Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating the idea of building a few AR's for myslef, since I don't own a single one. Since the ban has expired, and I can get what I want for a decent price, I figured I'd give it a whirl...along with a lot of encouragement from Max.

I apologize for such a long rant, but here we go!
:rant:
To make a long story short, I have recently moved to a new area, Atlanta, and am no longer able to deal with the dealer that I used before I moved. My previous dealer charged me $15 a transfer. I never ordered more than one at at time, so I don't know if he would've given me a discount on mulitiple transfers in one delivery...such as a couple of AR lowers.I went ahead and gave the local dealers a call to get their prices. First was $25 a transfer with no quantity discount. Second was $35 with no quantity discount. At this point, I just decided that it would almost be worth it for me to have them sent to my old dealer, and when I go back to visit family pick them up. But, this is really a PITA to do over a couple of lowers.

Why do dealers charge so much to "fill out the paperwork" to make a legitimate transfer? Or rather, why do they have to charge so much? I understand that they are invovled legally, have rent to pay, etc, etc. But why so much?

Is there anything else involved in a transfer from the distributor to my dealer other than him logging it into his books? How long does this actually take?..How many forms?

What is the average price in your state? The state of Georgia?

Do your local dealers give you a volume discount?

I'm by no means trying to step on anyone's toes here, I just have asked myself the question over and over again, and then just submit to forgetting about it instead of getting pissed off. Can someone help me feel a little better about paying $25-$35 per lower?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Where in Atlanta did you move? Im in Kennesaw. About 45 miles north of Atlanta. Should get together sometime and shoot. I know an outdoor range about an hour from my house. Theres a place in norcross, Id have to locate his phone number that usually has lowers in stock. I dont know what his tranfer fee is but a really nice guy to deal with. When I find his business name and number I will post it here for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Go to Gunbroker and find a dealer near you and have them do it. You will be amazed at the number of home businesses. I found a guy one block over from my house. You just don't know who you live next too.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The Gun Shop
4771 Britt Road, Norcross, GA 30093
(770) 908-2425

·
Registered
412 Posts
I work part time at a local gun shop. Transfers are another income source, but they also can be a liability too. Each transfer needs to be logged in and out of our bound books. Our store does have to keep records of transfers. The records must be maintained for twenty years. Our store has to assign a regular employee to do all of the reseach when the ATF calls, and needs us to track a firearm. A regular employee has to contact the person to whom the transfer belongs. A regular employee has to wait on this person when he or she arrives to recieve the transfer. A regular employee has to provide and follow through all of "paper work" for the State and Federal Government. There is always a lot of interest in "exotic" transfers, and this distracts employees from doing their regular duties, not to mention the "wow" factor that regular customers have. Transfers are in dirrect competition with the products that we sell. Granted there is not much mark up in new firearm sales, but there is a lot of mark up in "accessories".

I think that high transfer fees are ment to discourage individuals from doing them. (Believe me! I used to gripe about transfer fees until I understood what a seemingly simple transaction actually costs a busy shop.)

I hope that this helps explain what may be going on where you live.

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
I have 2 local dealers here in Columbia SC
My "gunsmith" charges me $35 per transfer, but I can transfer 6 items at once for one fee. Problem is that he does not handle pistols because he does not have a State Pistol licence.
Next door to him is a pawn shop that does transfers for $25 per weapon. He does pistol transfers.

Most of the time I use my "gunsmith" because I deal with rifles more then pistols.
There are a couple more FFL holders that can transfer for $20 or less, but I am sure that when I order my 6 OOW receivers that will cost me $120 in transfer fee's compared to $35.
I would shop around till you found a nice guy and stick with him.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MBadboyz, thanks for the info on the dealer. I will have to give him a call and see what he has in. I would love to get together and shoot, and or, build. I have been reading your posts on your new bending jig. Would love to see how it operates. I have one of 555th's.

TCPP, I appreciate the insight on what actually goes on for a transfer. There seems to be quite a bit more involved than what I thought. I never imagined that the prices might be high to discourage people from having guns transferred in. It is direct competition with them. Might as well keep the price up so that if you are losing sales to competition, at least you make a little to offset the loss of the sale.

I never thought of gunbroker. Can individuals legally run an FFL business out of their household? I heard that years back they let this fly a lot more. But, I thought they really pushed for a "storefront" now adays.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
here in AL the ffl I use does transfers for $35. I have done three at once for the same flat $35 fee. I could drive a half hour and get the transfer for $20 but then I have to start dealing with someone new, my time, cost of gas, and not knowing if that ffl will do multiples for the same fee. Also the ffl I deal with has no problem doing transfers and doesn't see it as competition seeing they took out the retail side of the shop and just do gunsmithing work now. There are others in town that I have heard do the transfers for less, but I have also heard they won't accept transfers from individuals but only from other ffl holders. That can sometimes drive up the cost of a transaction also.

·
Registered
582 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
I never thought of gunbroker. Can individuals legally run an FFL business out of their household? I heard that years back they let this fly a lot more. But, I thought they really pushed for a "storefront" now adays.

One can operate out of your house. It depends on the zoning. Expect an official visit and be able to prove that the part-time business is not a front for a hobby.

I can echo your pain regarding FFL transfer fees. I don?t want to sound like a broken record but one of my ?friends? agreed to host a mini-group buy on Vulcan AK receivers. We got a low quantity price. My ?friend? wanted a few for himself. We all got great delivered prices. After they arrived he announced that his $35 fee ($25 Fed, $10 state) applied to each receiver. The state charges $10 on ?regulated firearms? no matter how many you register. He made a few hundred on that part of the fee.

That soured our relationship and some of the guys were more than angry. I can see the costs involved but keeping 10 records of a sale for one guy in the same file doesn't seem to cost that much more than keeping one. When we shopped around for FFL?s the locals quoted fees ranging from $25 to $100.

For the next mini-buy we found a great FFL who charged us $10 per CALL TO THE NICS. He made building an AK more affordable. Five of us split 25 receivers; one guy bought 9 or 10. His transfer fee was =>$10. The new FFL gets all of our business now: transfers and purchases.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
F-Troop said:

Five of us split 25 receivers; one guy bought 9 or 10.
To my knowledge, I thought that if a private individual purchased more then 6 firearms (receivers are considered that by ATF) that you (as a FFL holder) had to contact the ATF.
I know this because my dealer limits me to 6 receivers per day.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
One time I asked about longguns versus handguns with transfers and the dealer locally told me that with longguns (rifles, shotguns, receivers papered as a rifle) there was no limit but that with handguns if more than one was purchased every so many days (can't remember the exact amount of days and don't want to say the wrong number) then one of the alphabet agencies was notified. Of course the advice of the dealer here could be right or wrong or possibly it could be a state law. This is the first I have heard of a limit on receivers - this is interesting and I am curious as to how other ffl dealers in other states have handled transfers of a quantity of receivers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here's another referral if you want:

Chris Stephens
Gold Art, Inc. d/b/a Mr Pawn
4230-10 Lawrenceville Hwy
Lilburn, GA 30047
phone: 770-923-5329
fax: 770-923-7296

Chris is listed on Gunbroker. He charges 10 to 15 per transfer. They're good guys.

I've used Phil at the Gun Shop in Norcross too. If you don't smoke be advised to bring your own oxygen. Nice people as well.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sniper69 said:
One time I asked about longguns versus handguns with transfers and the dealer locally told me that with longguns (rifles, shotguns, receivers papered as a rifle) there was no limit but that with handguns if more than one was purchased every so many days (can't remember the exact amount of days and don't want to say the wrong number) then one of the alphabet agencies was notified. Of course the advice of the dealer here could be right or wrong or possibly it could be a state law. This is the first I have heard of a limit on receivers - this is interesting and I am curious as to how other ffl dealers in other states have handled transfers of a quantity of receivers.

There is no limit what so ever as to how many guns, both rifles or pistols you can buy at any time.. State laws may vary??

However, if you buy more than 2 HANDGUNS in 7 days, the dealer is required to complete a "MULTIPLE TRANSACTION REPORT" and file it with the ATF by mail or fax. Even if you buy a pistol on monday, take it and shoot it. Then tuesday, you find another pistol you would rather have at the same dealer, trade the gun you just bought, on the new one. Then the dealer must do a "Multiple"

This however only applies to 1 dealer, you could buy a handgun at one dealer, drive across town and buy another handgun at another dealer with no problems..

The ATF DOES investigate "Multiples", however this usually result in no more than a phone call to the dealer. If the dealer knows you, then there should be no problem, But if a stranger came in and bought every handgun I have, when the ATF calls I would most likely tell him to investigate further. This would result in the ATF paying the person a vist at their home..

The law has to do with people buying handguns to sell on the street, basically..

My advice is to only buy 1 handgun at a individual dealer every 7 days and avoid this hassle..

·
Registered
582 Posts
DrugRunner stated: "To my knowledge, I thought that if a private individual purchased more then 6 firearms (receivers are considered that by ATF) that you (as a FFL holder) had to contact the ATF.
I know this because my dealer limits me to 6 receivers per day."

Ours did not and this guy is super careful. I was not aware of that requirement. In MD, I have a collector?s letter from the state police, that allows me to buy more than one ?regulated firearm? per 30 day period. Regulated firearms are handguns or any of the semi?s that MD classifies as ?assault rifles.? MD?s firearms laws are rather restrictive. For example, selling a regulated firearm to someone who is ?a felon, subject to a non ex-parte restraining order, a mental defective?..? carries up to a 5 year, $10,000 fine.

My FFL allowed me to buy 7 AK receivers in compliance with state ? and I believe federal law. Other FFL?s may limit transfers for their own reasons.

I am not an attorney and the patchwork of state firearms laws are complicated so take this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dirtalert said:
Here's another referral if you want:

Chris Stephens
Gold Art, Inc. d/b/a Mr Pawn
4230-10 Lawrenceville Hwy
Lilburn, GA 30047
phone: 770-923-5329
fax: 770-923-7296

Chris is listed on Gunbroker. He charges 10 to 15 per transfer. They're good guys.

I've used Phil at the Gun Shop in Norcross too. If you don't smoke be advised to bring your own oxygen. Nice people as well.
Dirtalert,

Thanks so much for the connection. I WILL definitely check these guys out! Glad to hear there are some dealers up here that are reasonable.

I want to hear some more about this "part time" from home FFL business. Anyone have any more details that they'd like to divulge on how these work? How prevalent are these types of dealers? I've never known of or heard of anyone doing this?

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
They were more prevalent (home ffl business) before Clinton took office if I remember right. I know in the late 80's to early 90's there were more than there is now. I'm sure there are others with more info than me on this subject - and I could be wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts