Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God threads were notorious on Brand X for showing levels of intolerance seldom seen since the Children's Crusade, but we seem to have a more civilized level of discourse here. Once you sorted through all the name-calling it seemed that folks are mostly Christians, Deists (believe there's a God, but He doesn't care much about human affairs), Atheists, Agnostics, and Apathists (don't care whether or not there's a God).

So what's the scoop?

Myself, I'm an aetheist, although there's a whole lot of stuff I don't pretend to understand and have an abiding sense of wonder - if the Big Bang theory is true, that's a miracle, too.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Do you believe in God?

Yes.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gee, DoorGunR, no need to muddy it up with theological arguments like that.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I have to call myself agnostic. I really don't know what to believe. I think I want to believe but, when I sit down and think about a supreme being, I ahve to say logically there can't be. A presence controlling things??????
I guess I will know the answer when I check out at the end..

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Yes I do, and I'm a Buddhist. Believe it or not there is no confict between the two :).

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Gee, DoorGunR, no need to muddy it up with theological arguments like that.
No arguements Smeg..........not gonna try and change ya.:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polish Taipan said:
Yes I do, and I'm a Buddhist. Believe it or not there is no confict between the two :).
If you're OK with it, that could use a bit of explaining.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I have much respect for those that are religious.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pogo said:
I have much respect for those that are religious.
Yep, me too. I don't know why other atheists get in such a snit when someone else has found faith.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
If you're OK with it, that could use a bit of explaining.
Well, stricky speaking Buddhism is non-theistic. In other words, its about living spiritually without directly addressing the God issue. However, that does not mean that you cannot believe in God and I choose to. Many famous Western authors on Buddhism are Christians and Jews. Thomas Merton for example. In Tucson the head of the local Zen Sangha is also a Catholic priest.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's pretty interesting, PT. Hadn't thought of that - that while Buddhism isn't a theistic faith, I hadn't considered that there's nothing in it that says that one cannot also believe in a deity.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Much hard question to answer is "What is a Buddhist doing with a lot of guns", lol.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Yes I believe.

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
Yes I do! I have had many of my prayers answered.Things that no way in hell should've worked out.I am a believer.:)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
No, not really an atheist.

atheist, n. somebody who does not believe in God or deities.

deity, n supernatural being

supernatural, adj - relating or attributed to phenomena that cannot be explained by natural laws.

So, Mr. D,

You believe in being(s) which can only be explained by natural laws? How about "quarks," or "black holes?" Can they be explained by natural laws, or must their existence be determined by theory? At one time, scientists pronounced the world as flat, and said the sun revolved around it. So, how do we really "know" what is a natural law? Has anyone ever seen an electron? Can you explain how gravity really works, or is it an article of faith?

No, you already believe in supernatural phenomena. Refusing to acknowledge presence of a "supernatural" being is frankly illogical, unless you also choose to disbelieve others "truths" which you cannot determine for yourself.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Belief in theories is much different than belief in a deity, SangRun. Belief in a theory is contingent - because the theory itself is contingent upon new data, and thus is always changing, and sometimes (as you point out with the theory that the world is flat) is discarded entirely. I should think that belief in God would be too precious to be simply tossed aside as one does a disproved theory.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think you mean me, Mr. D, since Sangrun hasn't posted in this thread, yet. Yes, I agree belief in God is too precious to be tossed away, but I'm not the one who did that.

Mr. D, you believe in things you can see, touch, and feel. So, you know wind exists. You probably believe it had causes, but you don't understand them. Is believing in God really so different? You may believe in atomic energy, because there are nuclear plants and bombs, but do you really understand it, olr do you merely accept it as true? You may accept you will die one day, but how do you really know? Mr. D, you already embrace articles of faith, so denying belief in the supernatural really is illogical.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well if their is a God may he strike me deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
:_onfire2: :stretcher

Sorry could not resist.

The answer here is Yes

1 - 20 of 178 Posts