Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alway's wondered what would be enough land to have to go shooting on, say with ak's and other rifles?

I know it all depends on local laws, what you backstop would be, etc but would should minimum amount of land be if I wanted to have my own range for shooting, and maybe brind some friends over to shoot as well.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
About the only stipulation in WV is that it has to be 500 feet from someone's house. If closer than 500 feet then you have to have written permission from them. Backstop??? in WV???:lol: We always just shot into the hillside. OK, I'm serious now. A peice of steel laid down at a 45 degree angle works well. Bullet richochet's into the ground. Take that with a grain of salt, because I've never tried it, but have read it in a magazine or two. Maybe try a Google search or something.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Apart from the noise and neighbor issues, it is a matter of geometry.

The longer the distance you want to shoot, the more land and higher the backstop you are going to need. At long distances, your sight elevation runs the risk of having a bullet leave your property.

Most personal or private ranges (such as small town police) I have seen keep the distance within 100 yards or less.

The club I belong to has a range of 600 yards. We have 400 acres and that range is sighted into a very large hill. (the club is actully in a valley surrounded by hills) Even at that, you are only allowed to shoot from 600 yards if you "qualify" by going through a monitored shooting test. That range is most often used at 100, 200 & 300.

I am guessing that in the right community 5-10 acres would do it if you kept it under 100 yards and had a decent hill as a backstop or if you created one with a bulldozer/bobcat.

With the current hysteria about lead, I think removal could be an issue in the future if you or the family ever wanted to sell it.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Custer said:
With the current hysteria about lead, I think removal could be an issue in the future if you or the family ever wanted to sell it.
As a commercial real estate person who deals on land and buildings, I can tell you if you ever want to sell it and a Phase I environmental assesment shows the possibility of lead contamination your buyer will probably pull out. A Phase II will definetly show lead contamination.

I had a client looking for a piece of land for a range, but the EPA would not allow it, because of the water table being so close to the surface in that area. Lead contamination is a big thing today.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
I have 7 acres which used to be in the boondocks. I would shoot rifles,pistols into a creek bank. Then houses started going up near me and I stayed with pistols. Then the liberal city neighbors moved in. Every time I would shoot the County Police would show up. It's legal to shoot here and luckily I know most of them.

It became a distraction to have to stop shooting and go talk to the local cops. Finally I started shooting in a ravine which muffled some of the sound.

One day I was shooting with my brother in law and we were shooting 20feet into the ground from an elevated site. The liberal neighbor (which by now has posted our joint property line was riding a golf cart in the woods about 150 yards along the property line. We were shooting in the general direstion of where he was. He had his 12 year old daughter with him and he was yelling my bullets were going on his property and it was making him uneasy.

I told him I wasn't going to yell and to come on up. He did. I showed him the direction we were shooting and showed his daughter the WWII pistols were were shooting. I went back to the house with him to get my business card with my phone numbers so he could call if he heard shooting to ensure it was me and not some poachers. I also told him in no uncertain terms I would shoot my pistols whenever I damn well pleased but since rifles were probably not safe I would take them elsewhere.

I haven't seen that idiot since and no more calls to the police were made.

So the moral of the story is don'y have close neighbors or at least invite them to shoot with you!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts