Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this a few years ago, but hadn't heard it being rolled out until a co-worker said he was going to be in the trial market.

This is really cool and it should be very reliable. I'll probably switch to this myself because my part of Cincy has old telephone lines and I am not getting the speed anywhere near what I should. The telco upgraded everyone to 3mb recently and I'm still getting 300k even though I am less than 1 mile from the switch.

Part of the article below.

http://www.cinergy.com/News/default_corporate_news.asp?news_id=420

Cinergy Broadband and Current have formed a joint venture that will roll out broadband services under the brand Current Communications?. Initially, these services will consist of high-speed internet and will eventually be bundled with voice over IP (VoIP). Current will manage the venture, which will build and operate the BPL network and provide marketing, customer support and back office functionality. The BPL network will be deployed on electric distribution infrastructure using proven, proprietary BPL equipment and technology from Current?s subsidiary, Current Technologies, LLC.

The companies have also created a second joint venture to pursue the deployment of BPL to targeted municipal-owned power companies and rural electric cooperatives across the United States. This joint venture will be managed by Cinergy Broadband and will market Current?s BPL technology to its target customer utilities.

In addition to the joint ventures, Cinergy has made an investment in Current as part of a larger round of financing. In the financing, Current?s existing investors, Liberty Associated Partners, LP and EnerTech Capital, LP, have each contributed additional capital. The aggregate amount of financial commitment to Current and the BPL ventures by all parties in these transactions exceeds $70 million.

The decision to roll out broadband services, initially in southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky, follows a trial of the technology and broadband service offering with more than 100 residential customers and several business customers in the Hyde Park area of Cincinnati. The trial produced high customer satisfaction and a strong interest in enrolling in the commercial service.

For Internet users, Current?s BPL service offers:
  • "Always on" high speed Internet access from power outlets throughout the home or business
  • Upload and download access at the same speeds using readily available, off- the-shelf HomePlug? power line modems
  • Local area networking from all power outlets over existing electrical wiring
  • Faster speeds (in excess of 3 mbps) at lower monthly cost than other broadband services
  • Multiple speeds and pricing plans to meet individual needs and budgets
  • Truly "Plug and Play" installation and activation within minutes
  • All with no need to add any in-home wiring
"Customers will be amazed at the speed, low cost and reliability of BPL, as well as its ease of use," said William J. Grealis, executive vice president of Cinergy and president of Cinergy Broadband.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Powerlines?

Let me get this straight, you mean to tell me I'll be able to plug my computer right into the power outlets in my house and have my own LAN? I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. If thats the way I understand it then that's going to make networking alot easier, instead of running seperate cables throughout the house you can just use your existing outlets to network everything.

I do have to admit though, it still presents the same obstacles where I am concerned. I have one DSL connection and use 1 modem and 1 DSL router to share my connection with three computers. Switching sources wont change anything because I would still need the router and cables to split up the connection, unless I have to buy a modem for each computer set up at whatever power outlet its plugged into. And I dont know if I like thier breakdown in service features since they will probably charge you for every computer you choose to connect to the internet through thier service. I like the firewall capabilities that my router gives me.

I just dont know as much as I'd like about Networking/IT stuff to see the potential/problems in this. Great, just more crap I have to stop and learn if I want to keep up with this technology rat race. :confused:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The great thing about the power lines is they have the ability to transmit at much higher rates.

Like I said above about the wiring on my side of town. If it's old the phone lines choke it off and there is a distance limitation too. This could be the ticket for many users that have those issues.

Personally, I will not pay time warner for Road Runner even if it is faster in my neighborhood. I hate that dame company and I have no other choice for cable access.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sang, do you have zoomtown? They say they upped the speed but I'm not seeing much difference. I'm close to the switch as well. Downloads are a little faster. The day I got the e-mail I had to download some stuff and the files came in at like 300kb/sec as opposed to before they downloaded at like 60-70kb/sec. Now it seems to have leveled off at about 100kb/sec.

I'm judging the speed by what pops up in that box on the screen as you download. The one that gives you how many megs and the time it took.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have zoomtown too.

I have done some speed tests in the last few weeks and and it keeps coming up between 250k and 300k. The tests comeback and say that speed hardly qualifies for high speed.

I have to check it again tonight since I haven't checked for a week again.

After that I will call and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do I do a speed test? Do you have a link to a sight?

Heck, when I was on dial up, those downloads came in at like 5-7kb/sec so when I got it to work at 60kb/sec I thought that was good. 3MB/sec seems unreal to me.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I've got Roadrunner and I have been very happy. It is as fast as our work connection.

I used to hate TimeWarner, but in the last couple of years their CSR people have been really helpful.

Pricing is bad, but then what isn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts