Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yer gonna have to be a dinosaur or a student of early television to know this question. What was the name of the town that the character Phineas T. Bluster was the mayor of? And for bonus points, what was the name of the strange looking animal that kept crying "meatballs!, meatballs!"? :D

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
You know Pogo,I can remember P.T.Bluster,the "Meatballs" thing,Clarabell,Howdy doodie and Buffalo Bob.......but I damn sure can't remember the name of the town PTB was mayor of...........The Peanut Gallery?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was .................................. Doodyville! :D

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Yes!......Now I remember that.Pogo.....did you ride a Dinosaur to school like I did?

"It's Howdy Doody time.......It's Howdy Doody time......"

I can remember watching it on Mom and Dad's 6" roundscreen Admiral TV set that was the only source of heat needed in the house,in the winter.Early,middle 50's.Did I watch H.D. along with the Buster Brown Show on Saturday mornings,only? I can recall that the only 3 stations to watch,then,at least in our viewing area did not have 24,7 programing.Wow...............Doodyville.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My Dad started working on TV's after he got home from WWII in 1946. He worked on President Harry Truman's TV when Truman was living in Blair House as the White House was being redone.

My grandfather ran a radio shop and radio technology school in the 30's and did some work on early prototypes at that time. My Dad first saw TV technology as a teen working part time in his Dad's place.

I don't ever recall not having a TV.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey nobody has named the funny looking animal yet! It was a unique South American animal with a duck's head, a cat's whiskers, a giraffe's neck (encircled with rings), a cocker spaniel's ears, a seal's flippers (and four webbed feet), a raccoon's tail hairpiece, a dachshund's body and the memory of an elephant. :D

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
........No idea?

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Custer.....do you suppose.....Howdy doody was......viewed....in the Blair House by Truman? Not a whole lot was on TV back then as I re-call.I suppose even Presidential TV's go out of whack.My parents next door neighbor worked on TVs too after WWII.Had a shop in his basement.First color TV I ever saw was over there.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I would not be a bit surprised if Truman watched whatever came on. As a little kid, I would watch Meet the Press simply because it was about the only show in color and we were amazed by this. I would say that was in the early 60's.

My Dad tells how TV was quite a novelty even in the late 40's. The outfit he was working for while he went to school would rent TVs for parties thrown by various D.C. bigwigs. His job was to set them up and keep them running. The TV's were on just as backdrop much as we would have music on today. Programming came on in a hurry though at least in the big cites.

He often had little idea how to fix the TV's but then almost no one else did either.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'll have to give the answer then. It was Flub-A-Dub. :D

Here's a couple of pictures of Flub-A-Dub items I found on ebay.

Neither one of them really look much like the old Flubber though.

I'll just tell you who the Captain of the Tug Boat was though. It was Captain Scuttlebutt. :D

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, a new one.

What TV character came from the planet Melmac? :D

That wasn't really early TV, but still a good show.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Pogo, I don't remember that Flub A dub at all.

Perhaps I was still a gleam in my Daddy's eye.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Mork? Or was it the Coneheads?

From Melmac that is...

One thing my Grandfather did buy my Dad's family was a TV very early on. My Dad says he remembers seeing news about the Korean war when he was 6-7 years old on their TV. They were the only family on the block to have a TV and when color came out Grandpa was the first on the block to get one as well.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, it wasn't Mork or the Coneheads. :D

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
7.62x39 said:
Alien Life Form AKA ALF
Bingo!

His planet was destroyed in a freak boating accident. :D

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Flub a dub Dont sound like anything I ever heard of.I prob pissed those brain cells out 30 years ago.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do ya remember the Captain Midnight show? And his favorite drink - Ovaltine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts