Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure any purpose for dreaming. It is not limited to humans. My dog barks and runs in her sleep. I've heard of people seeing a future event in a dream/nightmare, others have visited deceased loved ones, and some have sex.

Anyone have insight or thought about it?

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I understand Smegma is a clinical psychologist.....maybe ask the question again in a couple of days....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had dreams about the deceased, though, in my case, it was hardly a loved one--but that's another issue. I had what I suppose you could call a "prophetic" dream about where I would be stationed in the Navy (many, many years ago), but I don't believe in such dreams.

I have heard that schizophrenics don't dream.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
dreams are a release for the mind, or so I've heard.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
The part of the brain that never sleeps, producing neurone discharges. Funny to watch a dog while having a dream, they move their legs and even try to bark, their "facial" expressions also change, mine does it too.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Dreams are a way of keeping us living.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I hate night terrors! For a while I used to get them really bad! Like fighting and kicking along with screaming. Always fighting off some weird thing like giant spiders or some shit. Drives my wife nuts when I get a rash of them. Happens when I'm stressed out mostly.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Angels often appeared in many cases throughout the Bible in the form of dreams to tell people of an upcoming event or to give them instruction. Joseph was going to divorce the Virgin Mary until Gabriel appeared to him in a dream. But that doesn't mean that all dreams are from God.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Preacher said:
But that doesn't mean that all dreams are from God.
Nope....Some ARE from bad meat.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
preacher
I am shure glad you posted before me , because my thought is very similar. I believe OFTEN dreams are a way for the devil to try to work on us. no not allways but sometimes that is how he gets in ... {wispers in your ear} ..

next thought. as a child dreams were ALL bad. in time I got to recognize I was dreaming in my sleep, then I was able to controle the dream, not long after this I was able to just STOP IT. life and sleep was much better after that.
now MANY years later without dreams {best as I can tell} dreams have come back from time to time. Now the few times I do dream I wake up , and it feels like I am allways going back to the same place. ... the basements and tunnels of the 150 year old very large state hospital. that I worked at till it was closed down. I allways wake up their if I dream . then come back to my bed. fortunatly this dreaming happens infrequantly.. ANYONE see session nine movie,,, I worked their,a place that was literaly a nightmare in this reality. you gust can not immagine this place and the things that happened their.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, everyone dreams often every night, we just remember them all.(Am I right Cephus ?)

One personal experience I've had is when a close friend was lost in an auto accident. He was comming home one night, fell asleep, and drove head on into a tree.(Happened in Cephus backyard, literally) There was no attempt to hit the brake, no skid marks of any type. I wasn't more than 45 seconds behind him. Where he wrecked there was a huge hole that the state used for drainage years ago. But when ran of the road he raised a cloud of dust and it was so heavy that I didn't see him. It was almost 5 hrs before anyone found him. I tortued myself for years thinking that if I had been more alert and seen him that he would have made it. Then one night I seen the accident, It was like I was overhead in a helicopter or something. We do live in WV so there is a lot of hills and curves to keep from seeing someone when you're behind them. Some dreams are fuzzy, but this was unbelievably clear and unbelievably real.

I have no doubt in my mind where this one came from. Cause at the end of the dream a voice told me it wasn't my fault & that it was his time. It was like the weight of the world had been lifted of my chest. I still miss him, but I don't feel guilty anymore.

I wanted to share this earlier, but didn't know if it was to far in the realm of the weird. I know it's far fectched and kinda out there, but I've never had a dream like that one before. As a matter of fact, it was that dream that led me towards the ministry cause I firmly believe God was telling me something. Hope I didn't spook you guys to much with this one.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
This is a very appropriate thread for me to post this. I had a real odd dream last night - kinda scary.

I dreamed there were about a dozen guys on my covered front porch. (and I don't even have a covered front porch). I went out and told them to get off my porch, and they started arguing with me that it was public property. Then I noticed a couple of them were sneaking in my house. I immediately went in the house to make them get out, and one sort of started walking around behind me, while the other was still in front of me. I pulled my gun as they started jumping me and when I tried to fire my gun, I couldn't get it to fire. The safety was on or something. I was wrestling with the guys and fumbling with the safety.................... then I woke up.

Then, I don't know why, I reached over on the nightstand to check and make sure my handgun was still there. And, it's a revolver, which of course doesn't have a safety. Strange dream. Any psychiatrists here able to analyze the meaning?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Man, am I ever slow this morning. It took a while for me to understand your comment Custer. I was trying to figure out "what domino effect"? :headspin:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Thanks for laying it all out there guys. I was afraid you'd all think I was some kind of freak. Nice to know I'm not alone.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:I have heard that schizophrenics don't dream.

Oh yes we do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts