Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the availablility and high quality of Bulgarian '74 kits and the paucity of SAR-3's (or any good quality 5.56 AK for that matter) I'm thinking about modding one of my kits to fire 5.56.

So, here is what I assume I need to do:

Get a 5.45 receiver
. . . a 5.56 barrel
. . . a 7.62 carrier
. . . a 5.56 bolt head

I think (and this is where I need y'alls help) that the front trunnion is a standard 5.45 cut. The 7.62 carrier is supposedly the correct size for the 5.56 bolt head. Anyone tried this? Am I completely incorrect in my assumptions?

Disconnector

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doh! I was reminded over at ARFcom that it would be cheaper to just buy a 5.56 Saiga and convert it. That's the route I'm taking . . . .

The reason for the 7.62 carrier is that (supposedly) the 5.56 bolt head fits it, not the 5.45 carrier. [shrugs]

Disconnector

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Yeah and that's the joy of a 5.56 AK build - no one sat down and developed a standard pattern, so you have at least 2 different designs that went 2 different directions. Biggest confusion is with the magazine selection!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
5.56 build can be fun (I'm working on one now). The 7.62 bolt carrier will work with the 5.56 chinese bolt. I'm not sure on the bulgarian 5.56 bolt (if a 7.62 carrier will work) but do know that kvar sells a 5.56 bolt carrier. Have you decided to go with a saiga conversion or to piece together a build?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Sniper69 what barrel are you using? Please let us know how it's working. What magazines are you going to use? I have a Galil(1 in12")barrel and a front receiver section to use for a trunion but don't have a gas block, top cover or gas tube so I may try to make a hybrid. It may be easier just to start with the Bulgie '74 and buy a barrel? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Sniper69 what barrel are you using? Please let us know how it's working. What magazines are you going to use? I have a Galil(1 in12")barrel and a front receiver section to use for a trunion but don't have a gas block, top cover or gas tube so I may try to make a hybrid. It may be easier just to start with the Bulgie '74 and buy a barrel? :dunno:
Guess you could say I was lucky in scoring parts from an 84s. The receiver and trunnions were used by the person I bought the parts from to build a preban krink on. So the parts included the chinese FCG, complete barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, gas tube, top cover, and retainer pins and some springs. For a front trunnion I bought one of the new bulgarian trunnions from global trades and drilled and tapped the existing holes and using my hesse receiver located and drilled and tapped the trunnion holes at the top. Seeing this was a new trunnion and I didn't have a press, and after contacting Troy at InRange, I sent the barrel, trunnion, bolt and bolt carrier to him to have the barrel pressed and headspaced. Now I have the barreled trunnion in my receiver, the trigger guard installed, am using a romanian rear trunnion, and have a Gtech G2 trigger installed into it. I was originally going to use norinco mags, but since have sold them and have both wieger and bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags. The same problem exists with both though. They don't want to go in all the way at the rear of the mag opening. After much thought and days of picking up my project and looking at it (always trying for a different perspective and trying not to go the wrong direction on it like I already have with the mag problem, lol) I found that if I notch the trigger guard and selector stop slightly the mags will go into place. Once I have that done it will be complete and I'll test fire it on my next range trip. For US parts I have G2 FCG (3), K-var Black (or I might use plum I have both) nato length stock set (3), hesse receiver (1) and an US made ak-74 style muzzle brake (I was told it was US but US isn't marked on it, either way I would have enough parts without it being US).

Once it is complete I'll take pictures and post them. I am hoping that this time the answer for the mag problem works, lol. I originally thought it was the bullet guide and dremeled a bit on it. To be safe (in case I ground to much off) I have a 5.56 bullet guide coming from k-var with my latest order from them. That way if it is needed I can put a different bullet guide in. I'll try to keep everyone posted on how this works out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts