Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an easy way to locate/mark the reciever in order to match the trunion holes exactly. This is assuming that the template is inaccurate or non existant. Just did my 65 and had to egg a couple in order for the screws to catch the threads.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I would have to agree ,,, this is a great idea and should give you holes properly located.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice pics-Thanks. I kind of tried that way but I have a drill press that is almost 100 years old and couldn't figure out how to clamp the trunion. What kind of a vise is used on the drill press & where can I get one. I tried using c clamps hence the egg!!

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
OK, what you don't see in the pics is that he has inserted a bolt into the trunion hole on the bottom, then fastened with a nut from inside.

Place the head of the bolt in the vise, level, and you're set.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
That vise is an El Cheapo Habor Freight rotating drill press vise. I think it cost me $7 on sale?

Setting it all up that way takes a little time to get it lined up, but you only have to drill half the holes. Remember to drill smaller first in case they are off.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I bolted an old drill press vise to the table and after welding up my eggs gave it another shot and it worked perfectly. Everyone of those suckers was right on time. I will get this first build finished if it kills me!!!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
erikk said:
Thanks. I bolted an old drill press vise to the table and after welding up my eggs gave it another shot and it worked perfectly. Everyone of those suckers was right on time. I will get this first build finished if it kills me!!!

Good! You can thank my Dad for that idea. He's a retired engineer and ex master machinist. I thought it worked slicker than snot for a hack like me.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Good! You can thank my Dad for that idea. He's a retired engineer and ex master machinist. I thought it worked slicker than snot for a hack like me.
I can't wait for my next build... Thanks Sang's DAD!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
I thanked Max last I saw him for the wonderful trick of using a drill press vice on the shop bench to hold the receiver as a thirdhand.

Here's another great use for one. It would also be an excuse to justify the expenditure for a xy table that would be used like a mill table.

Where I'm lucky enough to get the front receiver piece, it's clamped on the table and drill out the existing rivets noting the amount of movement along the x-axis-- that gets the two upper ones done. If I'm confident enough to handle the backlash I will go ahead and get the lower one, otherwise-- another set up on it.

Micing the receiver piece will give the location of the front slice then orient the new receiver on the front and top edges.

I don't a clue what I'm doing, unlike Sang's Dad, but the holes are in the right place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After seeing the pics I used that method tonight do drill my rear trunnion holes on my weld pack build up. Instead of using the bolt to hold the rear trunnion I used a piece of aluminum that I squared up and then put a radius on it to match the one on the bottom of the trunnion. Then I transfered the stock holes to the aluminum and bolted the trunnion to the aluminum block. Now I have a fixture to told the trunnion and receiver in the vice.
It's a little more work than the bolt method but since I have 4 kits to build it will make life easier. :headspin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts