Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UN celebrates world citizens (Awards recognize Hans Blix)
www.canoe.ca ^ | Sun, December 5, 2004 | AP

UNITED NATIONS -- The UN Correspondents Association gave its second annual Citizen of the World Awards to former UN weapons chief Hans Blix, top UN troubleshooter Lakhdar Brahimi and actress Nicole Kidman, who is a goodwill ambassador for the UN Children's Fund in Australia. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, who presented the awards at a black-tie dinner at UN headquarters Friday night, joked about calls for his resignation over allegations of corruption in the UN oil-for-food program in Iraq.

"Tonight, I have resigned myself," he said, pausing for several moments before adding, "to having a good time."

Annan made clear in several jokes that he was planning to leave when his second five-year term ends on Dec. 31, 2006.

"See you in a year -- or three -- if you're so gracious as to invite me back after I've retired," he said.

The more than 500 journalists, diplomats, UN staff and supporters at the awards dinner gave the secretary general a standing ovation.

Award-winner Blix said he expects the secretary general's rein "will flourish" and added, "I like the idea of being a Citizen of the World."

Brahimi was the UN envoy to Afghanistan after the ouster of the Taliban

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
He is thumbing his nose at the U.S.. I believe it's time to stop supporting the U.N.. Kick 'em out on N.Y., let 'em move to Paris.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hans Blix and the UN giving each other high fives.

Yup it is enough to lose your lunch. :sick: :sick: :sick:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts