Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes it showed up!! it was cheap and as I said a paid extra for a micrometer rear sight. it is nice. the entire gun is very nice in my oppinion. I stripped it down and put the wood parts on a grate on the wood stove. the cosmo just ran out. I cleaned all the metal parts except the barrel inside. I like to let the cosmo stay in the barrel. I just swabbed it out abd it looks beautifull inside. I degreased and parked all the small parts. I stood the reciever part of the assy in the tank and parked it too, then flipped it over and did the exposed end of the barrel. I did NOUTHING to the bolt but a good wipe down. the but plate looks to be brass but I do not know . I gave it a lite buff with steel wool, but NOT a polish so it still looks old. I did some scrapeing on the wood and buffed it with a rag. now it went from black to a nice old looking brown. it looks and feels way beter than I expected for the price. A big thanks to center fire!!!
here is what I see on the reciever for info... No 4MK1/2AU11299 , F57FTR.
on the back ring I see. 943 AU 11299 and some symbols that are too small to see with my eyes.
can anyone tell me anything about what I have here??? this is my firse enfield. thanks hotbarrel

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
The F57FTR, means that in february of 1957 the rifle was rebuilt at the armory or Factory Through Repair.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ok, your rifle was originally made a Fazerkely in September 1943, as a No4Mk1, and was Factory Through Repaired and upgraded to No4Mk2 (micrometer rear sight, trigger pinned to reciever instead of triggerguard) specifications in 1957, again by Fazerkely.
If you check, you will almost certainly find a screw driven through the forearm about 3 or 4 inces in front of the mag well. This was a modification done by the Ishapore arsenal in India and is supposed to keep the wood from splitting. It's a sure sign of use by the Indian Army. There may be repairs at the heel and toe of the buttstock, most look pretty crude but mine were OK so I hope yours are too.
Three things:
First, the bolt is probably full of cosmoline, and without a special tool the firing pin is very difficult to remove. I'm sure a talented fellow like yourself could make one. In fact, if a talented fellow like yourself was to make a few, I'm also sure they would sell like hotcakes as the only commercial ones out there are (cough, cough) crap and they cost like $20. PM me if you're interested, and we can discuss. It's important to get the crap out of the bolt as the lock time slows considerably with grease in the bolt. Hint: it doesn't unscrew from the back like you might think.
Second, do the numbers match? Not as important as with other rifles, but nice.
Third: there should be a number stamped on the bolt head where the side is guided by the rail, a 0 (doubtful), 1,2,or 3. The enfield uses a replaceable bolthead to reset headspace due to wear, with 0 being smallest and 3 being longest. Once you are using a 3 bolthead you are reaching the end of service life (not that that matters to us, really) and the next step is rebarreling.

Rhineland arms makes a .45acp conversion kit for the enfield that converts it to this cartridge and uses 1911 magazines. it's $160, but weaponeer.net is trying to get a group buy going at $125.....hmmm.....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys this is all great info!!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I did a drawing of the bolt tool that I bought some time ago, here it is again. This is the tool as I received it, others may be a little different but I know this one works just fine for me. I do wonder what the small slotted tip is for?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I soak my bolts in carb cleaner or chem-tool for over a week to make sure the cosmo is out and use air to blow them out. It seems to work and saves me headaches.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to simpaly unscrew the front. that realy opened it up. no not a ful strip but I can spray it out good. maby next week If I decide to shoot it.
what do you guys thing should I shoot it or just put in in the rack with the rest of them?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oldgunner said:
I did a drawing of the bolt tool that I bought some time ago, here it is again. This is the tool as I received it, others may be a little different but I know this one works just fine for me. I do wonder what the small slotted tip is for?
The sloted tip is for the front sight holdown screw. On some rifles the front sight is held in place by a screw that has a reversed head. Meaning that instead of a slot that a screw driver head would go into it has the screw driver head on the screw and the slot is on the driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts