Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard on the radio that the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy may be coming up for Supreme Court review again. Grounds for appeal is that it's a violation of the 1st Amendment right to free speech, and timing is that they think it may have a better chance now that laws against sodomy have been ruled as an unconstitutional violation of privacy.

Myself, I don't think it's got a chance because there is a longstanding tradition of the military having fewer constitutional protections than the citizenry.

But in the course of the piece, it seems that the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is broader than I had thought, impossibly broad to my mind: I knew that it meant that if you're gay and in the military that you're not to let other folks in the military know about it. Weird, but let's move on to the part that puzzles me...

Apparantly it also means that you aren't allowed to tell ANYONE, whether or not they're in the military. Which left me wondering just how, if you're gay and in the military, you could possibly get lucky on a date, how you could possibly even set up a date, since it would be pretty damned hard to do either without saying that you're gay.

And then it seemed to me that it was said that the policy means (possibly because of the quandary discussed above) that you can't have gay sex while you're in the military*.

And that led me to wonder just what the heck this is all about - since if you're celebate your sexuality is only an internal state - i.e. what you think, what you feel. So that those who comply with Don't Ask Don't Tell are those whose sexuality is comprised entirely of their thoughts and feelings and cannot be identified by anything that they do - and thus it is impossible to determine whether a single person is complying with the policy.

Point being, after all that yattering, is that it seems to me that Don't Ask Don't Tell is an example of thoughtcrime, not just an abridgement of freedom of speech. And freedom of thought is purportedly one of those "inalienable" rights (as opposed to alienable rights that folks can give up upon entering the military, such as the right to tell your boss to go screw himself and walk off the job.).

How can an inalienable right be restricted? I thought it was the nature of inalienable rights that they cannot.

*The foundation for the relevance of the rulings overturning sodomy laws on the grounds that it ain't nobody's business but your own.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
It was a Colon Powellism.

A compromise about something he did not believe in but wanted to keep Clinton happy.

Those things never make sense.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, so in the course of keeping Clinton happy Powell sells out homosexuals.

Dress rehearsal for selling out everyone in the course of keeping Bush happy.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Great, so in the course of keeping Clinton happy Powell sells out homosexuals.

Dress rehearsal for selling out everyone in the course of keeping Bush happy.
Naw, he quit.

He will be the next guy you hold your nose and vote for.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Randy said:
Third edition huh? Must be a big seller....
I used to have a copy of the First Edition. It's actually a suprisingly good book. I gave my copy to my boss as a going-away present when I quit a job. Highly recommended for that purpose if you've either got a former boss with a sense of humor or you don't mind burning bridges.

Good gift for your last anniversary, too.

·
anyone seen my coffee cup
481 Posts
:lol::lol::lol::lol::rofl: you gave that to your ex boss! Classic!!!!! :thumbup1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts