Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This AMD65 project is my first build. Need clarification on compliance parts and counts

AMD65 parts kit
Home built receiver from pre bent blank(1)
FCG from Tapco (3)
extended brake from Tapco (1)

My magazines are imported.

I think I need one more US made part to be compliant. Is that correct?

Should I just get a pistol grip or do you guys have other recommendations?

Thanks,
Pigseye

·
Registered
62 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question. Dumb answers, yes. Welcome aboard! Use the 'Search' tool. Everybody has different ways getting around compliance. ''compliance" is the keyword.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
yes another part is due. wink wink,, you are rite, if you are new to AK's a US made grip is easy and cheap I would recomend that. of course a piston is allways nice to change too,,,wink wink,,,, hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
On any project other than a AMD I would say go with a US made PG.
But on a AMD you would have to change both so that they match.
But the front PG will not help you with your parts count, plus I like the original PG's on them.

Go with a piston, they are not hard to change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great feedback everyone.

I'm not sure I like the grips (plastic) that I have so I'll look into that first. If I can't do something financially reasonable, I'll probably go with the piston.

Thanks,
Pigseye

·
Registered
62 Posts
pigseye said:
Great feedback everyone.

I'm not sure I like the grips (plastic) that I have so I'll look into that first. If I can't do something financially reasonable, I'll probably go with the piston.

Thanks,
Pigseye
I made my own grip for my pistol project out of some Birdseye Maple I had left over from a bolt action stock. My pistol project seems to be turning into a bullpup at the moment. All it takes is a piece of wood, a Nicholson 4-in-hand rasp, sandpaper, tung oil, elbow grease, and about 4 hours free time. I shaped mine like a .45 auto grip because that fits my hand well. I also made it thicker to fit my hand. On my AMD63 I changed the gas piston to save the grips because the were beautiful from all the greasy Hungarian hands that held them through the years! LOL!!! The AMD plastic grips have a beauty all their own that says 'I am AK47'. Depends on your own tastes. Hotbarrel has posted pics of the pistons he has made and they are real beauts. I went with Tapco cause I won a hundred dollars in one of their contests and had to blow the money. Make sure to pick up some 20 round mags before the supply dries up. I only bought 4 before the price jumped 2 dollars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts