Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm wondering how important this is on a blank build, and what its general purpose is. obviously it cant be crucial as i have seen many builds where the front of the magwell is just flat. however all ready to assemble receivers seem to have them, so they must serve some purpose. does it make feeding more reliable, or does it just make it look cooler :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well,really it's usually called the magwell dimple(s) , but it's original intent was to help keep the magazine centered in the magazine well.

Can an AK work without the dimples? Sure,it just adds a little more stability.

On a "normal" AK the lower rails inside of the receiver,do not extend into the area where the dimples are so the dimples center the magazine.

In an AK such as a WASR the bottoms of the lower rails have an extension on the bottom of the lower rails that center the magazine in the magazine well.

The Saiga doesn't have the dimples, I believe as a purely cosmetic difference between the Saiga receiver and a "normal" AK. This is, I suppose to make it "not an AK receiver" and somehow miraclessly politically correct.

When it comes right down to it the lack of dimples has no effect other than disturbing the "look" of the effected AK.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
febisfebi said:
i'm wondering how important this is on a blank build, and what its general purpose is. obviously it cant be crucial as i have seen many builds where the front of the magwell is just flat. however all ready to assemble receivers seem to have them, so they must serve some purpose. does it make feeding more reliable, or does it just make it look cooler :)
It's there for a reason, but like many dimples it isn't necessary. I am fairly certain it was designed to maximize the clearance at the front of the mag when mag loading/unloading.

If you are building a blank, you can use blocks of wood to secure it, then another block of wood to hammer on the front of the mag well to create the dimple. Someone did that before and posted real good results with it. But its not necessary.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I belive he is refering to the dimple on the bottom of the receiver. I would say it is not necesary as my chicom doesnt have it...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ooooh ! That could be it Mike, I have magwell dimples on the mind.

The ramp - ish indentation on the bottom of the receiver, could be for easier insertion of the magazine ? Perhaps to make that area of the receiver stiffer ?

Only AKM's have the ramp thingy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, thats what I was wondering, is if it was cosmetic/make mag insertion easier or actually affected feeding. I'm just used to seeing it on all the new us made receivers.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
febisfebi said:
Thanks all, thats what I was wondering, is if it was cosmetic/make mag insertion easier or actually affected feeding. I'm just used to seeing it on all the new us made receivers.
I may have this wrong (as my memory stinks!) but I believe someone used the front of demilled receiver that came with his kit and as a jig to press it into his blank. I believe they did it after the magwell was cut. Anyone else remember this post? I'll check the other board and see if I can find it.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
You can find the post on the other bd, just do a search for post by Vulcan762 called "Duplicating AK 74 Trigger Swells?" He used a demilled receiver piece as a template and then made a 2 part die out of cold rolled steel. I hope this helps. He did great trigger swells too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts