Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any information on fabricting a 45rd AK74 mag ? How to take 2-30rd mags and put them together ? all input welcome . Thank You, Conley

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do you put then together ? Glue or ? info on how to do this - Cephus -Thanx for the input. Thank You, Conley

·
Registered
230 Posts
Conley said:
How do you put then together ? Glue or ? info on how to do this - Cephus -Thanx for the input. Thank You, Conley
Basically you can cut acouple mags and superglue (liquid, not gel) them together although not very strong other than display.

Max capacity is about 60rds if you place two 30 rd mags together. If you make 45rders you can also make some 10-15rd mags from the leftover pieces.

If you want the mags to be battle ready you can make a couple metal plates to glue to each side then you have one strong sun of a gun.. Make the plates continuous then you wont notice them. Some have even used thick aluminum foil glued with good results.

Its not rocket science. Make sure you dont get glue inside the mag body.

They are easy to make if you hafe a belt sander, hack saw and some liquid superglue. DONT USE GEL SUPERGLUE! It wont hold up.

Measure your mag. Mark your line with a pencil and cut the mags with a hacksaw.

Next true up the angles with a belt sander.

Then put small amount of liquid superglue on each half and press together. Make sure they line up quick! And dont allow any superglue to run inside the mag body!

After the glue dries, I put another bead of glue around the seam and allowed to dry overnight.

Then I took a very course sand paper and sanded the seam smooth then painted with a flat bakelite orange colored paint. 3 light coats. (if you scratch the paint, the original bakelight color is under the paint)

You can glue the smaller left over parts to make a 15rd mag if you wish.

If I remember the 30rd mag spring has 21 coils. If your making a 20rd mag then cut 1/3 or 7-8coils from spring. You may also have to shorten the mag follower a bit.

EG ak-74 mags with plastic followers are preferred in the 20 and 45 homemade mags.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
my usual answer for all fab questions TIG !!. I did this with a CETME, 2 twenty rounders gave me 45 rounds in one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats on you guys getting homemade mags to work. When I was in gunsmithing school ( I hate to keep saying that but it's my only reference point) Dr. Kreckel and I talked about making guns from scratch quite a few times. Guy was a physicist. He told me numerous times that the hardest part of a firearm to build is the magazine. The shape of the mag lips is the most important part in a properly functioning firearm. I've built guns from steel stock before, way before, and never even attempted to try modifying a mag. This guy could take a stock 870 and empty it before the first shotshell casing hit the ground, and catch the last. Frontline in Florida from subguns.com does C Mags for the AR class of rifles. I've wondered about that. Taking two AK drum mags and hooking them together so you have a major bullet hose. Be great on autobark but too damn heavy for a carry rifle. I'm going to have to start screwing around with mags now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
re:

Fargo said:
EG ak-74 mags with plastic followers are preferred in the 20 and 45 homemade mags.
Any particular reason for this? (bakelite material/ the followers themselves...)

Just curious, those are the 74 mags I have the most of so it's not a huge issue, just thought the ribbed Bulgarian mags might look a bit more "cool" once refinished.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Evil_WalksII said:
Any particular reason for this? (bakelite material/ the followers themselves...)

Just curious, those are the 74 mags I have the most of so it's not a huge issue, just thought the ribbed Bulgarian mags might look a bit more "cool" once refinished.
What cal are you planning to use?

The nice thing about the East German bakelite mags is that they only cost about $4 bucks each when everyone was in the big hi-cap mod craze. The metal followers were hanging up inside the mag and the plastic ones werent.

There is no reason you couldnt use the now readily available bulgarian 5.45 mags.

I have seen 7.62 bulgarian ribbed mags modified to higher cap and 20rds. They turned out really nice to the point you couldnt tell they were modifed. The guy used a tool to press industrial grade aluminum foil into the entire magazeine ribs (glue under the foil of course). Then he painted them black.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Conley!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Thycine - here is a pic of a 55rd and 75rd mag - Thanks all for the input - Thank You, Conley

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on the waffles - 55rd from two 30rd the 75 rd from two 40rd mags - the lines make it easy on them - i did not make them - but looks like know i can - let you know how it turns out - Thank You, Conley

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Fargo said:
60rd mag next to a bulgy 30.
Yowsers!!!!! Nice job man!!! Killer RPK mags :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, I built it. I have had some problems with durability. If I made them all over again I would have fabricated some light weight thin aluminum plates that were continuous on both flat sides of the mag. After refishing you would never know they were there.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
OR file down the joint area on both mag bodies and lay the aluminum plates into the filed down area, fill with filler material (bondo?) then sand smooth and repaint.

What about the springs - how are you joining two springs together? Tack weld?

·
Registered
230 Posts
hcpookie said:
OR file down the joint area on both mag bodies and lay the aluminum plates into the filed down area, fill with filler material (bondo?) then sand smooth and repaint.
Thats a good idea and would use allot less material. The continuous plates would be much stronger though.

hcpookie said:
What about the springs - how are you joining two springs together? Tack weld?
So far I am using a stretched out 30rd spring. Never test fired it yet to know if they work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts