Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay this past week. Everything went smooth except one auction and we knew it would go bad. First of all the buyer had no feedback rating and she kept bidding up the item even when no one was bidding against her. The price got the point of being ridiculous and when the auction did get bids in the final minutes she outbid everyone by far.

We sent her and invoice and out of 24 auctions she was the last to reply or pay. We send the product to her which was fragile. My wife wrapped it all up very carefully and securely.

2 days go by and she send us a nasty gram as well as leaving questions for the seller on our closed auction that the product was broken and we didn't pack it well. She sent us 3 nasty e-mails all within moments of each other.

I replied very nicely and told her we would refund the money if she would send the product back or we could refund part of it because only 2 of the 5 objects were broken as she said.

I was extremely nice with my reply and expressed my concern that we have never had anything like this happen and we would make it right.

No replies, I sent a second e-mail to her othere account she uses and still no replies!

I think we have a real head case on our hands here. Should have known when I saw her bidding the auction up the first day a dollar an hour when no one else was bidding..

:rant:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Yeah you are going to run into all kinds on Ebay. You were right when you thought this one might be trouble 'cause who in their right mind bids against themselves? You have done everything you can, just keep all her correspondence in case she even weirder. I keep meaning to put some stuff on Ebay but I get busy and ...oops ...:eek: another day has gone by. :dunno:

·
Registered
158 Posts
How do you bid against yourself on E-bay ?

Every time I bid higher than the latest bid , it ONLY goes to the next highest increment:

Current bid $45.00 , I bid $75.00 , the next increment is $50.00 , then the my current bid would be $50.00. This only increases as someone bids against me up to the maximum of $75.00.

To be sure , there are dead beats and neophytes that don't understand things like waiting til near the end to bid , as well as people that seem to be involved in the whole process just to screw with everyone involved.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
When you enter in the $75 amount, the sets your maximum bid. So if the current bid is $50, then e-bay will continue bidding on your behalf until the max bid is met. Say if somebody bids $60, then e-bay will bid $61 for you and will continue to do so until the bid reaches $75.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
I don't sell a lot on eBay, but occasionally I put an item up for bid. As a rule, I cancel the bids of anyone with 0 or negative feedback. I put a statement that anyone with less than 10 feedback must e-mail me before I will allow their bid. I also require postal insurance to be paid in addition to shipping. I require payment to be with a U.S. postal money order only. I don't accept PayPal, personal checks, cashiers checks, or cash. Take a hard line right off the bat, but be courteous and bidders usually stay in line. I have cancelled a few bids and blacklisted a person from bidding on my auctions, but generally I have had no problems.

I usually put my items up for a week, and that gives me time to check the feedback of bidders. The guy I blacklisted had bid ridiculous amounts on items similar to what I was selling and received negative feedback for non-payment on all of them. He also filed negative feedback for all of the sellers even though he was the problem. I copied all the item numbers and negative feedback comments, and included them in the e-mail I sent informing him that I had cancelled his bids and he would be blacklisted from bidding on any of my auctions in the future. He sent a nasty reply making all sorts of threats, so I forwarded his e-mail to eBay and his ISP. Haven't heard a peep since then...

Even if you raise the amount of your max bid limit that should not affect the current bid, if you are the highest bidder. If I decided my max bid would be $60 and later decided to raise my max bid to $75, the bidding software should only raise the showing bid price enough to beat the current bid (but not if I was already the current high bidder). If I have the highest bid and start jacking my max bid up $1 at a time, the software should only show my max bid amount going up, not the current bid. The only time the current bid amount should go up is when someone actually bids against me.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
e-bay.....

The people on e-bay......sometimes you think of asking them:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I just had my first Ebay Nigerian scam happen to me a few days ago. This piece of you know what must think that I'm a dumbarsh!
Check it out!
From: "sola sola" <[email protected]> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book
To: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:36:38 +0800
Subject: Re: eBay Object gekocht 110v WALL CHARGER for SAMSUNG SCH-a670 CAMERA PHONE (Objectnummer 5734335451)

Dear Seller,
Greetings,I am Tony Colt from holland i saw your item below
and i will like to buy it for my duaghter in nigeria has a gift for
her birthday coming up next week,pls kindly mail me the amount of the
goods and the amount of shipping through fedex shipping company or
ups shipping company add up together so i can sen the money through
western union postal money order ok, also mail me your name and contact
address immedately for fast transaction.this my daugther's address below.

name----a.kemi
address-----55 yaya abatan street
city----ifako ijaye
state-----lagos
country-----nigeria
zip code----23401

Thanks.
:D

All my auctions clearly state CONUS, and accept PayPal only. I had no bids until the last day when this yahoo clicked the buy now instead of making a bid. What a baffoon. Who in the hell buys their daughter a phone charger for her Birthday, then ships it across the world? Oh, my shipping was listed at $3. Yea right Mr "sola sola" <[email protected]>:D

·
Registered
625 Posts
The way it works at Ebay is if you have bid on an item and are currently the high bidder but want to raise your max bid, you?ll have to bid again against yourself. I?ve had second thoughts on a few auctions in the past and wanted to raise my max bid and this was how it worked. Ebay has no reason to fix this, because it makes more money for them. Remember they get a cut of all sales and the higher it is the more they get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts