Gunco Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2004 EIA Public Education Quotes of the Year

EIA is proud to present the 2004 Public Education Quotes of the Year, in countdown order. Enjoy!

10) "That's like saying every group that rents our building, we condone it. That's just not the case. It helps pay the rent.? ? South Carolina Education Association Executive Director Richard Miller, rejecting notions that a Kerry-Edwards rally held at SCEA headquarters had anything to do with partisan politics. (August 23 Augusta Chronicle)

9) "We're not going to panic. The house isn't on fire." ? Rick Trombly, public affairs director for NEA New Hampshire, prior to that state's primaries. The union broke with tradition and endorsed a candidate in the primaries, choosing Howard Dean. (January 22 Burlington Free Press)

8) "There's no difference between politics and organizing. People ask us, 'What are you doing in politics?' Yet every scintilla of everything that happens to public employees ? vouchers, pensions, budgets ? it's all politics." ? Edward J. McElroy, at the time AFT secretary-treasurer, in a speech during the union's Western regional meeting. (February 9 Inside AFT)

7) "There is no such thing as overpaying a school administrator." ? Eric Stringfellow, columnist for The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Mississippi. (August 24 The Clarion-Ledger)

6) "You deserve a President who understands what I'm about to say." ? U.S. Senator John Kerry, during a July 16 speech at the American Federation of Teachers convention in Washington, DC.

5) "You can't just sit over there and say, 'I've asked Richard for his wallet and he hasn't responded. I'll just go over and get it." ? Washington Supreme Court Justice Richard Sanders, explaining to attorneys for the Washington Education Association (WEA) why failure to receive objections from fee-payers for the union's political expenditures does not imply their approval. (May 28 Olympian)

4) "Content sometimes is really overrated. A teacher is like an artist, a coach. He has to be able to inspire children." ? Philadelphia middle school teacher Nick Perry, commenting on the news that more than half of the city's middle school teachers failed their content exams for certification as "highly qualified" teachers. (March 23 Philadelphia Inquirer)

3) "If it were up to me, I wouldn't teach long division until high school." ? Robert Hetzel, eighth-grade math teacher at O'Keefe Middle School in Madison, Wisconsin. (April 3 The Capital Times)

2) "We will no longer be the captive and oppressed people we've been the last 11 years." ? Wisconsin Education Association Council President Stan Johnson, announcing yet another effort to repeal the state's revenue control laws at a February 7 meeting of local union presidents.

1) "We cannot discriminate against someone because they have a criminal background." ? Milwaukee Public Schools spokesman Phil Harris, explaining that state law allows convicted felons to work in public schools as long as their crime is not "substantially related" to the job. WISN-TV found a teachers' aide who had gone to prison for giving tequila and cocaine to a 17-year-old girl. (May 18 WISN-TV News

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
3) "If it were up to me, I wouldn't teach long division until high school." ? Robert Hetzel, eighth-grade math teacher at O'Keefe Middle School in Madison, Wisconsin. (April 3 The Capital Times)

1) "We cannot discriminate against someone because they have a criminal background." ? Milwaukee Public Schools spokesman Phil Harris, explaining that state law allows convicted felons to work in public schools as long as their crime is not "substantially related" to the job. WISN-TV found a teachers' aide who had gone to prison for giving tequila and cocaine to a 17-year-old girl. (May 18 WISN-TV News
And we wonder why our country is in the shape it's in!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts