spring or for one of the old Tapco over dept disconnetor spring cavities? Trigger hanging on the receiver? Trigger spring off the trigger ears?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hammer not hanging up or the trigger

could be the cavity for the disconnector and or the hole beening to shallow

thought about trimming the coils

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
HMMM WITH OUT SEEING ID SAY YOUR GOING TO NEED TO FILE THE HAMMER A BIT . MAKE SERE THERE IS NO BURS ON THE EDGE OF THE HAMMER OR THAT THE ANGLE OF THE HAMER IS NOT LEADING UP TO MUCH . I HAVE SEEN IT ON A FEW BUILDS BUT IT WAS GENERALY FROM ME TWEAKING THE PRE TRAVEL AN OTHER STUFF ON A CUSTOM TRIGGER JOB .

DUMB QUESTION AN IM SURE YOU LOOKED BUT THE TRIGGER PIN IS NOT COMING OUT OR THE SPRING IT NOT ON ONE LEG OF THE TRIGGER ???

I WOULD NOT CUT THE SPRING .

WISH I COULD SEE IT IN PERSON.

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
Is the disconnector not releasing the hammer when you let the trigger go forward? I have had that happen before. I polished the mateing surfaces and it started working. I also had one that the trigger was rubbing on the trigger opening in the receiver. When it happens can you push the trigger forward and make it release?

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
I also had one that the trigger was rubbing on the trigger opening in the receiver. When it happens can you push the trigger forward and make it release?
YEAP THATS ONE I HAVE SEEN ALSO.

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
There have been reports that the Tapco G2 "single hook" fire control set has had malfunctions when installed in some receivers on the market. These reported malfunctions have included the NDS-3 and the old model NDS-65 "economy" receivers.

The most common problem is "hammer follow".

This is when the hammer is NOT caught by the disconnector, and follows the bolt carrier forward, failing to reset for the next shot.
troubleshooting page

Is it a Nodak sprat.. Remember Tapco had a recall on the rear disconnector..
Hole was to deep for the spring.. Hell I had a few with no holes for the damn spring..
Even if it not a Nodak and the hole is to shallow on the diconect, it might be putting to much pressure on it to release.
Could cause hammer lock or follow through.. Just a thought?
Think that was the one I set the record 120 foot AK toss with?

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
I bet I know what it is

Look at the hammer spring legs that hook over the trigger, if one or both sides look like they are bent inward, they will rub against the disconnector and can hold it in place rather then letting the disconnector move free.
Easy fix, just bend them back into shape, I used two pliers, one to hold it near the bend and the other do the bending. If you want you can pull it out of the rifle to make it easier to work on

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
O.K...

Whoever figures this one out for Sprat.. Gets an all expenses paid trip on the cruise ship of their choice, for two. Or 3 if you want to bring the girlfriend and the wife.
That's Right.
Your trip will include a top deck cabin, with a balcony..
You will be treated to first class dining with the Captain.. Even steer the ship for a bit.. 7 days of fun in the Caribbean. Mud packs for the wife, skeet shooting off the back of the ship.. All you can eat lobster and steak buffets.
This contest will not last, he will figure it out..
"Taxes and booze not included with this offer. Must be 18 or older to enter."
Sprat will announce the winner.. Enter now, good luck..

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
and the winner is MTDEW!!!!!!!!!!, only I guess 4th is paying for it

yep the trigger is binding, when pushed forward it releases. ichecked the hammer springs are in place and fine plus I did not have this problem last week,

the disconnect spring is fine I mentioned trimming it last night i should have said a long spring, but again this worked fine last week

so yep i have to figure why the sudden bind, good cleaning!!

MTDEW will be joined by Biggun because after a good cleaning it appears the hammer and disconector need to be gently filed then stoned again just a "C" hair. if i flick the trigger all works well or push it forward all works well

it locked the hammer back by a "C" hair glad I didn't start stoning it

thanks for the suggestions and assistance it shows no matter how many of these things one builds there are always issues that can come up

most important was the feeding issue, once I resolved that it seemed to be a homerun

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
I would have got sea sick any way. I spend as much time on the triggers as i do on the build sometimes. .

Check one more thing make sure very end of the spring were it hooks over the trigger doesn't bottom out on the reciver or hit the side.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sounds like you are using some type of replacememt non spec disconnector spring. I would susect that as the culprit. I have never really had FCG issues that you describe that were not simple contact or rubbing parts.., unless bad parts were in the mix.

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
Hey. Like Richard Pryor said..
"Give everybody in the bar a drink."
"Dude. I did not say I was paying for it. Said just give everybody a drink."

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep could be the spring and/or it could be the depth of the hole in the disconnector beening to deep, or the hammer edge off spec
I could stuff a small wad of steel wool in the disconnector hole and see if that resolves the problem if so the i need to fill the hole with jb weld or a longer spring or touch the hammer with a file, leaving the disconnector alone
there is no rubbing or legs of the hammer spring touching the base of the receiver though they are good thoughts

I have removed the trigger and disconnector and pin throughly cleaned and greased everything

let see what happens

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
figured it out

last week I was having trouble feeding from the mag so I ground the rivets out and started over, seemed some of the rivets were not flush and caused the mag to hang down. so I removed the rivets on the trigger guard and started over with a trigger guard rivet jig, while doing the rear rivet some how the reciever bend inward to the reciever at that point and therefore did not allow the trigger to rebound/reset properly. So i just removered the pistol grip . fcg and selector lever and hammered that area around the rear triggerguard rear rivet flush with the rest of the receiver, then reassembled and now works like a charm

so it was not the the hammer, or disconnector spring or disconnector hole

it was sprat
I did this one and another eg parts kit in 7.62 at the same time, no problem with that one, she runs like a deer. I will hit the range tomorrow and get this puppy see how it runs also. otherwise here in the shop she functions fine

Thanks for the help all

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just back from the range zero feeding or function problems, also checked out all the polish 223 mags I had with reloads, again all functional, that wieger barrel shot some tight groups just got to set the sights and decide if i want to put a side mount for a scope

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
just back from the range zero feeding or function problems, also checked out all the polish 223 mags I had with reloads, again all functional, that wieger barrel shot some tight groups just got to set the sights and decide if i want to put a side mount for a scope
GET THAT THING SCOPED FIND OUT HOW GOOD IT IS . MAYBE ONE OF THOSE CHEAP BERYL TYPE RAILS JUST TO SEE HOW IT GROUPS THERE EASY TO REMOVE AN NO PERMINATE MODS.

IM GOING TO THROW A 24X ON MY CLONE AN BENCH IT JUST TO SEE . IM NOT SURE THE RED DOT IS FOR ME THATS ON IT. IM THINKING A 3X9 SHORT SCOPE WOULD BE MORE USEFUL FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO.

GLAD YOU GOT IT WORKING GOOD. HOWS IT LOOK???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts