·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coalition questions whether Ty got fair shake

December 1, 2004

BY GREG COUCH Staff Reporter
http://www.suntimes.com/output/campus/cst-spt-black01.html

When Notre Dame hired Ty Willingham, a black head coach at the nation's pre-eminent college football program, it made a major social statement. Willingham was fired Tuesday after three seasons, shorter than any football coach's tenure at Notre Dame in the last 40 years.

Did that make another statement?

"I certainly think it begs the question, 'Was he held to a different standard?''' said Charles S. Farrell, director of Rainbow Sports, a division of the Rainbow/Push Coalition. "If so, why? He certainly had a target on him as a black coach at Notre Dame. I'm disappointed Notre Dame didn't honor the final two years of his contract.

"Remember, he was passed over in the first place for George O'Leary and only got the job after O'Leary was fired for lying. It was only under pressure that Notre Dame said, 'OK, we need to give this guy a chance.' But after three seasons, did he really get a fair shake?''

In the last nine days, three black head coaches, including New Mexico State's Tony Samuel and San Jose State's Fitz Hill, have been fired or resigned with a losing team. That leaves two black head coaches -- UCLA's Karl Dorrell and Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom -- in 117 Division I-A programs, down from a high of eight in 1998.

"This action sends an alarming message to African Americans who are pursuing coaching at the Division I-A level,'' Floyd Keith, executive director of the Black Coaches Association, told the Associated Press. "It's still going to be tough.''

Like Farrell, Hill was not prepared to say Willingham's firing was race-related. But he did say it raised questions, particularly about the hiring and firing processes of black head coaches. He also wondered what it would do to the perception of black coaches in general.

"African-American coaches deserve the opportunity to succeed and fail just like their peers,'' said Hill, who quit last week after four losing seasons.

Hill said he would like to ask Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White one question.

"Why?'' he said. "When you look at the person -- no NCAA violations, a clean program -- and you go from national coach of the year two years ago to saying you need change... ''

White said Willingham was fired because the football team wasn't winning enough and wasn't progressing fast enough. Farrell pointed out that Notre Dame was faltering when it hired Willingham, then fired him without allowing him the same opportunity as other failed Irish coaches.

The question is whether Willingham's tenure at Notre Dame has become an overall negative for prospective black coaches.

"When Tyrone Willingham was hired at the premier coaching job in the country, I said, 'Black coaches could coach anywhere,''' Farrell said. "I just hope now there's not a subliminal message to athletic directors and presidents that says, 'If a black failed at Notre Dame, why should I hire him at my school?'''

·
Registered
508 Posts
"I certainly think it begs the question, 'Was he held to a different standard?''' said Charles S. Farrell, director of Rainbow Sports, a division of the Rainbow/Push Coalition. "If so, why? He certainly had a target on him as a black coach at Notre Dame. I'm disappointed Notre Dame didn't honor the final two years of his contract.

"When Tyrone Willingham was hired at the premier coaching job in the country, I said, 'Black coaches could coach anywhere,''' Farrell said. "I just hope now there's not a subliminal message to athletic directors and presidents that says, 'If a black failed at Notre Dame, why should I hire him at my school?'''
Mr. Farrell is just a mouthpiece for Rainbow/Push. The real message seems to be "don't fire a black man or we'll question and possibly condemn you". I noticed no comparison to white coaches who've been fired...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Fairness is a paramount virtue to me, so equality is an important issue to me.

I am very very much in support of equal employment.

I just as much in support of equal firing, and for precisely the same reason.

Racist and sexist employment practices fall within that category of things that are worse than evil - they're stupid. Consider for a moment the stupidity of not hiring the best person for the job because of their race, their gender, etc.

At the same time, consider the stupidity of not firing a person who's doing a lousy job because of their race, their gender, etc.

Although I should think that firing someone because they're a conservative Republican would be OK...

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
No, it does not "beg the question" What our inarticulate professional victim meant to say was "it leads us to ask". Begging the question means to ask a question that asumes the answer.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Fairness is a paramount virtue to me, so equality is an important issue to me.

I am very very much in support of equal employment.

I just as much in support of equal firing, and for precisely the same reason.

Racist and sexist employment practices fall within that category of things that are worse than evil - they're stupid. Consider for a moment the stupidity of not hiring the best person for the job because of their race, their gender, etc.

At the same time, consider the stupidity of not firing a person who's doing a lousy job because of their race, their gender, etc.

Although I should think that firing someone because they're a conservative Republican would be OK...
Sadly the law does not very often work that way. It is a very excuse driven process that allows a bad employee to say yep, I am guilty but somewhere, sometime someone got away with it and so should I because of my _________ protected group status.

It gets quite remote, quite ridiculous and quite expensive. You wind up with some settlement.

A lot of bad __________protected group employees survive and even get promoted in order for the company to meet its affirmative action "goals and timetables" a.k.a quotas.

I look at the discrimination laws as essentially a labor tax.

I think Smeg is right it is quite legal to fire someone for being a conservative Republican.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer, pretty sure that no Federal law prohibits canning someone on the grounds of political affiliation, may be some State laws, don't know. A lot of folks got canned for being a Commie during the McCarthy era, but the laws may have changed since then: Hope they have, suspect they haven't.

Alas, I've seen folks get promoted instead of fired to get them out of a job they were awful at just because they had protected status and management didn't have the moral courage to do the right thing. That's awful when that happens, leads folks to viewing women & minorities in good jobs as Affirmative Action Artifacts instead of as being good folks doing good work in a good job. EEO and Affirmative Action when coupled with bad management can result in EEO and Affirmative Action backfiring to the detriment of women and minorities.

Had a boss hired on once who was a handicapped Black woman. When I first met with her, I told her it was unfortunate that she wasn't a Lesbian Jew so she could have all her bases covered. Thankfully, she had a good sense of humor.

Of course, when we see a conservative Republican in a good job, that invariably indicates the Dark Hand of graft, corruption, and exploitation of the proletariat at work.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Smeg. I've been grinding up you lefty losers for over 30 years. It is so easy I am ashamed. Almost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts