Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for tips , or oppinions.
I ordered a NO4, MK1, 303 enfield from center fire. the price is $79.97, I paid $5 extra for one with a micrometer sight. they told me the guns were all in basicaly the same condition so no hand pick for an extra nice one.
Has anyone bought one of thies from C.F.? dose to my door for $105 sound like a good deal? I know I should have asked you first but I allready have placed the order . however I still wonder if you guys think I did ok. they had choises of micrometer sight, flip sight, or slide adjust sight. I chose micrometer...... good or bad pick?????
they had chises for manufactors BSA, fazakerly, maltby. I did not pay extra for any choise because I had NO IDEA ... what do you guys think???

:thankyou:

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

I bought an Enfield #4 Mk 1/2 from Centerfire back when they first got them in. They do not exaggerate in their descriptions of the rifles. The metal does need refinished, but they are in really decent shape. The bore on mine looked pitted at first after a dry patch was but a couple patches with some WD-40 and brake cleaner revealed it's true condition. It just had some hard clumps of cosmo stuck in the grooves. After a couple wet patches, the bore was shiny and perfect.

Later versions of the #4 (late 1, 1/2, 1/3, etc.) have the trigger attached to the receiver instead of the triggerguard. This is supposed to improve the action since weather will not affect the position of the trigger/sear alignment.

The micrometer sight is well worth the $5 you paid. And it's way cooler than the flip or slide sights. If you want a scope mount, there's one available that attaches using a new ejector screw and the safety spring screw.

My only complaint was how nasty the excess cosmo is to remove. I soaked all the metal parts in a zip-lock bag with lacquer thinner. I also soaked all the wood in thinner several times to get all gunk out of it. There were a few dents but they soaked out pretty well with boiling hot water. I refinished mine in polyurethane, then re-refinished in tung oil after I decided the poly sucked...

I still haven't got it back together. I still need to blast and refinish the barrel and receiver, but all the other parts are done.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~roblewis/SMLE/IIID2a11a5.html

·
Registered
681 Posts
Bradd,
These rifles are awesome. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, regardless of condition. I have yet to see one that was in at least serviceble condition not shoot fantastically. The actions on the enfields are super strong and super reliable. I wish I had some extra bucks to dispose of... I'd snap a couple of these up, one for original, and one to use for a custom rifle. Maybe you could get me a couple for Chrismas?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I bought a #4 Mk1 from them some time ago for $109+ shipping, When I first got the gun I wasn?t too happy because it looked like it was scraped clean with a large knife or something. All the metal that shows had scrape marks all over it from the cleaning. I striped the gun and cleaned it, I found that the scrapes aren?t at all bad and won?t show after I do a bake-on finish, (They just removed the bluing) The barrel looks to be in very good condition over all. The stock looked so bad that I ordered a replacement set. (AIM?) As I sat waiting for the new stock to come I decided to try the ?Easy Off? treatment and found that the stock was Walnut, man I can?t give up on a piece of Walnut ever! I love Walnut. So now I?ve spent hours and hours steaming dents, soaking the stock in a bucket of solvent and around a dozen treatments of whiting to remove the oil and crap from the wood. It?s looking pretty good now and I hope to have it done by Christmas. It?s been more work than I wanted to get into but I just keep thinking that it?s a piece of history and keeping it all original makes up for all the work and time. Last weekend I was at a gun show and saw a #4 Mk2 that I?m still kicking myself for not buying it when I first saw it. It was completely refinished and the metal was so good that you?d think it was new, it showed no use at all and the barrel was as new looking as I?ve ever seen. I?m a fool because I was looking for an FAL and ran around looking for it and didn?t buy the Enfield. When I came back to get it, it had been sold. Two hundred dollars was all it cost, I?ll never find another gun like that at that price again I?ll bet. Kick-Kick-Kick.
I am thinking of getting another #4 Mk1 at $79 and doing the .45acp conversion of it. Right now at CF you can get the gun for $59 if you also buy a stock for $59 at the same time, it?s a good deal and a good start on that .45acp conversion. I just may have to call Lois on Monday.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It may have been new. Several years ago a quantity of unissued in cosmoline and wrapping came in. This may have been one that was bought cleaned up and never shot.

packratt

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I guess I did just fine.. If I m going to refinish the barrel. Is It parked or paint??? I can park better than I can paint..

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Enfield barrels have a high nickel contest and don't take bueing well at all. It's almost like stainless. The Brits painted them and I can see why as they would have known.

Parking and high nickel content? Don't know.

One thing nice about the high quality stell on the barrels is they don't get messed up easily.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well maby I will have to paint it..
I got an enfield in 308 made in india and it was painted, I had a bad experiance with the paint and honestly that is why I am not fond of paint. I got it home cleaned it and the cleaner took off most of the paint with the first wipe of a towell.. crap...I know blue and park will stand up , I will allways wonder about paint and cleaners.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks I may try that

·
Troubles shot. 5 cents.
850 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Enfield barrels have a high nickel contest and don't take bueing well at all. It's almost like stainless. The Brits painted them and I can see why as they would have known.

Parking and high nickel content? Don't know.
Sang:

The Lithgow Enfields were phosphated, I have two No1 MkIIIs with really nice original "park" finishes.

Noah

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Noah Zark said:
Sang:

The Lithgow Enfields were phosphated, I have two No1 MkIIIs with really nice original "park" finishes.

Noah
Cool, I did not know that and I'm no expert on high nickel metalurgy by any means.

Thanks Noah!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The No. 1 enfields of all marks were never painted coming out of the factory, they were either (typically) oil blackened, blued or parked. They may have been painted sometimes during FTR (factory thorough refurb), or by the Indians....but they would have never started out life like that.

Now towards late WWII the Brits started painting their No. 4's with a bake on paint called Suncorite, which is very hard, and very difficult to remove. I don't think they painted ALL of them, but I am not sure, I could check on that....I have never seen a Savage or Long Branch that started out painted, I believe only the Brits and the Indians used the Suncorite....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts