Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/FAL_R1A1__308_Sporter_Rifle.html

Recently Assembled By Century International Arms, these are the finest yet! These Rifles are built on New Century Marked Metric Receivers, New Black Synthetic Stock Set, and most importantly, a New Barrel! They include 3-20rd magazines. Rifle as pictured. Hurry, this is the last time you will be able to buy these Rifles, they will not be making them any more!

$529.95

I can go pick it up since I live near AIM. Local gun shop has 1 or 2 most of the time. but they want $700+.

Seriously thinking about it. Any warnings or suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cephus said:
I'd do it I've bought a bunch of stuff from century and never had aproblem with anything.So if it's in the budget I'd go for it hell you know how expensive the mags are and they are one sweet piece,and alot a fun.
Also bought a bunch of stuff from Century. Very few problems. Might pay for you to check with them for some ammo too. They had Indian M80 last month cheaper than I can buy the components (I pay less than wholesale usually).

·
1,763 Posts
scubadvr said:
I would rather make my own, even with used barrels.

Aren't the used (de-mil'd) barrels chrome lined, and the replacement barrels just chrome-moly? I got to have chrome lined, but that's just me.....

Still seems like a good price tho...

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to build a FAL too, but the kits really dried up and building one for $529 is unlikely unless I wait and shop around a lot!

I have an opportunity here with some floating cash that the wife doesn't know about.

2 things I feel I need for my collection.

FAL and an AR. The AR I will build myself and the parts seem to never run out. The FAL scares me since the parts dried up quicker than I thought and there seem to be rumors of kits that never show up. I see kits going for 3 times what they were over a year ago. Seem like $529 is a heck of a price for these anymore. I remember looking at one in teh gun shop for $375 thinking they'll probably go lower then the BATFE decided teh kits wer illegal MG's and all hell broke loose on the market.

Next week might be a good week to take a 2 hour lunch and a drive to AIM :)

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
If it is a good price and it is something you want, go for it. That way you have an FAL instead of wondering should I have bought it. I know some might call that impulse buying, but sometimes it is needed. For an example, I had read about cetmes and thought hey I want one of those. I had some cash so went and bought one. Do I regret it, no. Should I have shopped around, maybe - but this one is an accurate shooter and looks nice without a ground bolt. Besides it put me on a first name basis with the guy that does ffl transfers for me. Same thing for the fal, if you want one and feel that is the way you want to go then all I can say is go for it :D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
sniper69 said:
If it is a good price and it is something you want, go for it. That way you have an FAL instead of wondering should I have bought it. I know some might call that impulse buying, but sometimes it is needed. For an example, I had read about cetmes and thought hey I want one of those. I had some cash so went and bought one. Do I regret it, no. Should I have shopped around, maybe - but this one is an accurate shooter and looks nice without a ground bolt. Besides it put me on a first name basis with the guy that does ffl transfers for me. Same thing for the fal, if you want one and feel that is the way you want to go then all I can say is go for it :D

Man, you know, you are absolutely right. I wish I had a buck for every thing I have passed up and wished I had gone the other way. I can honestly say, looking back I missed the boat about 95% of the time, ouch. Jack

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sniper69 and Scubadvr,

Those are the exact reasons I think I'll get one. 12 years ago I wanted one, hell when I was a 10 I wanted one just from seeing pics of them in my Dad's gun books.

I get the feeling the well is running dry on them very soon like some of the stuff we used to see before 94 and 89.

It's not really an impulse buy because I've been thinking of owning one for 25 years! :)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I will be going to the gun shows this summer with the express purpose of finding a reasonably priced M1 and M14. There is a military weapong addition to the September 04, Monroeville Expo Mart (Pennsylvania Gun Collectors) Show. Last month I was at the Harrisburg show and again passed up some pretty good buys on M1s and 03s and some Enfields. As a side, I have always wanted a 03 even though I really don't have much of an interest in a weapon that can't feed itself but the 03s and Enfields have always been the exception to my compulsive behavior. Although I really love my new Tommy Gun, like a Porsche its a work of art. Jack

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scubadvr said:
I will be going to the gun shows this summer with the express purpose of finding a reasonably priced M1 and M14. There is a military weapong addition to the September 04, Monroeville Expo Mart (Pennsylvania Gun Collectors) Show. Last month I was at the Harrisburg show and again passed up some pretty good buys on M1s and 03s and some Enfields. As a side, I have always wanted a 03 even though I really don't have much of an interest in a weapon that can't feed itself but the 03s and Enfields have always been the exception to my compulsive behavior. Although I really love my new Tommy Gun, like a Porsche its a work of art. Jack
My local gunshop has an M14 for $1100 right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts