Gunco Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night a little after 8 the lights flickered and then I heard an explosion and the house shook. I went outside and the street light was out, car alarms were going off and all the neighbors were flooding the streets to see what was going on. I looked to the north and saw a huge mushroom cloud. I went in and nothing on tv just yet.

Turned out that a iron and metal plant half a mile from my home exploded. The explosion was felt and heard 55 miles away. The shock wave blew out several windows in the surrounding area.

Two people were killed and there were 13 injured.

Ironmann

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think I might be just a little bit frightened if I went outside to see what the explosion was about and saw a mushroom cloud to the North.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Ironmann............did you ever find out what caused the explosion????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ATF classed it as an unfortunate industrail accident. No foul play was found. They are trying to recreate it as we speak.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
I think I might be just a little bit frightened if I went outside to see what the explosion was about and saw a mushroom cloud to the North.
I was going to say that .............

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It was really the Homeland Security boys cleaning out a nest of "troublemakers". That's their story and they're sticking to it...

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There was an explosion here a few years ago in the middle of the night, but I never found out what it was. It sounded like Howitzer going off or something.

Very weird? Nothing like Ironman's deal though.

I live very near a large Propane distributor. They also have racing gas, kerosene, helium, acetylene , oxygen, and others. Have you ever seen thos video shows or bad explosions? Many of them were propane storage places and you could say I get a little nervous about that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother just called wondering if I was alright. Turns out that the story made CNN. Go figure.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
My parents live about a half mile from I-95, it curves around their hood on 2 sides with a lake between them and it. Across on the other side of the interstate is a big honking gas pipeline and one of the surface stations comes up directly across from their hood. One Friday they got a postcard warning what a pipeline blowout sounds like and who to call about it when they hear it. It came in handy the next sunday morning (just over 36 hours later) when the station blew.

·
Registered
329 Posts
ironmann said:
Last night a little after 8 the lights flickered and then I heard an explosion and the house shook.
In 1983 (I think), there was a propane tank leak in a large industrial building.

When it blew, it LEVELED an entire city block, blew out windows a mile away, killed several firefighters and shook my house which was over 15 miles away!

The area looked like a miniature Hiroshima... nothing left but a few metal rods and rocks on the ground.

Roger

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
A few years back at a local power plant/coal mine the lunch time whistle blew, so the welders in the shop put out their torches and left for the hour, but for some reason, one forgot to turn the lil knob that shuts off the acetylene.
When they returned from lunch and one used his striker to reignite his torch...

They found only one work boot from the six who were in the building.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Glad to hear your alright ironnman.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Krupski said:
In 1983 (I think), there was a propane tank leak in a large industrial building.

When it blew, it LEVELED an entire city block, blew out windows a mile away, killed several firefighters and shook my house which was over 15 miles away!

The area looked like a miniature Hiroshima... nothing left but a few metal rods and rocks on the ground.

Roger
This is exactly why I'm nervous about the propane place. I'm about a city block away from it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
This is exactly why I'm nervous about the propane place. I'm about a city block away from it.
I think one blew up on the east side within the last 10 years or so. I want to say it was near Amelia.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
There was a man not far from where I live that had a portajohn blow up on him. He was at the coal mines, and some methane came out of the ground under the john and filled it up. Guy goes in, sit down, and lights a cigarette. Boom! The guy was not seriously hurt, and after everyone found out he was OK, he took a very good ribbing from the guys. I wasn't posting this to get a laugh from a thread this serious, but to say how serious this stuff is. They say the amount of methane was very small and it was still enough to cause an explosion big enough to destroy a portajohn.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Toilet Fumes Kill Man

Dec 29, 2004 8:23 am US/Central
WINDBER, Pa. (AP) Somerset County authorities say a stopped up toilet led to a man?s death, when he unwisely mixed two common chemicals trying to unclog it.

Sixty-eight-year-old James Battiste of Windber died Monday. Tuesday, County Coroner Wallace Miller announced Battiste?s cause of death: chlorine gas poisoning.

Authorities say Battiste mixed Liquid-Plumr and another over the counter product, The Works, into the toilet bowl. The intense fumes resulted causing the man to call nine-one-one, but he apparently lost consciousness before he could tell dispatchers what was wrong.

Police responded quickly and say they were met by the strong fumes, which caused one officer?s knees to buckle. The house was ventilated and nobody else was hurt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts