Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
wow that looks a little pricey...

Here's a really good recommendation:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44991

If you have a HF shop close by, check to see if they have any sales. I was able to recently get a rain check for this when it was on sale (but sold out!) for $399. ;)

FWIW, this is the same casting as all the others... more info on that mini-lathe site, just follow the mini-mill link:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Versions/versions.htm

Look for the metric-to-inch conversion kit, IMO that is a MUST-HAVE addon!

hth,
- Jerry

·
Administrator
153 Posts
Jerry,

Good to see you here, I think we are going to have a great bunch of people here, judging by the responses I've received so far.

SD

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Just got my 1st 8 inch drill press for $39.99 the other day at Habor Freight. It's a start at least and it will make my life easier in a lot of ways.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
I have to include this link. Even with a mini-mill, the DRO is a great help. The cheap scales that are required for the DRO kit are available in 4", 6", 8", 12", 18", 24", 36", and 48", so it'll fit just about any mill.

http://www.shumatech.com/

It took me about 6 hours to build and program, but it came out great! I have the scales on order, so hopefully we can get them mounted on the mill soon. I'm dying to finish off one of the DSA AR-15 0% forgings using this thing!

The only thing to watch out for when you convert from metric to inch is that the dials may wind up at an odd dimension. Dad's mill has metric screws with English dials. The dials read 0.125" per turn, instead of 0.100" or 0.200" per turn. You just have to be careful with measurements and double check everything before commiting to a cut or drilling a hole. Some of the conversion kits include the correct screws with the dials. Those are the kits to buy.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, admin, thanks for the sites. Look, my old friends from a different land, this is so freaking cool :rockin:. It is just so cool to see you all here. Note, the admin here is a great bunch, not rude, helps out, and does not belittle members. This is the way things should be. Jack :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

·
Registered
582 Posts
scubadvr said:
Thanks guys, admin, thanks for the sites. Look, my old friends from a different land, this is so freaking cool :rockin:. It is just so cool to see you all here. Note, the admin here is a great bunch, not rude, helps out, and does not belittle members. This is the way things should be. Jack :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Jack, thanks for the invitation!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have a cheapo $39 moddle and man it is about a thousand times better than drilling by hand and it cost the same as a hand drill. next I realy want a drilling milling that also is a layth. I see them for less than 1000. I know this realy won't help you find a new drill but you allready have the suggestion I would have made.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dirtalert said:
Scubadvr,
Did you have problems with the craftsman drill press? I am less than thrilled with mine.

I think the chuck is a pos and it is not as accurate as it could be. I think with a better model that tolerences will be better, causing my drills to be more precise. Maybe I am like the poor golfer blaming his bad game on the ball. :grumble:

·
Registered
832 Posts
scubadvr said:
I think the chuck is a pos and it is not as accurate as it could be. I think with a better model that tolerences will be better, causing my drills to be more precise. Maybe I am like the poor golfer blaming his bad game on the ball. :grumble:
I don't think it's you Jack. You're absolutely correct "the chuck is a pos". It doesn't tighten as well as it should and bits seem to have way too much wobble. It's a pain in the arse. Let us know what you replace it with. What the hell happened to Craftsman anyway! Still like their wrenches and screwdrivers though.
Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dirtalert said:
Scubadvr,
Did you have problems with the craftsman drill press? I am less than thrilled with mine.
My Craftsman works just fine for most projects, but sometimes it would be nice to have something with just a little "more power" and more stable in its construction. It will flex if pushed to far. Over-all it is a well constructed tool and works ok if used within its limits. By the way - Thanks for the heads-up on this site, very impressive and I see great things happening here. :hyper:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I got the Harbor Freight version of this one MILL DRILL and if you are seriously going to drop a grand or so on something like this I would highly recommend saving up some more money and buying something with a knee on it. While my mill drill does work well I have to tram the head back in every time I raise or lower the head. This gets old real fast. The Shumatech DRO set up that Rhino keeps beating me over the head with sure looks *****en though :D. Looks like a guy could make an unending stream of AR lowers with that set up and to a certain degree it would make my ***** about the lack of a knee on my set up go away. If I can run the table out to one side so I have the room I need to do bit changes and then run it back in to EXACTLY where I left off and not have to smoke my brain dealing with the whole backlash thing then I think I could live with it.

Edited to add that the words "MILL DRILL" are actually a hyperlink, but when I view the post they look just like any other text on the page.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I bought a cheapo floor drill years ago and put it in the garage, with the weather we have here it didn't take long to start to rust. But I have used it for a mill (unbeliveable but true) and have accomplished many things with an
x-y table attached to it. I wouldn't say it's accurate by any means but it has let me make things I couldn't have done without. What ever you decide try to get the most ridgid piece you can. Having been around a few machinist has spoiled me and after my move will be getting a full size mill with DRO....just gotta have DRO.

Edited to correct spelling........

·
Registered
681 Posts
I tend to stay clear of Crapsman alltogether.:bangin: check the harbor freight site... as previously mentioned... free shipping, if you can stand the wait... been three weeks or better waiting for my last order from them. I think they're coming up to Maine via sea turtle...:ranting:

·
Registered
825 Posts
My son picked up a variable speed rockwell drill press, which he left in my shop. It is an awesome machine that you can change speeds while running, by turning a knob on the headstock. No belt changing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does anyone have a drill press recommendation for those of us that are not machinest? I don't want to spend $400 to $1,000 on a drill press. Can I get by with something less ambitious? The only milling I think I will be doing is things like cutting out a magazine well or some such other square hole. I think a good drill press and a machinist vice will be all I need.

I want everyone to understand I have never built an AK before so I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. I am not a machinist, I'm a computer guy, and I'm 60 years old so I don't think I will live long enough to get a return on investment on a milling machine. So if someone could recommend a good press for the budget minded I would appreciate it. I'm not cheap but I don't think I will build more than 5 guns so it would not make sense to spend over a $1,000 on just tooling.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
This is just one viewpoint that echoes earlier thoughts:

The $49 drill presses will work to do just about everything if coupled with a xy table.

A thousand dollars will buy a full-blown Bridgeport which is only required by the insane addicts.:naughty:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts