Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ohioccw.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2647

The Akron Beacon Journal is reporting that a Family Dollar discount store was robbed Thursday night after a man posing as a customer said he had a gun and demanded cash, police said.

The holdup occurred at the Family Dollar store in the Wooster-Hawkins Shopping Plaza in West Akron. A clerk reported that a man entered shortly after 9:30 p.m. and approached the counter as if he were going to buy a soda pop.

Once the register was open, the man said he had a gun and ordered the clerk to put money in a plastic bag. Police said the robber fled with about $1,400.

The Beacon Journal failed to note that Family Dollar posts "no-guns" signs at entrances.

Family Dollar can be contacted at its corporate offices as follows:

Post Office Box 1017
Charlotte, North Carolina 28201-1017
Telephone (704)847-6961

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What's the point? They could readily justify their policy by pointing out that they don't want their customers bringing in firearms because in the event of an armed robbery they'd rather just give the guy the $1400 than endanger any of their customers by another customer with a concealed weapon engaging in gunplay with the robber. It's a matter of perspective and, as I see it, their right.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were just the $1400 at stake I couldn't agree with you more. And I were in the store and carrying, I probably wouldn't draw unless he was going to hurt someone.

But here in the real world, the robbers don't just always go for the money. Far too many times they leave behind a victim. When it's an innocent bystanders life at stake, then the rules change.

But the real point I was trying to make is that criminals don't obey signs or laws.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
We are in agreement, Preacher.

And I was just pointing out that whether it "worked" or not is determined by what you wanted it to do. By our standards, the sign was an absurd failure. But if what happened is what the store had in mind, then by their standards it succeeded.

And mostly just pointing out that it's their store and they've got the right to do stuff that you and I think is dumb.

FYI, in Nevada concealed carry is OK anywhere there isn't a sign prohibiting it. Accordingly, I have a tongue-in-cheek sign posted on my front door saying that firearms are prohibited. Of course, I have a small arsenal, and many of my friends pack weapons, some concealed, some openly. Some time ago I jokingly asked a friend of mine to check his gun at the door, so he fired it into the ground and said, "Yep. It works." (It's OK to shoot where I live.)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have similiar laws here. Maybe you can help me out with something I've always wondered about. I've seen off duty policemen "carry" in places that are prohibited. What rights does he/she have while off duty that I don't have as a CCW permit holder?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
It was one of the strange provisions of our new Ohio CCW law.

A lot of businesses had panic attacks and posted the signs. It is a PITA and when I have a chance, I don't shop there anymore but it is virtually impossible to maintain that stance or I would starve.

What is ironic is that my gun club does not allow concealed carry.
It is a cold range with no rangers and all firearms can only be loaded on the firing line.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Depends on your state law. I would suspect that there is an exception made in your state law for off-duty policemen. It used to be, don't know if it's still true, that in some locales off-duty policemen were not just allowed to do concealed carry - they were required to.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember a town down south that passed a law to where it would be a $25 fine if you(and by you I mean ordinary citizens) didn't have a weapon in your vehicle at night. People were getting robbed left and right. After the law passed, the robberies stopped. I had an old clipping with this story. If I can find it, I'll post it. Don't know if it's still in effect.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Preacher, seems to me that a town in Illinois passed a law some years back requiring that its citizens maintain firearms in their homes. It was passed more as an in-your-face reaction to antigun legislation than anything else, not really intended to be enforced as law, but seems to me that it did result in a reduction in burglaries.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
What's the point? They could readily justify their policy by pointing out that they don't want their customers bringing in firearms because in the event of an armed robbery they'd rather just give the guy the $1400 than endanger any of their customers by another customer with a concealed weapon engaging in gunplay with the robber. It's a matter of perspective and, as I see it, their right.
Tell that nonesense to all the people murdered by robbers AFTER they get the money!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
That happens, Johnson, but I do think it happens more often when folks resist a robbery. That's why bank tellers generally are instructed to hand over the money.

Two related anecdotes.

The first is a favorite of mine from the American Rifleman's "Armed Citizen" column. A thug enters a liquor store and holds a gun on the 80-some-odd-years-old owner. Who responds, "I hope you're good with that, sonny, because I've already lived my life and I'm about to reach for my gun." The robber ran off.

The second is from my checkered career: At one time worked as a night-shift clerk at a Stop-n-Rob. Some Cholos (teenage Mexican street-gang members) came in around 3AM one night and asked, "You going to sell us beer, or are we going to kick your ass, White boy?" Whereupon I answered: "I am not going to sell you beer. It'd be illegal for me to sell you beer. You're going to steal it. And then I'm going to give you five minutes before I call the cops and we never do this again. Is that a deal?"

It was a deal, and they kept their part of the bargain and never came back. Point being, though, is that even if I had a handgun I don't know that I'd ever bother shooting it out with a robber over something so petty as cash register contents.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think you are missing the point. Point being is that you cannot reason with SOME people. Some of THOSE people will kill you, unless YOU can stop it. Point.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Preacher said:
But here in the real world, the robbers don't just always go for the money. Far too many times they leave behind a victim. When it's an innocent bystanders life at stake, then the rules change.
Yup, agreed.
The stores money isnt mine, but I couldnt live with myself with watching some crack head shoot a innocent bystander, WHILE myself being able, cocked and locked with a CCW.

Me? I carry where I feel Im in the most risk of danger. Which is everywhere.
Ill say the famous quote again,

" Better to be judged by 12, than carried by six "

1 - 14 of 14 Posts