1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need more things to talk about.

I have a Polytech underfolder that is on top of my list,
then there is my Bulgarian SLR-100H.

What is your favorite or even a legal type AK rifle that you have or is obtanable? :ak47: :gunsmilie

·
Registered
954 Posts
I was thinking about this very question a couple days ago. I don't know my favorite. I like them all!

I have been trying to stick with a Soviet theme with my collection. So far I have a AK and RPK clone. Next on the list is going to be either a Dragunov or an AK74. If not for the direction of my collection, I would be in the market for a Polish Tantal.

If you could get one preban, what would it be? I think I would go for a Steyr Maadi.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I love any Bulgarian AK, but the SA M7S is my favorite, for the following reasons:

1. Milled receiver
2. Muzzle brake that is a pretty good flash hider (It came with the rifle; I didn't do ANYTHING TO IT!)
3. Scope rail on the side
4. Longer ergonomic buttstock

I prefer the SA M7 Carbine for CQB type matches because it has the shorter stock and no muzzle brake, but you can't beat the SA M7S in every other respect. My only criticism: it's a little heavy overall, and somewhat "nose heavy" due to the muzzle brake.

·
1,763 Posts
I shot a SA M7S the other day and it looked great and shot very well (and I know you don't want to hear this, but I even bumped a mag thru it)
My 'only' complaint was that the brake made it uncomfortably loud for me....huh?

·
Registered
621 Posts
kevin_m4 said:
I shot a SA M7S the other day and it looked great and shot very well (and I know you don't want to hear this, but I even bumped a mag thru it)
Actually, I WANT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT BUMP-FIRING. I'm in kind of a pissing contest now with justashooter on that full-auto thread because he thinks I'm a "know-it-all." I'm the first to admit that I based my thoughts about bump-firing on my own experiences. I could be wrong about it being unsafe, but I've heard too many people's assessment about what is really happening in a bump-fire to trust it.

I WANT somebody to give me some good info bump-firing. It could very well be perfectly safe; I'm just not willing to stick a rifle next to my body and bump fire it until I know for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im under the belief that bump-firing is really just the recoil of the rifle making it bounce against your stiff finger and and in essence just pulling the trigger again,there isnt any mods involved to the rifle and I dont see where any rifle that is safe to fire to begin with would have a problem.if someone knows different please enlighten me,anyday that you learn somthing new is a good day..

Oh Yeah im partial to my Norinco 84S

·
Registered
954 Posts
Penguin said:
Im under the belief that bump-firing is really just the recoil of the rifle making it bounce against your stiff finger and and in essence just pulling the trigger again,there isnt any mods involved to the rifle and I dont see where any rifle that is safe to fire to begin with would have a problem.if someone knows different please enlighten me,anyday that you learn somthing new is a good day..

Oh Yeah im partial to my Norinco 84S
I do not know differently, but I would think if you could pull the trigger faster than the bolt closing that it would be bad news. Not sure if bumping would let you do that or not. Never tried it...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Here is my oppinion and lets face it evryone has one
Bump fire is as safe as the opperator. It MUST be done at a safe place, not evry place to target shoot is safe to bump. that dose not mean the gun is out of controll but clearly a larger back stop only makes sence. I have the strap over my left sholder and the gun on my right hip. I am aiming with the left hand. the gun is NOT wild or out of controll. If anything it wants to go down not up. you have to pay attention but I hope you do any time you shoot. It is a lot of fun. I would recomend a high bank SAND pit without rocks in front of you. pretty standard stuff.
I however would not teach a 14 year old boy how to do it. but only because I would wonder about his safe judgment when I was not around.
Find yourself a SAFE place and bump away plenty cheap ammo out their. too fun not to try

·
Registered
621 Posts
hotbarrel said:
Bump fire is as safe as the opperator.
I think that the jury is still out on bump firing.

Apparently, it is a very rapid form of semi-automatic fire, and IF the action has time to cycle properly (chambering the round and locking the bolt) EVERY SINGLE TIME a round is fired, then it should be as safe as any other form of semi-auto fire.

The only problem I have with it and trigger manipulators like the Hellstorm is: by rapidly manipulating the trigger, is there a chance that the sequence of disconnector grabbing the hammer, trigger letting up, and trigger hook grabbing the hammer somehow being defeated enough that the round can potentially fire out of battery before the bolt closes and locks?

This is not to say it will happen the next time you bump fire, nor will it necessarily happen the 10,000th time you bump fire. I also suspect that without an extremely high-speed camera showing the sequence of events in the gun's action as it is bump-fired will we ever know for sure whether it can fire out of battery while bump-firing. I suspect the truth is that some guns have time to cycle fully, and others come close to firing out of battery every time. Since the AK-47's action is not "timed" in the way a revolver is timed, there is no way to know if a particular rifle is safe to bump fire or not.

I'm hoping that some enterprising person with a little bit of experience in testing and using high-speed cameras will eventually answer this question...

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
No that can't happen on an AK because the disconnector keeps you from pulling on the trigger until the bolt is in battery... didn't that get covered in the "don't file parts to make them full-auto" thread?

·
Registered
621 Posts
hcpookie said:
No that can't happen on an AK because the disconnector keeps you from pulling on the trigger until the bolt is in battery...
Yes, and it SHOULD BE doing that even in bump-firing. I'm just trying to err on the side of safety and say that because bump-firing involves such a rapid trigger manipulation that it could, I say COULD, defeat the disconnector's function.

I would just like to know more. If it's safe, I'd like to learn to do it too!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I've done it just to see if I could do it and what it was like.

To be honest, I think it is slightly unsafe, hard on the gun and a waste of ammo.

It is fun to try it and I don't knock anyone who enjoys it.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Favorite AK - Galil ARM
But since this site is heavily "Build it yourself" oriented I have to say I have a couple of favorites and they are "custom" guns. SonnyBubba's Bulgarian AK74 with his own modified front sight/gas block combo and an adjustable M-16 rear sight on the topcover. Along the same lines our own hcpookie's AK74 with his modified front sight/gas block. There was also a AK104 (By GirlGunR
)look alike where the 16" barrel was hidden inside a Krink like brake/hider combo.
As far as bumping I watched a guy(Famous trick shooter-forgot his name) on the "American Shooter"(OLN) do it ith a Colt 45. Pretty wild!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
mbakercad said:
Sangrun,
Is that East German furniture?
Yup, I got the pistol grip too, but it's not one the rifle. I might be selling the furniture soon. Since I have some woodworking skills I will be making some black Walnut furniture for it.

BTW:

Here is my Franken monster AK.

·
Registered
621 Posts
SangRun, you have some great lookin' gals, there! Here's a photo of my "ladies". (Thanks to USMC03 on another board. Photo was of two SA M7's; I used Microsoft Paint to shorten the stock and remove the muzzle brake on the top one--which is kinda scary because you can't tell the photo was altered).

Photo depicts an SA M7 Carbine (top) and standard SA M7 or SA M7S (bottom).

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts