Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy makes sense and said what needed to be said. His e-mail link is at the bottom of the article. I expect everyone here to e-mail him and give him a pat on the back!

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=19052&ntpid=4

Wineke: Blame the shooter, not the gun or Hmong, in deaths

00:00 am 11/24/04
Bill Wineke Wisconsin State Journal

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

That's what those who oppose gun control legislation say, and I'm beginning to think we ought to take them seriously.

Six people from the Rice Lake area are dead and two are wounded, and police believe it's because a St. Paul, Minn., deer hunter took umbrage when told he was trespassing on private land.

Chai Vang was taken into custody after the shootings. He says the other hunters shot at him first. The accusation against him - he has not yet been formally charged - is that he shot the Rice Lake hunters deliberately, indeed, that he hunted them down and murdered them.

Vang is a Hmong immigrant; he is a naturalized American citizen and has lived in this country for 24 years. He holds a job and is raising a family. The weapon he used, an SKS 7.62 millimeter semi-automatic rifle, was designed for the Russian army in 1945 and can be purchased in American gun stores for as little as $100, according to Internet sites I read in preparing this column.

Initial reaction to the Sawyer County shootings speculated on previous problems with Hmong hunters not understanding or respecting private hunting areas. Soon after, people started talking about the rifle and about how it is probably too underpowered to be a good deer rifle.

None of that seems really relevant here. There are lots of Hmong people around and they've been here for decades now. I don't recall any previous incident of a Hmong person shooting someone who ordered him off private land. We don't know exactly what happened in Sawyer County, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Hmong culture as a whole.

Nor is the rifle relevant. The Internet sites - many of them posted years ago - frequently mention using the SKS for deer hunting (they say it's acceptable at close range but not good for longer range hunting). There's no reason to believe Vang bought the gun in order to cause mayhem.

But there is one factor that is relevant, I think. It's that, in St. Paul, Vang previously caused a gun disturbance. Police say he brandished a handgun during a family dispute three years ago and that he was involved in other family disturbance calls. No charges were filed in connection with the incidents.

Yet he had a rifle and he had a valid hunting license.

Perhaps we're looking at the gun control issue from the wrong end. Rather than banning the guns, perhaps we ought to keep a closer eye on the gunners. Perhaps we ought to have given St. Paul police the right to confiscate Vang's gun when they answered that first disturbance call. Perhaps anyone involved in a gun disturbance ought to be denied hunting privileges thereafter.

I expect that doing any of these things might raise Second Amendment constitutional challenges. There's never going to be a foolproof way of predicting who may end up in trouble.

Nevertheless, we ought to be able to find a way to keep all guns out of the hands of people who have proved themselves to be violent or unstable.

Even those who most oppose most forms of gun control admit some people just shouldn't have firearms. Rather than fighting these folks, perhaps it is now time to join them and determine if, together, we might formulate a policy that has some chance of working.

Reach Bill Wineke at [email protected] or 252-6146.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Finally some responsible journalism.
The guy actually did some homework rather than just spout off with a bunch of untruths.

email sent

·
Registered
625 Posts
Who knew? A Reporter actually doing research before writing the story. Now what we need is for this man to work for CBS.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oldgunner said:
Who knew? A Reporter actually doing research before writing the story. Now what we need is for this man to work for CBS.
I'm shocked! This sets a whole new precedent in journalism. I doubt CBS would go for it, perhaps FOX would. (Even they could stand to clean up their act a little bit) Good read though, I'd love to see more responsible journalism such as that piece.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I sent him an email thanking him for taking the time to do some research and that I appreciated it.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cephus said:
I got a reply from mine It seems that our reporter has a wife that comes from Bridgeprot W Va and stoped to let me know that he was glad to help.
Me too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got a reply as well. For an being what he proclaims as "usually on the other side," I think he did a very good job.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's important that everyone possible send him an encouraging note.

He will be buried with local (Madison, WI.) complaints, as will the newspaper.

Whatever we can do to offset that even slightly is beneficial to our cause, and to sanity on this issue.

If you've read this thread, PLEASE , drop Mr. Wineke a note to express your appreciation, it's important.

Thanks guys, this is an excellent Post, the liberal rag he writes for has the second largest circulation in the state.

If he wrote an article like that for the Milwaukee Journal, it would never have gotten printed. I admit I'm very surpeised that the State Journal printed it!

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
A big "Thank You" e-mail sent.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mr. Wineke took the time to reply to my e-mail today. He was very humble and almost seems shocked to have received such praise. I really didn't expect a reply but it was nice of him to take the time on this Thanksgiving holiday. Makes me wonder how many negative e-mails he's received from the "Million Mom's" type?

The first press I saw on TV was on CBS (no satellite receiver in this room) and disgusted me with their professional-sports type graphic displaying the SKS as some sort of object of evil. I know Mr. Wineke's piece was a breath of fresh air for all of us who are accomstomed to the average media coverage of such events.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I got a reply to my e-mail that I sent to him also........didn't expect a reply......especially on Thanksgiving day. I hope he gets a ton of "Thank You" e-mail's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts