Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats yours? My has to be Black Hawk Down. I never get tired of watching it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Some good contenders - Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, but I'd pick Blackhawk Down, too.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I have yet to see Black Hawk down.

Private Ryan and Band of brothers are my favs. I need to see when we were soldiers too. My uncle is Nam vet and was there in 1966-67. He was very happy to see When we were Soldiers because it depicted his Nam experience.

I also like Enemy at the Gates very much.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I guess I would vote for Saving Private Ryan. A great action movie with an even greater allegorical aspect.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saving Private Ryan is one of my favorite movies too. Its one I still need to pick up. I have We Were Soldiers and Enemies At the Gates. They are favorites of mine too.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I'll have to say "We were soldiers" for me. It really brings up old memories.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
I guess I would vote for Saving Private Ryan. A great action movie with an even greater allegorical aspect.
Waaaaaaaaah! People like you make me feel stupid, and don't you dare tell me to trust my feelings. I always miss allegories until they're explained to me, and then they become obvious. Can you please explain the allegory?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
At the end, Ryan as an old man is at the cemetery. Rather than triumph, nostalgia or even relief, he is anguished and disconsolate. He is asking his family if the sacrifice made for him was worth it. Words to the effect: Was I a good man. Did I live a good life?

I think saving Ryan and the uncertainty if it was worth what was sacrificed was an allegory to the current U.S.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Oh, that is pretty cool. And certainly a question worth asking in that larger context.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
That is why I have only watched that fine movie once.

I think it is personal avoidance.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Me and the wife both liked Pearl Harbor pretty good.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Privae Ryan stands up under repeated viewings. Each time I see it I catch stuff I missed the previous time(s). Same can be said of Blackhawk Down and We Were Soldiers.

Bit of an aside: What I think is rather brilliant about We Were Soldiers is that folks on both sides of the Vietnam War dispute - both folks like myself who think that war was redefined and lost with the introduction of US ground troops portrayed in the movie, and folks who think that introduction of US ground troops was a good idea and who supported the war - can watch the movie and see their point of view put across. There is something apolitical about valor.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, Patriot, I knew I had missed some good ones and could count on you guys to remind me what I still need to see.

One of the reasons I like Blackhawk Down was that it was almost nonstop battle. It really keeps me at the edge of my seat. (well first time anyway)

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Thinking about it more, I'll have to add Band of Brothers, even though it isn't actually a movie. That is a great series. My wife bought it for me for Christmas last year. I've watched the entire series twice, and think I'm about ready to watch it again soon.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
Thinking about it more, I'll have to add Band of Brothers, even though it isn't actually a movie. That is a great series. My wife bought it for me for Christmas last year. I've watched the entire series twice, and think I'm about ready to watch it again soon.
Band of Brothers is one of the few flicks that, having first read the book, I still really liked. Usually reading the book first is the kiss of death for a flick - as pointed out by those who read Enemy at the Gates before seeing the flick.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Of the movies mentioned, I think We Were Soldiers was the best war movie. The others, including Saving Private Ryan, suffered spots of implausibility.

Yes, Private Ryan had gore, almost enough to be realistic, but to set free a German soldier like they did would not have happened. Veterans of D Day and other battles saw too many friends and comrades in arms slaughtered by Germans to let one go loose. More likely, he would have been dispatched as shown in Band of Brothers. I had trouble with other actions as well. By the way, Band of Brothers was not a movie, but a TV miniseries, so I felt it did not qualify. It was probably the best wartime story of those mentioned.

The Patriot unnecessarily took liberties with truly great historical stories. Mixing fact and fiction was interesting, but it bastardized the Battle of Cowpens to be something it wasn't.

Pearl Harbor had some good scenes, but was a popcorn movie. I dreaded the use of modern warships in the attack scene, albeit in the background. Nothing today compares with the glory of iron warships with cannons raised into the air.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts